Donna, Lake Mountain and Acheron's way in Sep - doable?

ab012

Postby ab012 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm

HI everyone

Have a free cycling day down in Melbourne on 12/9 (sat). Tempted to try something like

http://www.strava.com/local/au/melbourn ... /routes/64

(Warburton - Lake Mountain - Acheron's way - Donna Buang)

(actually - think thats like the cycling tips Nov ride?)

Some questions
- Is it going to be safe to go up Lake Mountain and Donna in Sep? Thinking about e.g. snow on the descent in particular
- I will be on a road bike on 23 tyres - my google searches suggest that Acheron's dirt component is doable in that - depending on time of year - is this feasible in Sep?
- google search again suggest traffic to be ok on this route (i.e. minimal) - as I will be doing this solo most likely, is there anything i need to be careful of?

Thanks in advance!

mtb1011

Re: Donna, Lake Mountain and Acheron's way in Sep - doable?

Postby mtb1011 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:44 pm

unless there's bad weather this week, the road (Mt Donna) is fine at the moment (rode up there 2 weeks ago). The only snow is right on the summit. All other roads are as usual.

think lake mountain will have an entry cost, snow cam on LM as you can see, no snow. cams

I've gone from Warburton Lake Mountain Return via Reefton Spur - pretty tough and isolated ride. friends have done the Marysville to Acheron Way no problems on road bikes (hard pack dirt road).

your main risk is yourself yes there's some hooning motorbikes on reefton section beyond that its the amount of climbing, keeping your food and water intake up, and of course ensuring you have tubes, chainlink etc for breakdowns.

If you haven't done a double Mt Donna, I'd be doing that first, even a 2.5 (to cement creek) that's about 2500 metres climbing this ride has 3500-4000, so its pretty epic and that's the part that will catch you out, i.e. fatigue, once you're out there there's no shortcut back. also no phone reception in reefton section. the ideal would be to do the ride with a group so you have backup. If you feel confident enough and have done a 10 hour ride with 3000+ climbing do it man.!

this time of year is ok, you're coming off winter, in fact there's more risk in summer with bush fires and dehydration.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:28 pm

I have been wanting to do that ride for a while now. I've done it in reverse over a few days while camping at the end of September, and It pissed on me in Marysville whilst it was snowing up at Lake Mountain, the roads were perfectly alright though.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 pm

It's a great ride, Acheron Way will be cool provided there isn't a heap of rain before you leave.

Do it!

kb

Postby kb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Watch out for roos on the Acheron way, especially if descending (Donna to Narbethong). They think they own the place ;-)

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Roos on the AW? I've never seen them in many rides through there. The occasional wallaby maybe but foxes, lyrebirds aplenty. The AW doesn't go near Narbethong anyway it begins at the Marysville road and ends at Cement Creek (where it joins the Donna Buang rd) and is not steep in either direction.

Back to the OP, September is changeable weather and expect anything. Keep a weather eye and if descending from high up ie LM or DB take warm gloves and a gillet/wind jacket at least. You will certainly freeze on the descents. The AW can get muddy but mainly on the unsealed flatter section once past the saddle to Cement Creek. As another wrote, Saturdays/Sundays will bring the boy racers out and they do move fast.The Reefton Spur is a well known test track. You'll hear them and have brief moments to prepare as they buzz past you at breakneck speed. Every weekend you'll hear the ambulance sirens as some idiot has exceeded their abilities trying to double or triple the sign posted corner speed. If there is a late snow dump expect heavy tourist traffic too.

23s? Ride 25s at least as the surface of the gravel section can be very muddy after rain. I ride 28s for extra grip and they give nothing away to cornering or speed. Enjoy it, it's a great ride.

benizmo

Postby benizmo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Agree with the previous, just watch the weather and take enough warm gear. I prefer the archeron loop first with a bakery stop in Marysville. Burger stop at top of lake mountain, then arvo down reefton. After lunch I've seen less motos as they tend to ride earlier from my experience. Just watch the daylight too as it gets dark quick when you're behind Donna, and GTs cold very quick as well. Also watch for fast 4WD locals on Archeron which can catch you out after 20mins of no traffic!
Once you've done that loop then add the aqueduct trail and back of Donna(dirt) as a pre loop!

kb

Postby kb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:26 pm

Not a local but I thought it was Narbethong where Marysville rd joins Acheron? Last time I was there, I was cramming for 3 peaks so Donna x 1.5, KL, Donna going clockwise. First Donna was 1:17, last was 1:50. Cooked!

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:49 pm

kb wrote:Not a local but I thought it was Narbethong where Marysville rd joins Acheron? Last time I was there, I was cramming for 3 peaks so Donna x 1.5, KL, Donna going clockwise. First Donna was 1:17, last was 1:50. Cooked!
You won't actually go through Narbethong, but its the closest "town". Not much to look at though.

A good reason for doing Acheron way last is if you're too stuffed you can give the Donna summit a miss, or just do part of it and just coast down.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Check the weather forecast. It'll be cold up the top of Donna and Lake Mountain and even at the height of summer the descent of both of those can be pretty cold, so it'll be even more so at this time of year. Acheron way is best avoided if there's been a lot of rain in the 24-48 hours before you plan to ride.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! hmmm food for thought - In particular the no phone reception issue I was not aware of!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:54 am

We often do a tour of these roads in about November, when it is all great. We ride the 110km loop, skipping Lake Mountain and Donna Buang climbs. I also usually do a Donna Buang snow ride in winter.

The roads will be fine in September, however the descents will be very cold - you must be sure to take a lot of extra layers and full rain gear to block the wind. Never, ever seen kangaroos on the Acheron Way - maybe forest wallabies about in there but it is not kangaroo habitat; they are grassland animals. Yes, the Acheron Way meets the Marysville Rd in the locality of Narbethong.

Don't know why you would expect good phone reception in the mountains, and will the lack of it really hamper your ride?? I dunno, youfatoday, can't cope with life !! :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ab012

Postby ab012 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks for the additional advice - re phone - it is more a backup safety feature :oops:

kb

Postby kb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:22 pm

il padrone wrote:Never, ever seen kangaroos on the Acheron Way - maybe forest wallabies about in there but it is not kangaroo habitat; they are grassland animals.
Ok, I'll learn the difference. They were big buggers though and lots of them. Also easily doing 40kph alongside and sometimes across us.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Swamp Wallaby

Maybe they were eastern greys you saw, but it does surprise me as the area is all pretty thick bush and forest.
Mandatory helmet law?

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:05 pm

one big difference between the wallabies vs kangaroos when riding is if you see a roo there'll be more coming so back right off ... where wallabies are more solo.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:49 pm

benizmo wrote:Agree with the previous, just watch the weather and take enough warm gear. I prefer the archeron loop first with a bakery stop in Marysville. Burger stop at top of lake mountain, then arvo down reefton. After lunch I've seen less motos as they tend to ride earlier from my experience. Just watch the daylight too as it gets dark quick when you're behind Donna, and GTs cold very quick as well. Also watch for fast 4WD locals on Archeron which can catch you out after 20mins of no traffic!

hmmm this sounds like a pretty neat idea actually - what is Acheron's Way like as a descent? Sounds like going up on the dirt is fine not 100% sure on the descent.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:13 pm

The Acheron Way is a delightful ride - about 20kms of gentle valley riding. However doing the Acheron Way first means you will face that very steep climb out of Marysville after lunch - a good 12-15% on the first section to the lookouts, and a solid haul to Tommys Bend and then over Arnold Gap.

I prefer this ride done anti-clockwise to enjoy the climb up the Acheron Valley.
Mandatory helmet law?

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:40 am

here you go, group ride perfect.
here

kb

Postby kb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:49 am

mtb1011 wrote:here you go, group ride perfect.
here
That's not September :-)

ab012

Postby ab012 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:58 am

Hi everyone

Thank you again for all the suggestions. Ended up doing this on saturday, with a slight change by doing Donna first (I started late, and wanted get the full climb in), then the loop (did not go up Donna again at the end though as I was running out of time (and gas :D ) )

I had actually started late and so was stuck with indecision a little bit after descending back to Warburton (to change back to summer jersey :oops: ) as I was starting to get concerned about what traffic would be like at Reefton. In the end I shouldnt have worried - on the Reefton Spur I was passed by 2 cars, 2 touring motobikes, and 1 racer motobike 8) - all with plenty of warning and space. This might have been because I was rather late as there were more traffic going the otherway. In fact, the only annoying instances were getting swooped by magpies near Warburton :evil:

The Reefton climb up to Lake mountain climb was my favourite of the ride - low traffic, very scenic, nice gradient for the length. The descent to Marysville was a ripper as well.

Acheron's way was a bit wet when i got there so it was an interesting experience climbing in the mix of gravel and mud. I can see how this would be no problems when it was dry though.

All in all - superb day out - highly recommended and thanks again for the info! I need to come back again soon...