My 2nd trip to Australia - Need tips cycling in Victoria

stormina

My 2nd trip to Australia - Need tips cycling in Victoria

Postby stormina » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:15 am

Hello everybody,

Me and my bike visited Australia about one year ago and we both loved it to bits! I stayed about 3 months and focused mainly on Queensland. Now I am planning my next trip, which is hopefully going to start in one year. I should have about 8 weeks time and would now like to see more of the south of Australia. Therefore, I would like to book a flight to Melbourne and do a round trip of about 7 weeks (1 week I would like to stay in Melbourne). I did a lot of research online (mainly on German sites because my mother tongue is German) and decided that Victoria will be my next destination. Here http://www.in-australien.com/victoria_1041860 are loads of pictures of the state which give the impression that the whole atmosphere of the state is a little bit more european than Queensland which I find quite interesting.

Anyway, I am now planning my trip and also my route and would like to ask you guys if you have recommendations for my tour. As I already mentioned, I am going to start in Melbourne and would like to do a round trip from there. I would like to cycle first along the Great Ocean Road to Warnambool, than inland towards Ballarat, than through the Yarra Valley and than back to the ocean to the Gippsland Lakes Coastal Park and back to Melbourne. This is just a rough idea and I would be extremely thankful if you could give me a few ideas and tips for my trip.

Thank you guys very much in advance!
I am looking forward to your replys
Cheers

Fraggle

Re: My 2nd trip to Australia - Need tips cycling in Victoria

Postby Fraggle » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:46 pm

G'day,

Your itinerary sound very complete.
However you might want to factor in that there is a ferry that crosses "The Heads". This will let you transit from the Great Ocean Road to the Mornington Peninsula without travelling to Melbourne.
Another possible summer only route would be to cross the Alps from either Gippsland to Wangaratta area or vice-a-versa. The roads are very quiet and the country towns offer plenty of beer :wink: Also there are rail services either side of the Alps but the southern (Gippsland) side terminates at Bairnsdale. The rail line used to go to Orbost but now is a rail trail. Alas I do not know the condition of it.

If I may also suggest that inland of Warrnambool is very flat and doesn't make for interesting riding. It is not to say don't do it but if you are pressed for time you could save some time there.

Ok some places that come to mind that you should ride to.
- Great Ocean Road. Stay at many of the campsites/Caravan parks along the way. My personal favourite is Wye River.
- The town of Bright. It has a great brewery & is very cycle friendly
- Wilson's Prom
- Yarra Valley area is great for cycling day trip from Melb
- Metung. Enjoy a nice lunch out on the Hotel's beer garden looking across the Gippsland Lakes

I hope that assists you in your planning. I will admit that I am a little envious of your trip.

Safe Cycling

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:52 pm

sounds like a dream trip - I highly recommend it! you should know, though, that Australian car drivers are not always as friendly towards cyclists as most of those in western Europe. don't let this put you off at all - it is quite safe to cycle here, but you should do some research on safe routes to take.

I would recommend the following:
- where possible, stay off major roads and highways - take less-travelled roads that have lower traffic levels. the best roads are those that do not form a direct link between (major) towns - which are typically used by locals as favoured, high speed routes.
- despite that suggestion - be careful of Australian roads that have no shoulder (space for you to ride out of the path of drivers) - favour roads with a shoulder, or which are wide enough to accommodate you and a car on the same side.
- use Google maps (satellite) view to assess roads.
- consider using off-road cycle paths and trails - there are some excellent rail trails (former railway lines) that can take you across much of Victoria.
- note that following these suggestions will take longer to ride than taking more direct, major roads.

all the best.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:57 pm

use Google maps and try to stay off the A roads, use C and B roads where ever possible.

Mary and I have just ridden our tandem from Arrarat to Warrnambool using mainly C roads and the traffic was light.

With the exception of one driver who overtook us in the face of on-coming traffic and cut sharply in front of us all traffic, trucks and cars gave us plenty of space when overtaking.

I find a rear view mirror very useful but if you use one you will have to relocate it the the right hand side of yourbike or helmet.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:34 am

My tip is to relocate about 4000km to the west. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:47 pm

I agree with Jules 100%. Wherever possible use any paths be them gravel or concrete path and use only or as many roads with shoulders that is possible. I have a largish loop I travel a bit, of 76 klms and its near all paths and very little shoulder.
Anyway have fun k.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:32 pm

If you are planning to tour Victoria, see the sights, and enjoy the experience...... shared paths and rail-trails, while nice enough, do seriously limit your experience.

What so many people do not realise is that Victoria has a tremendous network of quiet, scenic, and truly delightful minor roads. Don't miss them.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Assuming it will be in the warmer season but remember it can get incredibly hot in Jan/Feb.

How about something like GOR to Warnambool then depending on your time ride to Wangaratta or train back to Melbourne and cycle north towards Wangaratta then across to Bright and Harrietville then over Mt Hotham, down to Omeo, south to Bruthen and Bairnsdale.

From Bairnsdale aim for the Strzlecki ranges and then down to Wilsons Promontory and finally west to Philip Island to catch ferry over to Stony Point and ride back to Melbourne or train. A lot of tourists seem to hug the coast which can be both good and bad. What looks like a nice coast road may actually be just a tree lined stretch with no sea views. Others might know better but i don't think you would miss much if you didn't see much of the coast east of Wilsons Prom. It's not bad, it's just the inland ranges and forest are nicer.

Alternatively from the Prom you could head north up towards Warragul , Noojee and Warburton and beyond which brings you pretty much into the Yarra Valley.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:16 pm

A quick google map of routes.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Geel ... 827659!3e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Lily ... 245772!3e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Brut ... 318249!3e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Tida ... 753601!3e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Tida ... 814107!3e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:34 pm

I reckon fraggles recommendation of combining some rail travel is an excellent suggestion. May i suggest get the rail north from somewhere on your trip to albury then heading north of the river across to baruga then nip across to cobram and head down to benalla, go across the midland through bonniedoon and come into the Yarra valley via the melba or maroondah. From there you could nip across the divide via launching placr,poweltown,noojee.

Davidkmendel

Postby Davidkmendel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:44 pm

il padrone wrote:If you are planning to tour Victoria, see the sights, and enjoy the experience...... shared paths and rail-trails, while nice enough, do seriously limit your experience.

What so many people do not realise is that Victoria has a tremendous network of quiet, scenic, and truly delightful minor roads. Don't miss them.

Where was this shot taken. Out of interest?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:05 am

Out in South Gippsland near Mirboo, on a road climbing up to the Grand Ridge Road.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Very typical vista of the strezeleckis.

stormina

Postby stormina » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:09 am

Hello everybody and thanks so much to all of you for your help!!!

I am quite impressed that I recieved such a massive feedback - that's great. And I will definitely consider every single suggestion to make my trip as perfect as possible :)

Have a good time in Australia and maybe see you on the way ;)
Many greetings from Euope
Cheers

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:28 am

Hey! You don't get off that easily! :D We want to know what you end up planning and then have the occasional photo and report posted here!

Enjoy!