Blue Frame with Colnago Headset!

WyvernRH

Blue Frame with Colnago Headset!

Postby WyvernRH » Mon May 11, 2015 9:27 am

I picked this frame up a while back in the Upper Hunter. The chap selling was a BMX buff who had no real idea what it was or had been and just wanted rid of it.

It is well built with some very pretty lugs, scolloped chainstay tops, diamond re-reinforcement on the brake bridge,has Campag f/r dropouts and a slotted B'Bracket shell. 27.2 seatpost dia.
I originally thought it might have Haden lugs but the fork is Tange factory built, stamped for 1978 with a Tange fork crown so maybe the rest of the lugs are Tange? Tubing also maybe?
Has anybody seen this style of lug before, I can't find an exact match.
It came with a Campag B'Bracket and a headset engraved with COLNAGO which is a new one to me. Are they a common fitting on the Colnago bikes?

I founds that Tange made forks for TREK at this point in time to be used in TREK frames, so maybe it's a steel TREK?

I will say that it is not a light frame (unless Campag make their bottom bracket sets out of lead, I haven't removed it yet) Which tends me to think it is possibly plain gauge tubing of whatever type.

So, info sought! Anyone recognize the lugset? What's with the COLNAGO headset? Is it a TREK? If not - any idea what it is?
Very nice frame, I'm going to enjoy building this one up. My best guess at the moment is a Japanese builder, whatever it was branded as or maybe a custom Oz build using an off the shelf fork?

Cheers
Richard
Last edited by WyvernRH on Mon May 11, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LG

Re: Blue Frame with Colagno Headset!

Postby LG » Mon May 11, 2015 10:49 am

Nice looking frame, I assume your spelling suffers on occasion like mine and you mean Colnago?
LG = Low Gear

WyvernRH

Re: Blue Frame with Colagno Headset!

Postby WyvernRH » Mon May 11, 2015 12:15 pm

LG wrote:Nice looking frame, I assume your spelling suffers on occasion like mine and you mean Colnago?
Yup brain fade while typing.
Richard

LG

Re: Blue Frame with Colnago Headset!

Postby LG » Mon May 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Forgot to add in previous message, headset looks like nuovo record, I can only assume that actual colnago owners would love one of them. The fork crown appears similar to mine in my 'unknown frame thread'.
LG = Low Gear

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon May 11, 2015 1:58 pm

LG wrote:Forgot to add in previous message, headset looks like nuovo record, I can only assume that actual colnago owners would love one of them. The fork crown appears similar to mine in my 'unknown frame thread'.
Yes I noticed the similarity, same fork crown and bottom bracket. The lugs on yours are definitely from Tange tho. I found several Tange catalogues on the Web and those short point with cut out lugs appear in several of them. Nothing exactly like the long points on my frame sadly.

The Headset will be coming off soon when the paint job is done so maybe I can do a trade with a Colnago owner for a 'normal' Campag headset cos whatever this frame is, it surely can't be a Colnago!

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Blast from the past...
I've had this frame hanging on the wall prevaricating about getting paint done. In the end I decided to risk it and see if the older me could do a decent rattle-can job so I could build it it up and ride the thing. The younger me was totally hopeless with paint of any description!

Well with a lot of patience (my failing normally) I managed to get a passable finish over several weeks using the 'White Knight' metal paint. Still not 100% but passable. As this was an experiment I did the lug lining and some of the coloured cut-outs with POSCA paint pens. These make keeping a constant thickness line easy but have their own technique which I am still learning. One thing is they are less forgiving than a brush when 'bumping' over brazing faults! So here it is:

Parts all came from the spares box so they are a bit of a mixture, trying to keep to the late 70's supposed date of the bike. Mind you, mix and match was the way of it then, groupsets were for Pros only....

Wheels - Suzue low flange with Rigida 20mm clincher rims, Schwalbe 23c tyres
Bars - 44cm generic alloy
Brake levers - ProStar? Well that's what it says on the hoods. They came with a crappy set of Modulos that got binned.
Brakes - Gipiemme
Stem - GB panto
Headset - Campagnolo
Seatpost - SR fluted
Saddle - Bontrager (that's gonna change RSN)
Chainset/Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo Record with Rino 52/42 rings
Pedals - Welgo with some spiffy blue Italian clips I found at the bottom of the box.
Gear levers/Front/Rear Derailleurs - Suntour BL
Freewheel - Shimano 12-28

Weight 22lbs 10kg (ish)

With all the rain I have only had a quick blip around the town to check adjustments but it seems to handle and accelerate quite well.

Still love to know who built it but I guess that's just going to be one of life's little mysteries :wink:

Richard
Last edited by WyvernRH on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 am

^ Do like. Did the Colnago headset get a gig or did you sell that for an exorbitant price to a vulnerable retrogrouch?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:25 am

P!N20 wrote:^ Do like. Did the Colnago headset get a gig or did you sell that for an exorbitant price to a vulnerable retrogrouch?
The Colnago headset made its way to GaryF via Utdeej in exchange for a 'normal' Campag headset to be used on his Colnago back in 2015 IRRC (Gosh two years ago! Doesn't time fly...)

Richard

uart

Postby uart » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:19 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Blast from the past...
I've had this frame hanging on the wall prevaricating about getting paint done. In the end I decided to risk it and see if the older me could do a decent rattle-can job so I could build it it up and ride the thing. The younger me was totally hopeless with paint of any description!

Well with a lot of patience (my failing normally) I managed to get a passable finish over several weeks using the 'White Knight' metal paint. Still not 100% but passable.
Richard
Looks really good Richard. :)

BTW. I used a "hammer tone" Dulux Metalshield from a rattle can on my recent "back from the dead" restoration (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=93774) and I've been reasonably happy with the result. Just wondering what exact colour was marked on the rattle can you used. It looks good.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:24 pm

uart wrote: BTW. I used a "hammer tone" Dulux Metalshield from a rattle can on my recent "back from the dead" restoration (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=93774) and I've been reasonably happy with the result. Just wondering what exact colour was marked on the rattle can you used. It looks good.
On checking the tin it is actually Wattyl Killrust 'Gloss Ocean'

Richard

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:42 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
P!N20 wrote:^ Do like. Did the Colnago headset get a gig or did you sell that for an exorbitant price to a vulnerable retrogrouch?
The Colnago headset made its way to GaryF via Utdeej in exchange for a 'normal' Campag headset to be used on his Colnago back in 2015 IRRC (Gosh two years ago! Doesn't time fly...)

Richard
Thanks for the Colnago headset Richard. It was MUCH APPRECIATED. I have not fitted it to a Colnago as yet but I did have it out the other day just to admire it and make sure it is still in good condition.

My problem is that I have 3 frames it would suit and I just can't make my mind up as to which one it would really suit. My 'favourite' frame that I think it would best suit curently has a component mix exactly the same a Beppe Saronni used when he won the World Championship. I've just got to wait until I get over this little obsession I seem to have with Saronni and his bike. I have another later model Colnago Super that it would also suit but it is second in line (in my mind).

I've got this strange feeling that Gipiemme made these 'Colnago' headsets.

Thanks once again Richard - very generous of you and really appreciated.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Been giving this bike a good workout over the last few weeks. The wheels got swapped for a Shimano Exage/Weinmann concave rim set from my Paino (which had acquired a 'supposedly better' higher range Shimano set) and whatever this bike is it absolutely flies.

I have been doing some digging on the frame and fittings to try and find some sort of background for the bike and maybe LG's very similar frame. I have come to the conclusion that the lugs and b'bracket are definitely a Haden Royal. They match the catalog exactly and no Tange set comes close. Haden also made a scalloped chainstay top as used on this frame. The forks are the only certainty, stamped with Tange markings for 1978 and there is both a Haden and Tange fork crown that come close. So does this mean Tange made the forks or just the tubeset in 1978? Both front and rear dropouts are Campag but these were used everywhere.
I scoured the frame tubes for any stampings when I stripped it but found nothing. It is seamless double butted (endoscope) and very light for the frame size so I'm pretty sure given the weight and 1978 date it is going to be a Tange Champion No 1 or No 2 frameset, possibly No 1 once you have taken off the weight of the lugs, etc?

One interesting point I did find out was that Shogun did custom builds in Japan during the 70's for international customers, both one-offs and short runs for businesses (small bike shops?) You told them what you wanted and they built it. I have heard it said (word of mouth, no proof) that other Japanese bike manufacturers of the time were also flexible enough to do this.

So, possibly what we have here is a small run order for a NSW(?) bike shop to badge up as their own in the late 1970's or a one-off order.
This could explain the lack of frame number, which really excludes it being a production frame be it Trek, Shogun, Nishiki or whatever.

As always any extra info or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Richard