Where to go after Mountain Highway - Dandeong?

Strydz

Re: Where to go after Mountain Highway - Dandeong?

Postby Strydz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 am

BJL wrote: While I'm at it, I may as well mention that IMHO the entire tourist road from Kalorama oval to Olinda should be ripped up and rebuilt. For a tourist area, IMHO, it's a shambles.

If you all think that I'm too much trouble, fine, I'll drop it. I don't go to Skyhigh anymore anyway. I was thinking of improving things for everyone else. I'll be refraining from raising any further safety issues in the Dandenongs (or anywhere else for that matter) as I don't want to be labeled a bloody idiotic, careless maniac of a rider on a POS bike.

OP, sorry for highjacking your thread. I won't be discussing this any further on this thread.
They have been slowly resurfacing small parts along that section late last year, the worst area now is up closer to Olinda close to whatever that 1st Pub is on the left, that is a shambles!
Sorry to read you won't comment anymore in this thread, doesn't make sense to me as all ive read in this thread so far is helpful weather I agree with the opinion or not
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:18 pm

So they've ripped up the speed bump that had the spikes in it and now there's a massive pothole there instead, awesome :roll: .

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:49 am

danny the boy wrote:So they've ripped up the speed bump that had the spikes in it and now there's a massive pothole there instead, awesome :roll: .
Lets hope its on its way to getting fixed otherwise SkyHigh management can't complain if cyclists leave via the entry gate.
2014-Giant TCR SL

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Why is Perrins Creek Rd seemingly more popular than The Crescent? I find The Crescent an absolutely beautiful ride - the bottom 3/4 heading - from Monbulk Rd - is flat and relaxing - it starts to ramp up as it nears the top coming into Mt Dandenont Tourist rd - all of it is still very do-able except that the tougher sections just happens to be quite long - like for about 300metres. I do struggle to finish the last few hundreds metres non-stop. I've only done it once standing on the pedals all the way (only cause my other rider told me not to stop) .....otherwise the hurt gets too much for too long.

I've looked at the topo map and Perrins Creek Rd seems much more steeper/abrubt in the ascent. Is Perrins Creek a better ride?

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:58 am

Perrins is steeper and longer and you can continue across the tourist rd for an extra bit if your game :wink: .

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Machoman121 wrote:Why is Perrins Creek Rd seemingly more popular than The Crescent? I find The Crescent an absolutely beautiful ride - the bottom 3/4 heading - from Monbulk Rd - is flat and relaxing - it starts to ramp up as it nears the top coming into Mt Dandenont Tourist rd - all of it is still very do-able except that the tougher sections just happens to be quite long - like for about 300metres. I do struggle to finish the last few hundreds metres non-stop. I've only done it once standing on the pedals all the way (only cause my other rider told me not to stop) .....otherwise the hurt gets too much for too long.

I've looked at the topo map and Perrins Creek Rd seems much more steeper/abrubt in the ascent. Is Perrins Creek a better ride?
It's not as challenging. Although I agree The Crescent is a more pleasant ride, it's only in the last 200 metres or so that it's relatively steep whereas Perrins is shorter but has a more consistently steep gradient. Is it a better ride? depends what you want from a ride.

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:21 am

They are both nice climbs but the thing with Perrins is that you can settle in and grind it out and once you take the Hairpin its backs off and you can cruise to the "summit", get a clear run with the traffic and keep going for added punch to your Perrins experience :)
2014-Giant TCR SL

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Strydz wrote:get a clear run with the traffic and keep going for added punch to your Perrins experience :)
I've done similar with 1:20 repeats, by turning left and finishing by the water tank on Range rd through Olinda makes it a 10km climb... :D

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:51 pm

Or Inverness for a bit of dirt and more up across Tourist rd

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:15 pm

Do u guys find the initial part of Sherbrooke Rd very rough? (coming from Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd) - I got to remind myself to let some air out on the tires - not sure what you call the road type but it had some chip stones in places and it really vibrated terribly through the bike for about 200 metres. I hate that spot.

Rode Perrins Creek Rd today - I can now confirm (for myself) that there's ton's more climbing on Perrins than The Crescent. While they both start from the same spot on Monbulk Rd the climbing never really stops on Perrins. Luckily I was feeling relatively good (came straight from Mountain Highway) and was able to pretty much take all the climb back up to Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd.....did had to stop once for a pee break. I can't recall any flat spots on Perrins - i kept on looking ahead for the ascent to flatten out to recover but it just kept on going up and up, climbs after climbs - they are not super duper tough climbs but still hard as there's no flat spot to recover. But it was a good challenge and again i love the scenery that comes along with it. And there were very few cars too so it's fantastic!

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:21 pm

perrins is great..wish the road surface was a bit better

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:05 pm

If you don't mind gravel try Basin-Olinda Rd, Silvan Rd and Olinda Ck Rd. In any order or direction.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:28 am

Did a nice loop Monday that incorporated Wallaby track, Georges track, Silvan rd and Matthias track on the CX bike. Also descended Basin-Olinda Rd... The later could do with a grader running over it - though still okay to climb on a road bike.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:56 pm

^^The bottom 2k of BORd was being graded on Tuesday. [emoji6]

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 pm

I"ve ridden Dandenong now quite a few times and think i'm getting a sense of the traffic -it seems lightest on sunday mornings as the locals sleep in. Saturdays can be a touch busy as the locals get out to do their chores mixed with tourists - shopping etc.

Big public holidays are also good low traffic days when the shops are closed on Dandenong and everywhere else like New year, Christmas, easters should be good too. I spent New Year day riding the Dandenong's and it was marvelous with very little traffic on the main roads.

All my rides have been in the mornings which i think should have the lowest vehicle traffic.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:56 am

Quietest time all week is Mondays about 11am-2pm. If you can manage it.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Last year and the year before I did a Super Crucifix on Easter Monday. Traffic was good and the ride seemed appropriate ;-)

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:15 pm

rodneycc wrote:coming back along Canterbury rd down the big straight hill you can hit a little bump thats hard to see. I wind up ready to go down at 80km and that bump gets me sometimes and throws you a bit so be careful there. Ive nearly come a cropper a couple of times.
I think u meant when going downhill along Mount Dandenong Tourist Road - heading towards Canterbury road? There is a metal grating with the road built up around it and it is a bit of a hump - and if u go through it at speed - especially at 80KMH????? on a cycle -it could potentially be a bit dangerous. I'll look behind a see if there's any cars behind and swing out to take the lane and avoid riding over it.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:26 pm

There might be something along there too but my pet hate bump is along Canterbury rd just out from Montrose going down that long hill into Kilsyth (love the hill mind you. I get my top speeds ever cranking hard down that hill). I.e Past the old ex-indoor go cart place and also ex Pool hall place. Many a mis-spent youth/young adulthood day frequenting those two places that's for sure!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

kb

Postby kb » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 am

rodneycc wrote:There might be something along there too but my pet hate bump is along Canterbury rd just out from Montrose going down that long hill into Kilsyth (love the hill mind you. I get my top speeds ever cranking hard down that hill). I.
Yep. That one's got me a couple of times and usually close to 80kph. These days I generally turn right at Mt Dandenong Rd to Croydon. Also a nice downhill run but more suburban.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:34 pm

With shops closed on Easter Friday - and few reasons for citizens to get into a car - I predict it'll be a great time for us cyclist to be on the road!!!!! See u guys on the mountains on Easter.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Machoman121 wrote:With shops closed on Easter Friday - and few reasons for citizens to get into a car - I predict it'll be a great time for us cyclist to be on the road!!!!! See u guys on the mountains on Easter.
Easter Sunday is always deadly quiet on Mt Dandenong, particularly in the morning. Great day to be riding.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Monday looks best weather wise though

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 pm

What's riding on Olinda-Monbulk and Monbulk road like - it looks narrow. Do u recommend it? Will i hold traffic up too much?

I want to try The Patch but need to find a way to return to Sassafras - or Olinda.

Was thinking of trying out Upper Coonara road and came across http://theclimbingcyclist.com/domestique-dirty-dandys/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which describes many of these smaller roads up in the Dandenongs. I came across Old Coach Rd on the map the other day and thought great - i'll give that a try - i didn't realise it was so gravelly - it was steep and lots of loose sand and stones - I backed out of it and went back onto the main roads.

BJL

Postby BJL » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:19 am

Olinda-Monbulk Rd (The Wall) I've ridden heaps. Never had an issue with traffic but it is busy at times.
I've only ridden Monbulk Rd from Monbulk --> Kallista twice. Didn't like it as it's very busy. Descending it towards Monbulk is okay.

I find the best way back from The Patch is through Kallista and up either Perrins Creek Rd or Sassafras Creek Rd. Both relatively quiet roads. I prefer Sassafras Creek Rd as it's only steep for a short section at the top and is a nice ride the rest of the way.
To get from Monbulk to Kallista, you can try Priors Rd or Murray Rd. I usually plan my rides so I ride Kallista-Emerald Rd towards Kallista on the way home. That way I avoid Monbulk Rd for the most part and it's a descent through Kallista to Perrins so I get a short rest near the end of the ride and don't hold up traffic as much.