Main Yarra Trail - what bike should I take?

daveywonder

Main Yarra Trail - what bike should I take?

Postby daveywonder » Wed May 20, 2015 8:34 am

I'm planning on riding from Eltham to the city on the Main Yarra Trail. I haven't ridden it before and I can't find much info on what the terrain is like.. Will my crosscheck be up to the job? Or should I borrow a mate's MTB.

BenGr

Re: Main Yarra Trail - what bike should I take?

Postby BenGr » Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 am

Road bikes can handle it fine (as long as you don't take a shortcut onto the single track). The gravel is in pretty good condition. Just be a bit more careful in corners and you'll be fine with anything.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed May 20, 2015 2:30 pm

You will see plenty of mountain bikes along the way, Davey, but mainly because of the side trails in Heidelberg and Candlebark Park opposite Eltham.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Wed May 20, 2015 3:41 pm

daveywonder wrote:I'm planning on riding from Eltham to the city on the Main Yarra Trail. I haven't ridden it before and I can't find much info on what the terrain is like.. Will my crosscheck be up to the job? Or should I borrow a mate's MTB.
Here's how I see this will go down.

If you ride the crosscheck, it'll be a great ride and you'll feel it, but every entry point to the 50km or so of singletrack that you'll ride past, you will kick yourself that you didn't borrow the MTB to sample those wonderful MTB trails.

On the other hand, if you do borrow the MTB, you'll become distracted with the MTB trails and get to the other side of the boat houses and wonder where on earth the day went. And you'll really feel it.

I reckon separate the two. Grab the MTB and as soon as you cross the bridge into Candlebark, immerse yourself in that great singletrack and get it our of your system. Then on another occasion ride the Main Yarra Trail to the city and you won't be tempted by the MTB trails.

Either way you're in for big smiles and a bloody good ride.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 20, 2015 9:40 pm

clackers wrote:You will see plenty of mountain bikes along the way, Davey, but mainly because of the side trails in Heidelberg and Candlebark Park opposite Eltham.
Hardtail or duallie? :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed May 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Road bike or touring bike will be fine to ride the Main Yarra Trail. If you choose the MTB thing and go riding all the side tracks, you'll take all day to get just to Fairfield Boathouse and home again.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 am

Mulger bill wrote:
clackers wrote:You will see plenty of mountain bikes along the way, Davey, but mainly because of the side trails in Heidelberg and Candlebark Park opposite Eltham.
Hardtail or duallie? :D
You'll see duallies, MB. Hans Loop in the high ground of Candlebark is AFAIK the oldest set of MTB tracks in Melbourne, pre dating both Lysterfield and the You Yangs.

The section between Studley Park Boathouse and the Chandler Highway bridge is another that's really good for a dually.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 21, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks mate. :-D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:42 am

You don't need a duallie on the Yarra trails including Han's loop - I've ridden it a number of times on my CX...

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm

dalai47 wrote:You don't need a duallie on the Yarra trails including Han's loop - I've ridden it a number of times on my CX...
No one's saying you do, Dalai.

Many sections could even be done on a Penny Farthing! :-D

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:16 pm

clackers wrote:Many sections could even be done on a Penny Farthing! :-D
Would love to try that one day! :D

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu May 21, 2015 7:37 pm

I regularly do the MYT on my single speed, or fixed, running 28s - no probs and lots of fun. Fixed actually seems a bit more stable once you get the hang of it.

I've done one of the side MTB trails on the single speed. Rather challenging!