Melb metro west: MTB/BMX/RdCrit hub proposal Ardeer.

Marx

Melb metro west: MTB/BMX/RdCrit hub proposal Ardeer.

Postby Marx » Fri May 29, 2015 5:41 pm

FYI:

This proposal is currently seeking community feedback, feeback is possible via their website (link below).
http://www.buzz.brimbank.vic.gov.au/hav ... ster-plan/

There are also new 'shared paths' along Forest Rd along the railway line, & Korioit creek has a new shared path between Sunshine & the Ring rd too, that both intersect with the area they want to do this bike development at.

Cycling enthusiasts! Have your say on the proposed Ardeer Green Activity Hub Draft Masterplan! Proposed facilities include
• A one kilometre long and eight metre wide criterium circuit
• A small single track cross country Mountain Bike circuit
• A recreation or competition BMX track
• Dirt jumps/pump track
• A cycling education centre made from shipping containers
• Significant tree planting
• Rehabilitation and extension of remnant grassland.

PDF of proposal: http://www.brimbank.vic.gov.au/files/b8 ... erplan.pdf

The land is currently managed by City West Water, previously Orica before the Ring Rd went in.
There is an intention to have these facilities to be used for also running events/races, & perhaps have clubs staged here (BMX etc).
There was a tent up at the site last weekend with free sausage-in-bread, which I rocked up to.
There were a few people who attended from local residents & BMX interests. I understand the nearest BMX track is in Werribee. There was also someone from StKilda CC as well.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

dalai47

Re: Melb metro west: MTB/BMX/RdCrit hub proposal Ardeer.

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Sounds promising, thanks for posting. Will provide feedback now.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Yep yep yep, I grew up in that area long before the ring rd went through, so many gaps in the ICI fence for a bunch of young lads to explore. Creek was pretty toxic back then...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Marx

Postby Marx » Sat May 30, 2015 12:55 pm

I actually asked about the toxicity of the site, as MTBers & BMXers will be tearing about raising dust which they'll take in.
I used to do the MTB dirt crits at Westgate & came a massive cropper landing me in hospital emergency. Stiching me up the surgeron mentioned that there were some very undesirable elements in the gravel & dirt in my wound. Many & various injections followed. Westgate park was essentially a landfill site in a previous life.
Not aware of the Ardeer site history, although Orica have known to dabble in chemistry.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Marx wrote:I actually asked about the toxicity of the site, as MTBers & BMXers will be tearing about raising dust which they'll take in.
I used to do the MTB dirt crits at Westgate & came a massive cropper landing me in hospital emergency. Stiching me up the surgeron mentioned that there were some very undesirable elements in the gravel & dirt in my wound. Many & various injections followed. Westgate park was essentially a landfill site in a previous life.
Not aware of the Ardeer site history, although Orica have known to dabble in chemistry.
Mainly HE manufacture at both Deer Park sites, I'm pretty sure that the area concerned was mainly buffer zone.
Still worth mentioning tho...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun May 31, 2015 7:36 pm

That whopping great pile of dirt that was shaped then had the flag things planted on it next to the ring rd at the Western Hwy interchange.......that's a whopping great pile of Cat A (iirc...could be cat b) contaminated fill that's been "sealed" and deemed safe :lol: I was a foreman on the earthworks for the wrr between st albans Rd and Western Hwy. You don't wanna know what's around there.

The fill came from the housing development, not the roadworks.