Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Vintage Bikes With Modern Groupsets

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 22, 2015 7:31 pm

munga wrote:money doesn't buy class.
It can and it did.

Then it hung that build kit off it... :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Frame being upgraded with some modern and some old parts. Picked this frame up at the Sydney Show I recently got a donor bike for parts. It is going to take some time as I am not in a hurry with this bike. But just thought I would see what people think???

Danny

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 22, 2015 8:15 pm

For me, beyond a certain point (early 70s maybe?) modern parts just don't work.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 pm

old steel Bikes wrote:Frame being upgraded with some modern and some old parts. Picked this frame up at the Sydney Show I recently got a donor bike for parts. It is going to take some time as I am not in a hurry with this bike. But just thought I would see what people think???

Danny

I think that it could work nicely, but 32/36 hole box section rims would work better than those aero low spoke count Eurus wheels in my opinion (which I admit doesn't count for much :) )

Nice frame and colour.

koen

Postby koen » Fri May 22, 2015 8:35 pm

This is an older photo. I loved the look and the ride but eventually took this back to the eighties with the 50th Anniversary Record gear. I particularly liked he Sugino red chainrings. :)

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Fri May 22, 2015 8:38 pm

koen wrote:This is an older photo. I loved the look and the ride but eventually took this back to the eighties with the 50th Anniversary Record gear. I particularly liked he Sugino red chainrings. :)

Classic bike and colour scheme. Have always loved that Saronni red look.

Wingnut

Vintage Bikes With Modern Groupsets

Postby Wingnut » Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 am

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Sun May 24, 2015 2:44 am

My latest creation. Early 80's Batavus Professional Reynolds 531c tubing, bacoma lugs and Campagnolo dropouts, running Ulegra 6700 with 6800 crankset and RS 80 hoops

Picked up the frame and forks from a guy on eBay and it arrived from Eindhoven a couple of days ago and I couldn't help myself and built her up straight away.
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

dillyboy

Postby dillyboy » Mon May 25, 2015 12:07 pm

I don't really like to look of modern bikes (and I wanted something cheap to get me back on the road) so opted for an old Apollo.

The upgrade bug hit and a veloce crankset & wheels came up here at the right price so here's my baby now:

Edit: Broken link
Don't ask to ride my bike & I won't ask to shag your missus....

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Wingnut wrote:Image
Very nicely done - super tasteful.

Grand Bois?

E

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon May 25, 2015 1:02 pm

No idea, off the Velocipedesalon site...

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon May 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Wingnut wrote:No idea, off the Velocipedesalon site...
Haha ok - thought it was yours. If it's Velocipede Salon it's highly likely Grand Bois ...

E

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Sachs doesn't count cause he builds them for modern groups.

Jim

RIDER321

Postby RIDER321 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:10 pm

After a 50km coastal ride on Sunday I would like to share my thoughts from my original post for those who are looking at doing something similar. So was it worth it?

I received very few direct answers in regards to the actual question I asked in the first post and was instead bombarded with pictures of beautiful vintage bikes!

I've ridden many 12sp low, mid and high end vintage bikes so I'll try break down my thoughts below.

So first thing that surprised me is just how light the alloy wheels that were swapped for the Shimano RS80's actually are. The difference was a mere 100g with tyres and tubes. I was expecting a larger difference given that the RS80 are carbon and less comfortable.

The ride is a little harsher with the RS80's vs vintage high-end alloy wheels but still very acceptable thanks to the great Tange 1 frame.

When riding with the new 20sp gearing I find myself in gear 9 and 10 the most. I still haven't found a use for the 5 to 1 gears!

In comparison the 12sp vintage bikes achieved similar average speeds in gear 5 and 6 (comparing to modern 9 and 10).

The biggest advantage is that I now find it slightly easier to maintain speed, 40km/h can be pinned for a few kilometres more over previously.

The top speed difference is hardly worth mentioning.

Brakes are now very good but not substantially better than high-end vintage.

Handling not much better than before.

Largest advantage is that you can now finds parts more easily when comparing to vintage.

As someone mentioned on the first page unless you live in a hilly area than it won't make a huge difference with the extra gearing. Certainly not for the price you will pay.

koen

Postby koen » Tue May 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Oops..sorry. I was one of the ones who posted a pretty bike and didn't look all the way back to op.

Interesting to read your thoughts. Having grown up on limited gears it always seems to me that all those gears are not needed unless you race. Even then I persisted with 7 or 8 sp downtube shifters and 28 spoke tubular wheels on steel frame long after everyone had more gears and brifters. I never thought I was at a significant disadvantage except maybe at higher speeds hitting the front compared to others with deep rims.
The close gearing is nice when there are small changes in speed in a bunch but I never use riding around at 25 to 30kph

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue May 26, 2015 4:51 pm

familyguy wrote:Sachs doesn't count cause he builds them for modern groups.

Jim
The only difference is the down tubes bosses moved and tubing diameter...vintage construction? [emoji6]

milkman

Postby milkman » Thu May 28, 2015 6:10 pm

My gios with Athena 11. Not quite a retro bike but steel all the same. Love the way it rides.

https://flic.kr/p/adSNT5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://flic.kr/p/adQ26i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://flic.kr/p/adSQEq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Mine...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu May 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Very, very nice.

RIDER987

Postby RIDER987 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:08 pm

Thought I should update this thread 1 year later! (I'm the O.P but had to make a new account)

I've done 3000kms on this bike since built and haven't had ANY issues. Not even a puncture!

It's been a dream to ride, very comfortable and enjoyable.

I recently achieved my best average speed on this bike of 37.2km/h over 62km.

Highly recommend it as you get the best of both worlds, modern components and that beautiful steel ride.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 pm

RIDER987 wrote:
I'm happy if I average 27km/hr over half that distance.

RIDER987

Postby RIDER987 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:33 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
RIDER987 wrote:
I'm happy if I average 27km/hr over half that distance.
I also can't come close to that on any of my other steel bikes. The bike does fit me like a glove so could be that.

Exact stats from that ride as confirmed by my bike computer and event timing system are 63.68km, time 1:42:31, max 55km/h, av 37.2km/h.

I would love to build this bike with the most high-end modern components just to see how much better it could be. Would be expensive though.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:34 am

1940's Hetchins Super Special with 1980's Suntour Superbe Pro Group. This bike is amongst the best I've ridden. I should be noted that my next or equal best is my '82 Krapf. They have in common fairly tight geometry and Superbe groupsets. The only pain point on the Hetchins is braking. I suppose that replacing the 80's blocks would rectify this.

The only modern point of reference I have is a c. 2010 Norco roadie, which is still fun but ... somehow it's ends up on the indoor trainer :-(

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:41 am

utedeej wrote:
old steel Bikes wrote:Frame being upgraded with some modern and some old parts. Picked this frame up at the Sydney Show I recently got a donor bike for parts. It is going to take some time as I am not in a hurry with this bike. But just thought I would see what people think???

Danny

I think that it could work nicely, but 32/36 hole box section rims would work better than those aero low spoke count Eurus wheels in my opinion (which I admit doesn't count for much :) )

Nice frame and colour.
After the nice words about this build it was back to the drawing board. So much for a cheap build and getting rid of some parts that where really never going to be used. Since then I have been gathering the parts for a complete restoration and the frame deserves that.

After chasing as much info as possible I have tacked the owner of the person who actually raced it some years back they also past on some photos of him at the Australian titles. It is defiantly a genuine Royal Star built by John Hardaker RIP for the rider to go to the Australian Titles John assisted Ron Bates in his shop at Hurstville building frames.

As for the build it is not going to be exactly the same with period parts but will be repainted in the same colours. I hope you think I am now doing the right thing. Thanks making me chase the history of the bike and catching up with a person I had not seen for 40 years he actually came to the Sydney Show this year

Danny