A week's notice for a 9 month path closure

lobstermash

A week's notice for a 9 month path closure

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 am

I was more than a little surprised to see this on my way to work this morning:

No indication of what the alternate route (if there is one) will be, no information on the path closure online... Is this even legal? To my eyes, it doesn't pass the 'reasonable' test to give a week's notice for a 9 month path closure.

Tim Mifsud

Re: A week's notice for a 9 month path closure

Postby Tim Mifsud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:45 am

Where is it?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am

Adjacent to ANU on the north side Burley Griffen path.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:49 am

Needs more info. At least a website to let you know where to look.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Is that the crossing on Liversidge St? Means we'll have to go the long way around the national Museum.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:41 pm

are you on farcebook? if you post the same question on The Lycra Diaries pages you'll probably get an official answer. It's run by PP and they seem to know what is cooking in terms of roadworks and detours etc.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 pm

The path is directly over the ANU's Noel Butlin Business and Labour Records Archive. Perhaps contacting the ANU's Building and Grounds Division might resolve a few wonders.

... or maybe there is a leek in the repository's roof.

I hope this helps.

Waren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 pm

... sorry dual post.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 am

I got a call from TAMS yesterday, who told me that a week's notice is the minimum for a longer-term closure, and that they were only informed about the works last Friday. There's a carpark directly under that section which they'll be doing some works on, including installing a lift for wheelchair access. They'll be excavating over 10m deep. I suggested that it might be a good idea for the alternate pathway to be included in the notice, which they agreed might be useful but were non-committal about whether it would happen.

I haven't heard back from Pedal Power. There's no requirement for consultation with them, so it's unlikely that they'd know about it before the public does. Pedal Power were also completely useless re the Athllon Drive shared path closure, which was closed many months beyond schedule and had an appalling alternate pathway. The company doing the works at ANU is a subsidiary of the one who did the Athllon apartments...

I'm still a little taken aback that the legislation only requires a week's notice... I'm fairly certain that wouldn't stand up in court if anyone challenged it, as it doesn't appear to adequately give natural justice to affected path users.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Why can't you just go via the museum as Grgic suggested? Or ride back up Liversidge St and get back on the connecting path. Or come up on the path past the VCs place and the Noel Butlin Business and Labour Records Archive and come out onto Mills Rd/Balmain Cres and ride through ANU.