Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

sli123

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby sli123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:01 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:My old GEFSCO died the other day after a crack formed a 1\3 of the way round the down tube, the lower headtube lug was filed to a point which caused a stress riser, so it was going to happen eventually.

As I needed a roadie frame I pulled the old Apollo V frame off the hook, I was going to rebuild it with the original Suntour Superbe parts, and threw my mixed bag of Campagnolo parts on it.

Its not to bad of a frame to ride. A little more twitchy than the GEFSCO. I don't think it climbs as well as the GEFSCO either, I am putting it down to the slightly heavier gauge tubing which doesn't flex as nicely. The Apollo V uses Tange Champion 2 whilst the GEFSCO is Tange Champion 1.

The Apollo weighs in at 10.1 kg as seen in the piccie, about 1/2 kg heavier than the slightly larger GEFSCO. Obviously the heavier gauge tubing adds up but so too does the chroming under the paint and the extra cable guides

Agree with your comments. From my experience it's not an easy bike to throw around or get speed up quickly. Not great for climbing either (especially with the Biopace chain rings that I have) but it' a different story on the flat stuff.

My V is still a quality ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/789123532

Stewyh

Postby Stewyh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Found this old girl at a local junk shop for cheaps. Turned out really nice, I probably should have taken a "before" shot as well. Love the blue/green colour (original paint).
I think it's a late '80s model but not 100% sure. Changed the headset to a sealed unit which rendered the original steerer too short, hence the new fork. Also couldn't get along with the drop bars so running some bullhorns at the moment. Still got the original fork & bars if I ever want it back to spec.
Such a smooth ride! The Shimano exage bits still work a treat. Rims are Alesa. DT shifters are a pain but you get used to 'em. Using it as a commuter at the moment but it's almost too nice for that. Gonna throw the drops back on and get a saddle that fits my arse a bit better and do some longer miles on it.

Got another old Apollo frame at the powder coaters as I type, will post some pics when resto is done.
Cheers.

Image13920466_10153867018925857_4471163310508455524_o by Stewart Hall, on Flickr

Image13909207_10153867018995857_6968029911365936812_o by Stewart Hall, on Flickr

mbikeboy

Postby mbikeboy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm

I was fortunate enough to come across a 26'er Apollo Himalaya frame with Suntour XCM forks for the free, and it will be a present for a family members upcoming birthday.

I've just started the process of fixing it up, and will be fitting it out with a few Shimano Deore items that I have laying around such as shifters, levers and calipers, and discs, front derraileur, etc. There's also a box somewhere in the garage with stuff like bars, saddles, a Deore crank and rear cassette, rear derraileur, etc...that's going to be quite a mission to find!! :D

The forks were pretty worse for wear, with the stanchions needing a damn good clean and removal of surface rust. The outer sleeve/fork-legs were really scratched and scuffed, but after a lot of sanding they have been painted and came up looking amazing!

The frame was poorly sprayed in black, and when sanding it down, I uncovered all of the stickers and graphics which was a great surprise! I've finished masking all of the original graphics and stickers, and have put the first few coats of paint on today, and wow it's looking great already!

I see that it has a Truativ crank (I know nothing about SRAM btw), The number underneath the frame are AP08262818 HRO638074. Could someone kindly give me a bit of info and/or pics regarding this model?

Micahel

Postby Micahel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am

I was given this bike as a project from my LBS, more to make room in his store area. All info I have found so far suggests that it is an Apollo. I am wondering if anyone cane give me anymore info on the bike.
Serial stamp (lower seat tube) 86 06 88479
Sugino cranks 52-42
Front derailleur unkown
Suntour 6 speed cassette (13,15, 17, 19, 21, 24)
Rear derailleur Shimano SIS RD TY22
Dia compe calipers
Nitro Olympiad bar and head set
kuwahara stamp front fork/head tube lockrings.
I know I should have taken pictures before I stripped the bike down for cleaning but I hope this info is enough for the threads collected knowledge base.

Fuzznewbold

Postby Fuzznewbold » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I acquired an Apollo recently, and can't identify the model. It's an 18 speed with triple Sugino mighty tour cranks. Tange Champion 5, dia compe brakes and levers, Suntour shifters and derailleurs. Sunshine hubs with Araya 27's. Anyone know the model? Serial under bb is MBF4450... I figure 1982... and can someone please explain how to upload pics?

wiggetty151

Postby wiggetty151 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi team, just picked up a 1980's 12 speed Apollo II from a trash heap in really good nick.
Have already stripped most parts and cleaned and lubed but as i am generally a noob to some things to do with bike maintenance i would like to know how to get off the rear freewheel. I think it uses one of the two pronged tools but not too sure. Anyone have any experience here?

uart

Postby uart » Thu May 04, 2017 8:22 pm

wiggetty151 wrote:I think it uses one of the two pronged tools but not too sure. Anyone have any experience here?
No. It's probably the screw on type freewheel, in which case those two indents you see are for disassembling the ratchet mechanism, not for freewheel removal.

- The freewheel is removed by using a freewheel removal tool (like this: http://www.lightinthebox.com/freewheel- ... vQodRwEJVA ) and turning it counter clockwise.

- The freewheel ratchet body is disassembled (if necessary) by removing the lock ring using a two prong type wrench (or hammer and punch) in the clockwise direction.

wiggetty151

Postby wiggetty151 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:59 am

Here is a photo of what i am talking about.
I have removed the hub already.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 am

That looks like the cogs have been jammed onto a splined freehub. Not a conventional approach.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi Folks I just had my neighbor drop me off a bike to restore as he knows I am a vintage nut, it blew me away is a
gold Apollo V with full Shimano 600 groupset and light weight race wheels. Sticker on down tube says is quadruple
butted chro mo. Had to weigh it and just under 10kg as is. Old bloke he got it off used to race it back in the day
and wanted it to go to a good home, hope i can do it justice. Could anyone tell me the year of manufacture if possible
and some back ground as it just looks and feels superb. Will be one for the Strada Bianchi I think.
Regards Gandalf
It's not wind, it's a training aid.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 am

Hi just an update after looking into it further and reading some previous posts. Mine is a Kuwahara Ishiwata frame
quadruple butted made in Japan and looking at group sets (Shimano 600) and color it has to be early 80s. Looked all
over for the serial number but not found (not under bottom bracket) will have a better look when i strip it down.
Gandalf
It's not wind, it's a training aid.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 am

Gandalf wrote:Hi just an update after looking into it further and reading some previous posts. Mine is a Kuwahara Ishiwata frame
quadruple butted made in Japan and looking at group sets (Shimano 600) and color it has to be early 80s. Looked all
over for the serial number but not found (not under bottom bracket) will have a better look when i strip it down.
Gandalf

Some piccies will help.

If its a Kuwahara, like mine at the top of the page, the stamp will be on the seat tube down near the bottom bracket. The year of manufacture will be the first 2 digits the month will be the next 2 digits.

Another way is to check the date stamps on the Shimano cranks and derailleurs. It will be two letters. Check this web site to work out the date - http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

Stewyh

Postby Stewyh » Sat May 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Scored this old hi-ten Apollo Alpine for free and figured it would make a decent commuter. Stripped & threw just about everything. Only original bits are frame, fork, stem & brake calipers. XL frame so suits my lanky legs.
Had it powdercoated in baby blue which looks the biz with the whitewalls I think. A Manitou sticker was happy to give up it's "a" which I stuck on the headtube as a tribute to its dubious Apollo "heritage". In a strange coincidence it used to belong to an old high school teacher of mine who's no longer with us.

Although pretty much a ground up resto it cost hardly anything thanks to having lots of bits lying around and some like-minded folks helping me out with a few other bits. Hit the cranks with matte black etch primer to hide the fact that the drive side is a Raceface Ride and the right a Truvativ Holzefeller haha.

Really comfy ride and feels solid as a rock. If I was gonna do some touring/bikepacking I'd use this one for sure over any of my other bikes, just chuck a rear mech on it. Anyway, pics...

From this...

Image18664703_10154628534890857_4333623894529524390_n by Stewart Hall, on Flickr

To This...

Image18698264_10154628532945857_5394074630407923216_n by Stewart Hall, on Flickr

Image18664711_10154628534690857_4881667245937262502_n by Stewart Hall, on Flickr

Image18670739_10154628534565857_2955710744251411519_n by Stewart Hall, on Flickr

morini

Postby morini » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Just picking up on the Apollo VI mystery. I own a Apollo VI frame I bought a number of years ago off ebay and recently began acquiring parts to build it up. Choosing some rims was difficult but I decided on some US made Sun rims and I discovered that Apollo Australia is supposed to be the importer so I called them. It turned out that they don't import them but during the conversation I told the bloke what I needed them for and he was very interested in my frame. According to him Apollo VI's were made for the World of Wheels chain of bike shops and were a special PR order. He reckons there are less than 10 in existence and were not built for race teams or sponsored riders but that each shop got one to display and sell. After re-reading this thread, who knows what to believe.

I have only ever come across two other pearl ones and that was on here. I have no idea about what small differences there are between the V and the VI and as far as I can make out the V and VI look the same, use Suntour dropouts (my VI has Suntour Superbe) it's made of Ishiwata 019 and has a 26.8 seat post. Here's mine - Kuwahara Osaka Japan sticker // serial number down the non drive side of the seat tube 84 07 82071

morini

Postby morini » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Here's some better photos to draw comparisons with.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:44 am

i had one (briefly). ownership was so short that i'm not sure i even have pics. someone offered me a price i couldn't refuse (and i was looking at another bike i really wanted around the time).
i remember ishiwata 019, and early superbe pro (with the red rings)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:59 am

morini wrote:Here's some better photos to draw comparisons with.

So similar to the construction of my V above. Not surprising I guess given the same manufacturer. Wish mine was made from the better Ishiwata tubing though.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Here's another Apollo VI. I was only speaking to a friend about his one a few hours before you posted about your one. This makes it number 3 of known existence(including munga's one). Are there really only 10 around?

Chromed Suntour Superbe dropouts too

Blurry pic, but I think that reads 84 06 20004. Located on the BB shell
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:01 pm

The bottom bracket stamp is unusual for a Kuwahara. Usually they are stamped on the non drive side of the seat tube, down near the bottom bracket.

dros

Postby dros » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 am

Gday Fello Apollophiles ,
Thanks for all of the contributors to this great little resource for the long lost/unloved Apollo. I have very fond memories of the 80's apollo mtb and their early adaption of aluminium tubing in the 90's. The great Cadel Evans started his career with an apollo , so surely this now places the brand in the legendary category!!

Ok so now onto my apollo competitor. I know little of the apollo road range of the late 80's when the japanese market was being stirred and shaken by economics and the overwhelming manufacturing competition from taiwan. A very interesting period indeed for alot of makers around the world , techniques materials and the mtb boom all contributing .

The frame is made from tange prestige (Taiwanese made, new tange sticker font/design) and lugged fork (no stamp so unkown manufacturer). The frame itself is what I would call of high quality and is very light , the fork on the other hand is 850grams so is of standard cromo tubing. Any hints as to a year of manufacture and corresponding apollo road lineup?

morini

Postby morini » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Good question about the numbers. I re-read this whole thread before posting and some one made the comment that there were 2 runs of them and they used both tube types, Ishiwata/Tange. Maybe they're confusing the Superbe spec'd V, like Scott's, with the small run of VI's? I don't know what to think but I'm tending to believe the Apollo guy. He was late 50's, career industry type, an ex bicycle racer so he might have know something.
The telling factor is that there are hardly any of them around and I've only ever seen the Ishiwata/Superbe versions on here. All of us are pretty ferocious hunters of this era of bikes so surely we'd notice one somewhere if it popped up. Or the others are at the bottom of the tip!
My count is 4. Mine, Mungas small one, another guy who has some brilliant pictures of his one on here that he bought new for $1100 and he even raced it and QuangVuong's friend's bike.

Six to find? Sounds hard but Koen, on here, has just found one of his holy grail so maybe we'll locate them yet.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 pm

been digging thru old folders on the pc and i found two pics of the one i bought. i did sell it to a guy on this forum - he also bought my olympic-branded 653 frame. maybe he will see this thread and post some photos as well.

Last edited by munga on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:09 am

haha , I just got on here after a break of 12 months with my bikes , (decided I needed to restore a Datsun.... :lol: )
Yep, I bought the VI off Munga, a while back. the ones in the pics above are 84s and mines a 1985. The pics above show a normal white paint and mines definitely a Pearl. Its 95% original and in really good nick, full superbe pro. Its a stunning little beastie.
Now someone remind me how to upload pics again....Please don't tell me I need to send pics to a host site, then copy the URL across etc etc ?? :cry:
When in doubt......mumble.

morini

Postby morini » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 am

Yep

Interesting the last one has a different font for the Apollo VI sticker + a number plate lug. So there are 2 different models/years?

munga

Postby munga » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Kermit TF wrote:haha , I just got on here after a break of 12 months with my bikes , (decided I needed to restore a Datsun.... :lol: )
Yep, I bought the VI off Munga, a while back. the ones in the pics above are 84s and mines a 1985. The pics above show a normal white paint and mines definitely a Pearl. Its 95% original and in really good nick, full superbe pro. Its a stunning little beastie.
Now someone remind me how to upload pics again....Please don't tell me I need to send pics to a host site, then copy the URL across etc etc ?? :cry:
grab a tissue, and share the link to your hosted pics inside [ img ] tags (sans spaces). glad you saw this. how's that olympic frame?

*regrets, i have a few*