Bikes on the Australind train to Bunbury

Aushiker

Bikes on the Australind train to Bunbury

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

According to the Transwa websitebikes are allowed on the Australind train but there is really not much information. Has anyone had experience taking a bike on this service? I am considering taking my mountain bike and the Extrawheel trailer.

Thanks
Andrew

HappyHumber

Re: Bikes on the Australind train to Bunbury

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Only anecdotally, Andrew. But it's something I'm thinking of doing when visiting my Mum in Bunbury sometime soon.

I have heard people have been OK - but asked ahead when booking their ticket. Have also heard of some gripes from the attending staff on the train. Might be a case of luck of the draw.

I would also ask if there's offpeak times of the week - less likely like to be a heap of Mums with prams or oldies with wheelchairs and walkers being carried as well. I'd imagine they'd be the favoured travellers in which case.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:28 am

HappyHumber wrote:I would also ask if there's offpeak times of the week - less likely like to be a heap of Mums with prams or oldies with wheelchairs and walkers being carried as well. I'd imagine they'd be the favoured travellers in which case.
Good idea. I have emailed them to confirm it is okay and if they reply I will ask if they can suggest a good day to travel. I have the flexibility to do that I think.

Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:32 am

You can't book a ticket online if taking a bike, you need to instead rock up to the ticket office. They prefer bookings but we've rocked up in Bunbury after ride issues, got a seat for the train leaving that hour. They limit the number of bikes on the train and the size (as in length, so my Bacchetta SWB recumbent was a no-go) but not weight or bags still attached, however if you give them a bike with a bit of weight still on it don't be surprised if it falls over or gets dropped and the rear light snapped off. You can get on or off only at the terminating points in Perth or Bunbury, no chance at some country stop like Waroona or Wokalup, if taking a bike. Most often, depending on the bike that I needed to take south, I've had to give the Australind a miss and take the suburban train line down to Mandurah, ride the 104km gap down the Old Coast Rd, best not done into a stiff sea breeze.

Of course if you have a folding bike and it is bagged so they can't see 'bike' then they can't charge for taking up a 'bike' space or restrict where you get on or off, as long as you don't exceed luggage weights. Transwa gives this as "one (1) piece of stowed luggage not exceeding 20 kilograms and one (1) piece of carry on luggage not exceeding 7 kilograms."

Having said all this the Australind is an easier to use service for cyclists than the Prospector and a fairly pleasant trip.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:49 pm

We did this back in May, and booked the bikes on over the phone. No problems, staff were helpful & accommodating. The only thing you might want to be aware of is that there is no purpose built storage or racking, rather the bikes just get stashed in the vestibule at the end of the carriage, so while this was fine for our old clunkers, possibly not the preferred option for a $15k unobtainium dream machine or whatever.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Transwa have responded thus:

The bike on the Australind is ok but the trailer will not be allowed.

I would suggest that you take a bus to Bunbury and the charge would be $10 per item i.e. $20

Problem solved ... :(

Andrew

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 am

Interesting outcome, because I have taken my mountain bike and BOB Trailer on the Australind (didn't note the trailer in the booking) (was warned at the station that if it doesn't fit then it can't come along). I took the BOB bag on the train with me and stored the trailer on end in a corner held there with my bike and my mates. still room for one more bike.

Taking your panniers off the freewheeler would make it negligable in size and volume resulting in it easily being able to be slotted in between bikes.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:04 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote: You can get on or off only at the terminating points in Perth or Bunbury, no chance at some country stop like Waroona or Wokalup
Got to love it.

Having said that some of the platforms are quite tight and not level with the train. But if octegenarians can get on and off safely so can a bike - after all it's not like the Australind runs to a tight connecting schedule!!!!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:05 pm

thread dig...

After pondering this for many years; the stars aligned for me do a trip to visit family in Bunbury with just the bike on the train over the weekend just gone. Did my research on the website and phoned up to book over the phone with a couple of questions.

At this time of posting It's $15 excess luggage for a bike - each way. As per the website, you must pre-book and the call centre lady they told me they have room for two booked bikes. I was curious about the allocated space in which they're stored. My Mum travels on the service semi-regularly and I've dropped her off and picked her up from it often enough and I was having trouble visualizing exactly where bikes went.

I departed Perth on the PM service Friday arvo; and arrived the requested 30mins prior to departure time. One of the stewards saw me with bike in between tending to the disembarking passengers and advised me where to wait. She described to me how they liked the bikes parked and let me do so. The return journey Monday morning a male steward took the bike from me and parked it.

Basically the bikes go in the space behind the trailing drivers cockpit; as the train changes direction so the driver changes ends. The space has doors on both sides of the carriage; and into the main passenger space and drivers cabin. Whilst there'd be physical space for maybe 4 or 5 bikes at an awkward pinch; two can really only go in safely against the offside carriage door. I imagine this is so as to not block the emergency exit from the passenger space.

if I do it again; I'd rig up a temporary handbrake by way of a tough 'laccy; piece of inner tube or old toe strap to go around the brake levers to prevent the bike moving. It's something I like to have handy even when I travel on the urban trains so I'm less worried about steadying or holding the bike constantly

Anyway the Australind arrangement does seem a bit of an afterthought; but it does the job. There was a second bike for my return journey for another passenger; so as ever if you're considering doing the trip with a bike; book ASAP ahead of time to reserve your token bit of alloted space!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Recently the Minister released a press release indicating one of the stops on this route was being upgraded. I did ask if this would mean bikes could embark/disembark at the upgraded station but have been ignored. I guess either comprehension skills are not high in her skill set and/or the answer is no.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Aushiker wrote: I guess either comprehension skills are not high in her skill set and/or the answer is no.
Or it is "IDGAF"?

Yarloop is currently being upgraded.

All stations are going to be upgraded to allow wheelchair access but that doesn't mean the platforms will be full length which might restrict their ability to load bikes.

I presume the train still stops in East Bunbury and not in Bunbury?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm

The Australind trains themselves are due for replacement in the next few years so it wouldn't be a bad idea to give PTA some feedback regarding the desire for better bicycle access and facilities on the new "Linda's".

On a similar topic, there is a forthcoming project to purchase new "C-series" railcars, likely to be permanently coupled 6-car sets. They haven't been designed yet so now would be the time to put some pressure on PTA to include 1 or more bicycle friendly carriages as part of the fit-out.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

I took my bike down on the train a couple of years ago, which is probably not topical given that Andrews thread is some years old now.

I suspect you might be able to bring an extra wheel into the passenger carriage as luggage.
I say this as there was no supervision of my putting my bike into the last carriage nor did anyone appear to be doing much of anything regarding passenger placement although this may be different now.

I think it might be interesting for others to know that TransWA policy is bikes can only exit at Bunbury (or Perth) according to the phone call I made recently, whilst looking for alternative station options to access the Munda Biddi.
I think the concern was the time involved and holding up the timetabling.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 pm

Can anyone comment is the storage space in the same place on the Avonlink/Merrindinlink services?

redned

Postby redned » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:44 pm

rifraf wrote: I think it might be interesting for others to know that TransWA policy is bikes can only exit at Bunbury (or Perth) according to the phone call I made recently, whilst looking for alternative station options to access the Munda Biddi.
I think the concern was the time involved and holding up the timetabling.
Interesting that what works fine in other parts of the world is a hurdle for TransWA.
I recently returned from Brittany where regional trains (TERs) have bike hanging areas. They stop at intermediate stations for less than a minute (I timed one at 40 secs) which surprisingly is plenty of time to get quite a few bikes on and off.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 am

redned wrote: Interesting that what works fine in other parts of the world is a hurdle for TransWA.
I recently returned from Brittany where regional trains (TERs) have bike hanging areas. They stop at intermediate stations for less than a minute (I timed one at 40 secs) which surprisingly is plenty of time to get quite a few bikes on and off.
Very hard to understand given that the TransWA train only allows a maximin of two bike per trip. :?

How long could it take to remove a max of two bikes :?:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:09 am

rifraf wrote:How long could it take to remove a max of two bikes :?:
The issue is storage space: the Australind is best described as a "heritage" train. It was designed in the '70s and is designed for people who would get taxis at either end (back then the train actually went to Bunbury). Or have their car waiting at the station. Quaint, I know.

So there's actually very little space on the train, perhaps in an attempt to make it more "space age" and perhaps "aeroplane like" (a retrograde step if ever there was one)
Image(Wikipedia)
Compare the current "snack bar" arrangements with the old buffet car.
Now that's a proper buffet car.

There's really no option for adding a goods wagon for luggage, either. Nor porters to load/unload the goods wagon. And with the furious pace of the timetable, no time to allow passengers to get their own gear on or off.

Having said all that, if you can "rinko" your bike, just call it luggage.

redned

Postby redned » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:18 pm

rifraf wrote:
redned wrote: Interesting that what works fine in other parts of the world is a hurdle for TransWA.
Very hard to understand given that the TransWA train only allows a maximin of two bike per trip. :?

How long could it take to remove a max of two bikes :?:
My wife and I caught a train from Tullamore to Limerick in Ireland, changing at Portarlington.
It was a Sunday and there were no rail people to find out which end of the train had the bike hangers. The train pulled in. People on and off. I said to my wife jump on and we'll sort it out. We had to take our bikes on through separate doors.
So far so good.
Then the door opened at the end of my carriage and its a tea trolley! We are both blocking the passage ways by the doors! I looked at my wife with my best "what am I to do now?" look.
Tea trolley gets closer. Tea lady looking not very impressed.
Train pulls into Portarlington and we bailed out just before we disrupt the tea trolley.
All's well that ends well!