Ricardo Appreciation Society

lolmanic

Re: Ricardo Appreciation Society

Postby lolmanic » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:08 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
lolmanic wrote:Hi all,

Spent some time reading this thread as I've just started on my journey to try out cycling and in the process inherited my gf's dad's old bike, which it turns out is a Ricardo Bushbike! Now being a complete noob, I've spent the better part of the last few days toiling away at cleaning up the surface rust off the handlebars and whatnot, and finally got to take it for a spin towards the local bike shop.

Seems like a fair bit of work but I'm happy to go with it and hoping to get some advice on things to do. The main problem at the moment is the right hand shifter is broken, seems to be a Shimano EM of some sort. Is this a big problem to replace? Is it worth replacing it with a newer system?

A few pics of the bike parts here: http://imgur.com/a/8acWZ and a serial of L7E0069 to add to the love in :D
What's broken about the shifter? It looks like a common friction shifter. Perhaps the default method will be sufficient.

1. Pull it apart
2. Give it a clean/lube
3. Put it back together
4. Test it

Cheers,

Cameron
It doesn't seem to turn anymore, shop guys said it's probably broken a mechanism in it, have ordered a set of these to hopefully replace it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q ... UTF8&psc=1

Seems to be a similar but updated friction shifter that works with the 3 and 5 speeds of the Bush Bike :)
Avanti Giro AR2 | Breezer Liberty 3R

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:40 pm

I'm not sure what they're on about. Friction shifter's don't have any 'mechanism' to break. At least the new ones aren't expensive, and look the part.

My money is on the problem being the cable that is too corroded to move, but you'd be replacing the cables and brake pads anyway.

Cheers,

Cameron

lolmanic

Postby lolmanic » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:21 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I'm not sure what they're on about. Friction shifter's don't have any 'mechanism' to break. At least the new ones aren't expensive, and look the part.

My money is on the problem being the cable that is too corroded to move, but you'd be replacing the cables and brake pads anyway.

Cheers,

Cameron
Yep, you were spot on, the replacement parts came in today, replaced them and went for a ride! That hill that was insurmountable now became a possible challenge, now to slowly clean her up :D

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:24 pm

After buying a $10 1988 Ricardo Bushbike several years ago it is finally ready to ride again, it's now my wife's "ride with the daughter" bike :)

Before

And now

Cheers
Steve

DTFWhiteLightning

Postby DTFWhiteLightning » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:59 pm

New project on an all original Ricardo White Lightning

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/DTFWh ... g/library/

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

G'day all,

Just found this today at the local second hand shop - an early '80s (1983 according to the FD) Ricardo Bushbike -
Looks to be all original (an un-educated guess...), & in quite good condition. Of the very few pics I could find, none had these moose(?) bars - original? Also Tange "Loose Proof Mechanism" headset, Weinmann "Semi Automatic" QR brakes, Ukai 26x2.125 chrome rims, Sugino cranks, Shimano RD, FD, gear levers & pedals, "UmeZawa Workslo l.t.d." bell (Yes, that's what it says as far as I can tell...) where the whole thing spins inside the central band (still works), BB Serial no. L4AU295, dynamo powered lights with lenses intact, & it weighs 20kg. It's also got some cool reflective covers still on the brake levers (faded on top). I'm really looking forward to this re-build, not too sure if there would be many of these still around. For $30, I couldn't resist!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 pm

By golly...that's really good.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Shrekman80

Postby Shrekman80 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:32 pm

I have a chance to buy what seems to be a Ricardo Twin Spinner is there any way to tell if its genuine and if its worth how much the guy is asking for it ? also what componentry did they come with out of the factory?

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:26 am

Came across this thread when reasearching my barn find. I had a sillilar road bike in the 80's a PURSUIT from Super Elliott's it also had Shimano 105 components and Bio-Pace cranks.

Will require lots of TLC and Steelo......
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:38 am

More shots...

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Ricardo Exceed
After complete strip down clean and re-build.....

I'm very happy with it, just needs some fine tuning.
BIKE JUNKIE.......

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Mon May 01, 2017 6:34 am

Laurie wrote:Came across this thread when reasearching my barn find. It's a Ricardo Exceed, I had a similar road bike in the 80's a PERSUIT from Super Elliott's it also had Shimano 105 components and Bio-Pace cranks.

Will require lots of TLC and Steelo......
BIKE JUNKIE.......

lolmanic

Postby lolmanic » Sun May 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Steve F wrote:After buying a $10 1988 Ricardo Bushbike several years ago it is finally ready to ride again, it's now my wife's "ride with the daughter" bike :)

Before

And now

Cheers
Steve
Great do, any chance of a parts list as I'm trying to do something similar and would love to know where to start looking!

busunge

Postby busunge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi all,

I think I have a Ricardo Roadmaster? Can someone please tell me what material the frame is? Is it okay?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjo ... ed-public/

Also does anyone know if the headset is ISO or J.I.S.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Weblink going back a few years. (2012). Smile, it's pretty.
http://www.cycleexif.com/ricardo-elite
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Thoglette wrote:Weblink going back a few years. (2012). Smile, it's pretty.
http://www.cycleexif.com/ricardo-elite
Tasty
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Jonda500

Postby Jonda500 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Wow, there's a Ricardo Appreciation thread! - well I feel I simply must add mine that I picked up from the local tip for $20.

I have straightened out the bent chrome forks by:
firstly "stretching" the bike between the shed and the fence post until the top portion of the forks exactly lined up with the steerer tube,
then lay the bike on its side, removed the front wheel and with my foot close to the frame on the blade that I did not want to bend, pulled up on the wheel drop out of the blade that needed to bend (the bottom one in this case). After a few gentle tugs I now have the rim centred between the fork legs and the distance between the drop outs exactly matching the mounting width of the hub/axle assembly.

It came with full length mudguards which I have taken off to clean and straighten - I will be putting them back on as soon as they're done.

All of the components are made in Japan except for the rear derailleur, which is a Skylark - not sure where these were made.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:44 pm

Shimano Skylark was also made in Japan, itself a copy of a 1960s Simplex. Skylark was an early 70s mainstay of entry-mid level bikes, but actually worked ok. Messed around with lots of these back in the day (god I feel old when I look at old components and have flashbacks to fiddling with them).

Nice bike btw, will scrub up well and make a cool short-hop commuter bike.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Harvs

Postby Harvs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Gday guys trying to find out some information on a bike my old man has found, It is Ricardo Deluxe. He's not real tech savvy hence no pics just yet, but he's told me its has a chrome fork which seems to be original, has a Ricardo sticker on the downtube and headstem. Deluxe on the top tube and a made in South Australia sticker on the seat tube. It has a 5x2 drive chain and the seat tube length is 59cm, BB to seat post clamp. The serial no.84439, any info would be great as we are looking to build up and old steel frame together. Thanks in advance

Arreis

Postby Arreis » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Picked up a Ricardo Elite sport for $10. It's my first Ricardo. Can anyone help identify the type of Tubing? The labels just say "Tange Hand crafted in Australia double butted" the top part of the label is damaged, so I'm not sure if there's more info. The headtube lugs seem a little more ornate than usual.

ImageIMG_1027 by arreis77, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1024 by arreis77, on Flickr

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Haven't posted for awhile. Had bad health for a long time and if you've read back in this thread I needed a downtube shifter solution. In the last week I only just got some 7 speed accushift shifters with a band. Indexing would never work with any other band no matter what. Also fitted a Shimano HG50 9 speed chain and would you believe a sunrace 13-25 freewheel improves shifting out of sight. Honestly I have Sprint accushift hitting gears like it's DI2 and utterly silent and smooth.
Took a ride to Mt Lofty today, I love this bike :D

Damn can't load photos straight from the phone, it's nearly 2020 isn't it :shock:
Back in a bit....

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:40 pm

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am

^ Geez that looks nice, great job.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Looks great

guidogad

Postby guidogad » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 am

Just cross read this whole thread and couldn't find what I was looking for (may have missed it though).
Is it known who manufactured the Ricardo frames?
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... guide.html
gives a lot of background but doesn't seem to cover Ricardo.
In summary,
a lot of Asian manufacturers have a similar serial number format like this Ricardo "L8A5231"
The first letter is often the manufacturer (here L), the second digit (here '8') is the last digit of the year (i.e. 1988), the next letter (here A) denominates a month or a fortnight (depending on the manufacturer), followed by a running number of four digits.
The question is who is the manufacturer using "L" to start the serial number?