Maribyrnong trail near Brimbank Park

Bentnose

Maribyrnong trail near Brimbank Park

Postby Bentnose » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm planning a route along the Western Ring Road bike path and will link up with the Maribyrnong trail near Brimbank Park to Footscray. Does anyone know what the trail surface is like, is it gravel or concrete? It's a bit hard to make out on Google maps.
No signature

Procat

Re: Maribyrnong trail near Brimbank Park

Postby Procat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Coming down from the Ring Road path to the Maribyrnong trail is steep and loose gravel. There is a cyclist dismount sign for a reason though if experienced and on a mountain bike you may be able to ride down. Once down on the Maribyrnong trail itself it is dirt/gravel until just past where you cross the creek at Steel Creek Reserve. I wouldn't fancy doing it on a road bike myself but it might be manageable if very careful.
Doug

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks Procat, might be a good excuse to take the CX bike out instead.
No signature

Procat

Postby Procat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Bentnose wrote:Thanks Procat, might be a good excuse to take the CX bike out instead.
That is certainly my preference on that section of the trail. :D
Doug

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:57 pm

According to Strava the descent from the Ring Road is up to 13.5% average of 9%, 21M drop in 500M, nothing the CX bike can't handle.
No signature

gnarly_rider

Postby gnarly_rider » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:14 am

From the ring road to Aberfeldie (Steele Creek Reserve, where the trail climbs a series of tarmaced switchbacks up the hill) is about 9km of pretty much all fine gravel/dirt mixture (pretty much hardpack for the most part, with some occasional tiny soft sandy patches here and there). As below, fine on a CX/commutter/road bike with mid-width tires. Tarmac from there to Foot-a-scray. :P

The descent from the ring road to the river is steep but quite manageable if you already have confidence / off-road skills (which I guess you do based on your photo avatar). I drop down it irregualry on a surly with 700x32s. Certainly not restricted to a mountain bike.

Gradient/time info if you need: https://app.strava.com/activities/183666197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Edited with a strava link with more river route)

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:18 am

Thanks for the input guys, I've made my route on Strava, will be Tullamarine start, WRR bike path to Brimbank Park, onto the Maribyrnong trail to Footscray. Then along Footscray Rd bike path onto Capital City Trail to Moonee ponds Creek trail and back to Tullamarine along there, about a 2 hour ride on the CX bike.
No signature

Procat

Postby Procat » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Bentnose wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I've made my route on Strava, will be Tullamarine start, WRR bike path to Brimbank Park, onto the Maribyrnong trail to Footscray. Then along Footscray Rd bike path onto Capital City Trail to Moonee ponds Creek trail and back to Tullamarine along there, about a 2 hour ride on the CX bike.
Enjoy.
Doug