Wellington St, Fitzroy

fat and old

Wellington St, Fitzroy

Postby fat and old » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:28 am

For those affected....Wellington St Copenhagen treatment works begin next Monday 16/3. Starting at Gipps St working inbound, 150m at a time. Estimated to take 4-6 weeks, both sides. Yarra council should have some signage up advising alternate routes etc by now.

Enjoy.

fat and old

Re: Wellington St, Fitzroy

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:39 am

Finally....the bike lanes are slated to be resheeted next Monday, 29/6. All being well opened on Wednesday I believe.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Unfortunately they lead to a hostile dead end at Victoria Parade. Even more hostile thanks to the bus lane and bus drivers harassing threatening cyclists and giving punishment passes.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:53 am

human909 wrote:Unfortunately they lead to a hostile dead end at Victoria Parade. Even more hostile thanks to the bus lane and bus drivers harassing threatening cyclists and giving punishment passes.
Right than left at Clarendon isn't bad. I sometimes run up Victoria into LaTrobe but wouldn't recommend it unless you have a thick skin. Wouldn't go down Victoria if I could help it, either. One of my regular routes home is along Wellington out-bound and right at Gipps St. Tried out the new lane last night but the right turn is now a bit of a nuisance, as being closed off in a separated lane, there's not enough time to safely get across to the right lane :-(

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 am

With Copenhagen-lanes and such in Europe the general approach is a hook-turn. Their light phases are very short so that people quickly move through and large numbers do not often build to block the lane.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

kb

Wellington St, Fitzroy

Postby kb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:22 am

il padrone wrote:With Copenhagen-lanes and such in Europe the general approach is a hook-turn. Their light phases are very short so that people quickly move through and large numbers do not often build to block the lane.
Hook turn from the cross bar of a T-intersection? Crossing is on the wrong side :-(
Doesn't really matter though. There are better ways home.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:21 pm

kb wrote:
il padrone wrote:With Copenhagen-lanes and such in Europe the general approach is a hook-turn. Their light phases are very short so that people quickly move through and large numbers do not often build to block the lane.
Hook turn from the cross bar of a T-intersection? Crossing is on the wrong side :-(
Doesn't really matter though. There are better ways home.
How to do such a turn in Utrecht (note: they ride on the right side). Cyclist waiting to do so. You just cross at the crossing :idea:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZmuEJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are talking about un-controlled intersections, well yes, you just need to negotiate your journey (various options).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:05 pm

Yeah, crossing at the crossing works. Just means 2 light cycles instead of half a cycle.
Overall (for me) I'd rate it as improvement coming in and slightly worse going home.

Wheelsucka

Postby Wheelsucka » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:21 pm

human909 wrote:Unfortunately they lead to a hostile dead end at Victoria Parade. Even more hostile thanks to the bus lane and bus drivers harassing threatening cyclists and giving punishment passes.
[removed by moderator]
Get to the south end of Wellington St, turn into Vic Parade and, oh look, the buses are being held back by signals.
99.9% of riders going up the hill turn left into Clarendon ST towards the MCG/river or Albert St.
I would love this to go further north but i know ours is an incremental game, unlike some I'm not selling unrealistic quantum leaps

Nice one City of Yarra!