Afternoon traffic - dandening a, kinglake

ab012

Afternoon traffic - dandening a, kinglake

Postby ab012 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 am

Hi everyone

Thanks for the previous advice re reefton - Acheron loop - I think I will give it a go :D

Now also looking at some other shorter rides (and with limited time) on other days - so wondering what the traffic on these are like outside weekend mornings? Should I stay away? Eg weekend afternoons .

Thanks in advance!

djw47

Re: Afternoon traffic - dandening a, kinglake

Postby djw47 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:26 pm

I assume you mean The Dandenongs - as opposed to Dandenong or even Dandening! Trust me, you'll have an entirely different experience riding through The Dandenongs (beautiful mountain/national park on the fringes of Melbourne) and riding through Dandenong (shitehole suburb in SE Melbourne). Where are you based and how do you intend to get around (apart from bike)? There are heaps of rides in the Dandenongs and surrounds and can cater for all abilities from easy to brutal. At the very least aim to ride from The Basin to Skyhigh at the top of the mountain - that'll take you up the 1 in 20 which is probably the most popular climb in the area in terms of people riding it at the weekend - it's not a difficult climb but will give you a sample of the area. The traffic in the area is relatively quiet pretty much all the time and because the roads are windy, you don't tend to get too many people hooning past you.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Actually if you want to be accurate it is the Dandenong Ranges djw47... :wink:

You will get more tourist traffic in the afternoons compared to early mornings, but I've never found it an issue.

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:51 am

if you're solo and not a hardened warrior that knows the roads, just drive to basin - park there do 1/20, wall, maybe try a crucifix when you develop your climbing to that level.

The Crucifix

having the car at basin is a good back up plan.

for KL drive to St Andrews, then you can do low traffic repeats of Kinglake or go to top and do back climb as well - no traffic there.

with limited time available its best spent climbing.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:10 am

I'm the opposite. With limited time, best not spend any in the car :-)

ab012

Postby ab012 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes I did mean Mount Dandenong - I thought I had fixed the typo but obviously I hadnt... :oops:

In the end I did not manage to fit this in this time due to a few delays (got two other craking rides in the weekend though.. I think I may get addicted to Melbourne area riding). So hopefully can come down again soon to try these out!