Where to go after Mountain Highway - Dandeong?

marty_one

Re: Where to go after Mountain Highway - Dandeong?

Postby marty_one » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:55 am

Would love to see some maps (strava, garmin connect, etc...) of the routes your all talking about. I have been a local in Ferntree Gully all my life, but rarely gone into the Dandenongs until recently on my bike and even then it is only as far as Kalorama and back down to The Basin.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 am

Machoman121 wrote:
Machoman121 wrote:Thanks very much for all the road tips - i've now programmed a sort of round trip: Olinda - go along Olinda-Monbulk Rd (The Wall?) - go through Monbulk - turn right at Aldi into Emerald-Monbulk Rd - MoxihamsRd - Up Kallista-Emerald Rd - roundabout at Kallista turn towards Monbulk Rd - Perrins Creek and up Sassafras Creek Road to Sassafras.

Thanks for the traffic heads up on Belgrave-Gembrook Rd - sounds a bit too busy for my liking- I will give that a miss.
I've just returned from the above ride - and it's jaw dropping beautiful !!!!!! :P There were moments where i felt true joy going through my spine at the scenery that unfolds on the ride. It's a keeper for me - thanks hugely again for the tip.

Any more great recommendations?
Here's my above route planned on RWGPS (excellent cycling website) and used on the Cyclo 505 (do yourself a favour and get a Cyclo 505 - it's the better GPS over the Garmin): http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7365337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon May 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Rode up Channel 10 track and onto zig zag track from Doongalla on the weekend. Had flashbacks to BawBaw only this time it was on dirt. :shock:

BJL

Postby BJL » Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Machoman,
Just wanted to suggest that if you're on Strava, there is a 'Dandenong Ranges' group. One of the guys has been recently keeping a blog on the climbs in and around the Dandenongs. Check the discussion page for references. Also, since I've started riding, the Melways has become my best friend (I hate looking at computer screens all day) so just plan your rides along any roads you haven't ridden yet. I think we've covered the main roads to be wary of in this thread but generally speaking, The Dandenongs are okay during the week but busy on weekends, especially in the afternoons. At night, it's a different world altogether :D

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:33 pm

BJL wrote:Hi Machoman,
Just wanted to suggest that if you're on Strava, there is a 'Dandenong Ranges' group. One of the guys has been recently keeping a blog on the climbs in and around the Dandenongs. Check the discussion page for references. Also, since I've started riding, the Melways has become my best friend (I hate looking at computer screens all day) so just plan your rides along any roads you haven't ridden yet.
I"m not a Strava user - I've signed up and looked around but can't find anything close to that - the closest i've found is written by a blog by Nicole Justice titled 'Seven Sweet Cycling Routes in Melbourne' - is that it? not much new info to me.....

I'm looking for reasonable 'rideable' suggestions for the Dandenongs that I can string along to make a great route. Sorry I'm not exactly a great example for the human species - just a typical weekend warrior so please suggest the easier/easiest climbing roads.....

kb

Postby kb » Sat May 09, 2015 10:02 am

Brendan Edwards. http://dandenongrangesadventures.blogspot.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's a bit of everything but centred around the Dandenongs. The Strava club is http://www.strava.com/clubs/dandenong-ranges-79601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:36 am

Blackburn Cycling Club are running the The 2015 Regional Hill Climb Championships Sunday 27th with the first rider off at 9am. Therefore probably best to avoid for a few hours this Sunday morning...