bike hire in Melbourne

yugyug

bike hire in Melbourne

Postby yugyug » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Does anyone have any bike to rent out, or tips for finding a bike to hire in Melbourne?

I'm visiting this coming weekend, saturday to tuesday. The city bike share's not going to work for me and it looks like bike shop bike hire is more than I want to spend. Spinlister doesn't seem to have anything suitable or in my size. Are there any other places I should check?

I'm 5'7'' and ride a 53 square roughly. Any bike will do, prefer road bike or ss/fixie, but dutch bike/town bike would be cool. I'm staying in Collingwood, but pickup anywhere between there and the airport would be fine.

thanks in advance :)

misterhorsey

Re: bike hire in Melbourne

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Is this too exxy?

http://thehumblevintage.com/rentals/rates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I quite like the bike hire bikes for a change. They are super dorky but quite comfortable.

There's even a KOM one wandering around with red polka dot colour scheme

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:36 am

what about http://www.bikes.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are in prahran on high street and from what I have seen it looks like they do bike hire.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Great, thanks both, :) ill check them out when I'm home tonight

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:10 pm

Ok I figured out I could hire from Tokyo Bike which is close to where I'm staying. They don't charge for the public holiday either which is nice. :D All good.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:45 pm

yugyug wrote:Ok I figured out I could hire from Tokyo Bike which is close to where I'm staying. They don't charge for the public holiday either which is nice. :D All good.
Ha! I work across the road from them, kind of, and can see their shop if I stand up...as I'm typing!

I would've suggested them but had no idea they hired bikes.

Have fun! Hope the weather isn't as cold and wet for you as it is now

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Had a fun long weekend down in Melbourne. Tokyo Bike worked out well, very fit for purpose for pootling around the inner city. I also took it on a longer ride up the Merri Creek path - that was when their default saddle didn't really agree with me and I missed a Brooks, but a good rental anyway.

Impressed with Melbourne re: cycling in general: bike lanes and racks everywhere, and thoughtful drivers, at least in the collingwood-brunswick and CBD areas. Really improved from the last time I was there and perhaps now best in Australia? Good if there were more separated infra but the painted lanes (sometimes with rumble strips and painted buffer zones) are often very wide and matched with a correspondingly very narrow lane for cars. Didn't fully adjust to riding alongside tram tracks on roads without bike lanes though... another thing to calculate in addition to door threats and lane claiming issues!