Main Yarra Trail - Warrandyte end

digbyj

Postby digbyj » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi All,
Does anyone know if the Main Yarra Trail at the far end where it links up with Mullum trail, is it sealed or gravel?
Wanting to know if I can get to Park Rd as another option to riding the Eastern Fwy trail.
Keep on bikin'
Digby

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:58 am

There are a few Kms of very good gravel trail from Fitzsimmons Lane until the paved trail resumes again out to Park Rd. The gravel is actually smoother than many sections of the older paved trail. It's certainly no worse than the gravel trail section from Burke Rd out through Heidelberg.

I often do the Koonung/Mullum/MYT loop from Balwyn North, either way is good.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Toyopet

Re: Main Yarra Trail - Warrandyte end

Postby Toyopet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Yes. I agree with cyclotaur on the gravel being very rideable.
I’ve ridden it many times, often on a road bike with 23mm tyres.

There are also a few sections of wooden boardwalk between Westerfolds and Warrandyte.
These are more of a concern to me than the gravel, as one side of the boardwalks is decked out with wire mesh to prevent people slipping in the wet.
You’ll never spot a bit of broken mesh and it can get through your tyre – it’s happened to me.
You can try to stay on the non-mesh side of the boardwalks, but it’s not always possible due to the occasional walkers, dogs and children on bikes.

This end of the Main Yarra Trail is a very enjoyable alternative to the Eastern Freeway Trail.
It will be even better if & when the Mullum Trail extension is completed south of Park Road.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:13 am

Yes, as others have said, sealed trail all the way from before Beasley's Nursery to Park Rd. There is work slowly happening on the track after Park Rd, and it is quite possible to follow a (sometimes rough) track right through to Quarry Rd and the Mullum/Koonung Trail. Don't try it on your racing bike though.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

digbyj

Postby digbyj » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:37 am

Thanks all, rode it yesterday, was more gravel than we were expecting but a nice ride, gave us a chance to take it easy and have a bit of a chat! Looped back via Eastern. Yeah fine on a 23 but wouldn't wanna hit it too hard.
Cheers