Tree down on Mullum/Koonung trail

Az0r_au

Tree down on Mullum/Koonung trail

Postby Az0r_au » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Citybound just after Craig rd as of 8pm Sunday July 29th

Alternate route via Craig rd then Huggins rd to avoid having to dismount and climb over.

Please excuse the crappy Mspaint

Cyclophiliac

Re: Tree down on Mullum/Koonung trail

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:43 am

It was there on Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, while riding in the other direction (Melbourne-bound) in the pre-dawn darkness this "morning", I forgot about it, and then had to brake suddenly to avoid it. This of course, didn't work too well on the wooden boards, so down I went. I hope VicParks (or whoever decides to take responsibility for it eventually) removes it soon.

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm

That really sucks man hope you're OK. I've let the council know about the tree and the poor condition of the wood on those bridges. I went down about 2 weeks ago coming the opposite way you did and there wasn't even the tree then and I was riding my 29er with fresh X-king tyres on a perfectly dry morning. Unfortunately the council is a bit slow about fixing these things :(

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Az0r_au wrote:That really sucks man hope you're OK. I've let the council know about the tree and the poor condition of the wood on those bridges. I went down about 2 weeks ago coming the opposite way you did and there wasn't even the tree then and I was riding my 29er with fresh X-king tyres on a perfectly dry morning. Unfortunately the council is a bit slow about fixing these things :(
I'm fine, thanks for asking. :) Wooden boards are much better to fall on than bare concrete or bitumen, so it wasn't a bad impact. Thanks for notifying the council.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:22 pm

It will be either City of Manningham or Parks Victoria.Report sent to City of Mannngham via SnapSendSolve.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Timber boardwalks should be OUTLAWED for any use as a bicycle facility. There are so many perfectly suitable recycled composite materials and even suitable metal decks with textured surfaces that will do the job FAR better.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Obstacle?
That's not an obstacle.

This is an obstacle. :wink:

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:I'm fine, thanks for asking. :) Wooden boards are much better to fall on than bare concrete or bitumen, so it wasn't a bad impact. Thanks for notifying the council.

Was still nasty enough to give both my knees a nice case of gravel (wood?) rash and shred up my shoes and gloves a bit. I've given up carrying any sort of speed thru that section because of how treacherous it is now.

Scintilla wrote:Timber boardwalks should be OUTLAWED for any use as a bicycle facility. There are so many perfectly suitable recycled composite materials and even suitable metal decks with textured surfaces that will do the job FAR better.
Agreed, these are in absolutely shocking condition too. They originally had some kind of abrassive sandpaper like surface over the wood for extra traction, but it's long since worn thru and the wood has become very polished. Ironically just a few 100ms towards Ringwood they have another wood bridge but this one has metal wiring laid over it and it's perfectly fine even in the wet.
Tim wrote:Obstacle?
That's not an obstacle.

This is an obstacle. :wink:
Where's that pic from Tim? Looks like a place I'd like to visit

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Az0r_au wrote:Where's that pic from Tim? Looks like a place I'd like to visit
About 300km's east of your dropped tree. :)
The Gippsland Lakes Discovery Trail. Silly name coz you don't see any lakes at all, it heads inland from a start point somewhere near Lakes Entrance. We call it the Mississippi Track as it basically follows the course of the Mississippi Creek.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:54 pm

The Mullum Trail blockage was cleared yesterday afternoon (so thanks, Az0r_au). On both sides, there is now a fluorescent orange plastic mesh covering the break in the fence, which will presumably be fixed sometime in the next decade or so...

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:24 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:.

which will presumably be fixed sometime in the next decade or so...
I presume you are referring to the local council.
Condemnation of local government is not warranted, unexpected damage such as this adds to the work load and tests budget constraints. A whole lot of reasons might delay the repair.
I am sure it will be fixed as soon as can be arranged.
PS I don’t work for this council.

Cheers
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 pm

cycles gitane wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:.

which will presumably be fixed sometime in the next decade or so...
I am sure it will be fixed as soon as can be arranged.
I'm not so sure. I've seen similar fence damage on other Melbourne shared paths which have had "temporary" tape over them for years, so my skepticism is based on what I've seen over the years. Anyway, no further comment from me on this topic, since it's off topic for this thread.