How to report close pass and unregistered vehicles in WA

ausrider

How to report close pass and unregistered vehicles in WA

Postby ausrider » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:24 pm

I did a quick search here as well as WAPOL website but couldn't find any info. The closest online form they have is Hoon reporting form.

A vehicle performed an illegal close pass this morning on our training ride and upon checking the video with the rego clearly seen, we ran the Vehicle rego check and not surprisingly the vehicle is unregistered.

https://online.transport.wa.gov.au/webE ... ration/?16'

How do we go about reporting the unregistered vehicle as well as illegal close passing in WA in an efficient way?

Appreciate your input and if I did miss an existing thread, please delete this.

Thanks.

Ausrider

twowheels

Re: How to report close pass and unregistered vehicles in WA

Postby twowheels » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 am

How much info does a vehicle rego check give? Do you mean a public available search?

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:30 am

I use the hoon report form.
Over the years I have learnt not to report in person as statements just vanish & you have no records.
Always do it online, & you will get a reference number via email straight away.
'A day or two later you should receive another reference number. That's what you need to refer to in any correspondence.

You can also use this site to help identify the vehicle, if you are not sure of the model but have the full reg number https://www.revs.com.au/

Make sure you tick the box that says "court witness" otherwise they will do nothing with it.

Do you have a youtube account?
I upload video unlisted & add it to the link in the hoon form. That way I can see if they have viewed it, before calling the driver to "deal with the matter".

Are there any road markings or points of reference on the road that the vehicle may have passed over?
You can use this to demonstrate the relative distance to you. You may need to go back & use a tape measure.

Once you have submitted the online form, it will be sent to the local station for investigation.
You should get a call in 2-3 weeks.

They may ask if you can identify the driver, & if you say no, give you some BS about not being able to do anything.
This is not true. Quote section 34 of the road traffic act;
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... 3/s34.html

Over all the police will use as much subterfuge to avoid applying this law.
In the first 6 months only 4 infringements have been issued in WA.

I'm more than happy to assist you.
Good luck, but expect to be met with resistance to act by police.
They may even blame you for the drivers actions & give excuses for the driver.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 am

In Vic if the number plate looks fuzzy at all the police reject the complaint. At least they did with me.

I resubmitted the thing with the plate typed up and a copy of the Vic rego check off the registration site.
Then of course they said it looked ok to them, too hard to prove, driver did nothing against the law etc. And oh yes, I should stay left more on a dual road. And if I feel unsafe enough to submit these videoe's to consider using my car..... :)

I am so appreciative of the police dept help. :)

I have put in clear rego's that were fake and the police say they can do nothing.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 am

Still wort reporting, even if you believe it's unregistered.

If the police act, at least they will flag it in their system should they ever come across the plates on a car.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 am

Yep I do it as it might be a future or present petrol drive of vehicle. But i have little faith in the cops even bothering to correlate these events. I reckon it is and endless task .
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

JonXS

Postby JonXS » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks Cycleops70. Can you explain further the significance of uploading video to YouTube. How can you tell that it is the police who view it?
BTW - I have tried uploading to Dropbox and sending them a link. But apparently that doesn’t work as that site is among those which WAPOL’s IT people block. They can’t receive 1.4GB videos by email and prefer you post them a USB stick (which you won’t get back). I can’t understand the logic - why block an FTP site widely-used by business, but allow unknown USB flash drives to be connected?
Can you confirm YouTube works and how you can track their viewing.
Thanks.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:50 pm

JonXS wrote:Thanks Cycleops70. Can you explain further the significance of uploading video to YouTube. How can you tell that it is the police who view it?
BTW - I have tried uploading to Dropbox and sending them a link. But apparently that doesn’t work as that site is among those which WAPOL’s IT people block. They can’t receive 1.4GB videos by email and prefer you post them a USB stick (which you won’t get back). I can’t understand the logic - why block an FTP site widely-used by business, but allow unknown USB flash drives to be connected?
Can you confirm YouTube works and how you can track their viewing.
Thanks.
Sorry for not replying sooner, I've just seen this.
You need to go to Youtube studio. Then in you 'options' & select 'video' and it will give details like view count.

Some stations have trouble viewing youtube.
I've actually stopped giving them a link in the report, due to some officers just closing reports without doing anything or contacting me.
If I don't give them the link in the initial report, then they have to contact me to ask for the video.
I then have the contact email of the officer if I need to follow up later.

I sometimes drop a DVD in at a station & they send it in their internal mail to the officer.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:03 pm

With my close pass report, I submitted it online, then waited for the reference number to be sent out in the email and bought a $4 USB key at Kmart on which I put all the statements and videos.
I then took the USB key to the Police Station and asked for it to be held - there is a form for surrendered evidence which you get to keep to ensure receipt - the reference number is essential for the form - I'm not expecting the key back but happy to spend $4 to achieve the result.
I then phoned up the police station a week or so later - they let me know that it was under review by another station, so my call got transferred there, and at that point I was able to advise them where I had surrendered the USB key. They then knew I was serious at following up, and their internal processes could handle it from there.
End result - driver educated - knowledge-wise, financially and with demerits.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Gunnadothat wrote:, financially and with demerits.
Are you saying they were issued with an infringement $400 4 points for passing within the minimum distance?
If so, what station was it?
What evidence did you give? For example, did you provide lane width, or were there road markings that demonstrated relative location of you & the vehicle Ect.

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 pm

I actually think I've chatted with you on other forums based on the east coast already :)
Not sure if you've received help from Anne, and I didn't need it, but she is a powerhouse, isn't she?

Yup, 4/$400 was the result, and in WA.
I'm not even sure whether they took the distance measurements into consideration it was that close, but I did full distance measurements and the full statement progressed through the sequence of events with a fairly high amount of detail with respect to timings and distances.

At the end of the day, its something I would have rather not done , but the choice by the other guy to pass wasn't mine :evil:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Gunnadothat wrote:Yup, 4/$400 was the result, and in WA.
All I can say is "well done"
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:14 pm

Gunnadothat wrote:I actually think I've chatted with you on other forums based on the east coast already :)
Not sure if you've received help from Anne, and I didn't need it, but she is a powerhouse, isn't she?

Yup, 4/$400 was the result, and in WA.
Wow! Which station did this go to?
Yes Anne has been in touch. WA is not really her problem. I'm sure she has plenty to do already.
It's interesting that you've had this success. I think it must depend a lot on where it goes to. Even when I've been hit, the police refuse to take action.