1952 EA Boult

Clydesdale Scot

1952 EA Boult

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 pm

I have another project
a 1952 EA Boult
I am currently acquiring the components for it.
Perhaps the most relevant to this frame and its owner will be this

The frame has a wonderful history and this is being documented by Dave, it sole previous owner. Dave is also the consultant for the project. I highly value the time I have spent with him and look forward to spending a lot more as the project progresses.

Components were replaced as they wore, the frame had many repaints.
It is my intention to return the frame to how it was originally finished, and with period components.
There are very few EA Boults known to exist, but remarkably the correct decal set is available from H.Lloyds as the artwork was prepared by a collector who has refinished a frame.

I am currently on the lookout for GB Coureur brake callipers, GB Spearpoint stem, a domed 27.2 seatpost and Simplex 5 speed TDF derailleur.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

xerlex

Re: 1952 EA Boult

Postby xerlex » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:31 pm

What length stem are you after?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:14 pm

A fairly standard one. Just arrived in Singapore and I will be away for a few weeks in Myanmar. So no hurry.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:24 pm

1952 is around the time of the Ernie Witcomb takeover of Boult, must have been one of the last with those transfers. I'll have a dig as I'm pretty sure I have a couple of domed seatposts (not sure about 27.2 tho') and I might have a 5-speed brass centre for a Simplex which is mostly what you need to convert a 3/4 speed to a 5 speed. Would a Huret do or does it have to fit a Simplex dropout?

Richard

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:02 am

I have nothing to offer except my curiosity about the photo above and the magical brass bit that converts a 3/4 speed Simplex derailleur into a 5 speed :-)

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:02 pm

RobertFrith wrote:I have nothing to offer except my curiosity about the photo above and the magical brass bit that converts a 3/4 speed Simplex derailleur into a 5 speed :-)
No magic involved. The TDF was not the most sophisticated piece of kit. To turn a 3/4 into a 5 the cage just had to be allowed to move further over toward the wheel which basically means a longer centre spindle (that's the bit just to the right of the pull chain in the diagram below. A longer pull chain spindle is also required but this can be hacked from the shorter one with a bit of filing to allow it to fit further into the centre spindle.

Here are some centre spindles, hard to see but there is actually three different lengths here.

Richard

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Richard, I am very interested in the modification. I have a 3 speed version that I can use for the task.
Robert. The photo was a teaser of a part I need to have made that will be an accessory on the frame.
I put it up to test knowledge of a period correct accessory, and one which the owner of this frame was associated with its manufacture back in the day.
The concept is well known to those that ride modern carbon bikes, but the ones who see the first version are often in disbelief when I explain its origins. The Boult frame has the accessory mount brazed on.
Philip
in Yangon .

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:54 pm

OK, I'll have a stab; it looks like the lever from a vintage Lytaloy CO2 inflator.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:43 am

Nice work Robert. A Pennine CO2 pump lever. The previous owner of the frame was involved in the manufacture of the pumps. See the Classic Lightweights page where Dave's recollections are recorded.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:35 pm

An update:
Dave with his EA Boult. Dave has been the frame owner 1952 to 2015

and here it is after I have started getting it back to bare metal
next is to use a chemical paint stripper to get the remaining paint off. The fork light bracket will be removed, then the frame will be gently bead-blasted.

I have been slowly accumulating parts
pedals

unidentified chainrings, after a bath in oxalic acid. These and the crank arms will be replated.

Stronglight Competition No. 45 cottered 5-PIN steel crankset (thanks Hugo for the identification)

Lytaloy headset

Coureur brakes

and Superhood levers

Dave recalls that the frame was originally chrome with a flamboyant magenta finish.
The design below is based on the original colour scheme. It will be used for discussion with the frame painter. Dave is a former draughtsman and provided the drawing.

the lugs are mainly Nervex Serie Legere Model 48/161. The fork crown is yet to be identified.

I have some Blumfield high flange hubs and am soon to get a set of Conloy Boa rims.
Discussions are currently underway for the remaining parts.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:55 pm

I was looking through the box of spares that Dave included with the EA Boult.
Included was a Huret front derailleur.
Not your everyday 'common as muck' rod variety, but a cable operated one, that appears to date from 1950.
Specifically it appears to be the 'Tour de France' model, not the similar 'Competition' model.
see this page

It has the same engravings as this
Source

I have not been able to find any examples of one fitted to a frame.
It appears to have been made for use with a dual shift lever.

The same image appears in the 4th edition of The Dancing Chain on p160
Now to try to work out how it can be used with a Campagnolo Gran Sport rear derailleur with its downtube shift lever.
Perhaps a Cyclo bar end shifter on the right hand side?
The frame has the pulley mount at the top of the bottom bracket, so it may be able (or designed) to accommodate both the front and rear derailleur cables.

contributions are welcomed, then I will seek Dave's wise counsel.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:35 pm

As I was nowhere near the Sydney Classic Bike Show :( , I put some components on the frame today :)
(some looser than others!) :oops:
then applied the colour scheme that Dave remembers

This mockup will assist in the discussion with the frame painter. The frame will be painted silver with flamboyant magenta highlights.

A few years ago the decal artwork had been supplied to Nick at H.Lloyds for printing. There were some small details on the decal for the head tube and seat tube which I thought needed some work.
That happened this week. We how have artwork that I am happy to have on this frame.
Nick held the file as a CorelDraw but I work in Illustrator. It was a nervous wait to see if the files were able to be successfully read. From what Nick wrote, it is becoming an ever greater problem.
Full points to Nick for his patience. He is excellent to deal with.

As for the front derailleur cable run, Dave said it ran from the left bar end shifter down the left side of the downtube, then under the bottom bracket then back up to the derailleur. So that is how it will go.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:19 pm

Looks like it will be a lovely bike. I love the bend on the fork. A lot less trail on bikes of old. Perfect for crap roads.

Why can't Dave tell you how the Huret derailleur was mounted and actuated? Personally I think the rod operated version would be a lot easier to use

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:24 am

singlespeedscott wrote: Why can't Dave tell you how the Huret derailleur was mounted and actuated? Personally I think the rod operated version would be a lot easier to use
he did ^^ (but I buried it after the ramblings on the decal)
As for the front derailleur cable run, Dave said it ran from the left bar end shifter down the left side of the downtube, then under the bottom bracket then back up to the derailleur. So that is how it will go.
and it is the less often seen cable operated version
Not your everyday 'common as muck' rod variety, but a cable operated one, that appears to date from 1950.
The rod and cable operated front derailleurs sold side by side, but this cable one appears to be one of the earliest versions, and the cable routing was a challenge they were facing in the early 1950s. I like that it is there to show how they came up with the solution, which became more refined as the years went by. Plus the cable operated version was the one that Dave bought and used, then put in the parts box. The derailleur is part of the bikes very early history so it appropriate for it to be returned to use. When I first met with Dave and explained my approach to returning the frame to period parts, he openly expressed his view that he looked forward to upgrading as parts wore out, or better ones came along. He thought I was being a bit precious. Shows what an astute man he is.

I rather like the idea of having a range of components so I can track their development. The reason I am interested in the period immediately after WW2 is that there was a variety and innovation. After that I regard it as refinement of the concepts. For gears, I have the Osgear on the Hobbs, the Simplex TDF on the Spearman, I plan on a Campagnolo Gran Sport on the EA Boult with the Huret FD, and a Cyclo Benelux on the Ace Special. These represent many of the competing companies of the period. A look at Disraeli Gears shows the number of companies producing derailleurs and each one was striving to come up with an innovative approach. Contrast that with today.

I do have a Simplex rod operated FD in my parts box. A very early form and really only 'correct' on a 1947-8 bike. But Dad only had 3 speed RD so it is inappropriate for the Spearman.
And I do have the Simplex single pulley wheel RD that would also go on that vintage frame. No I don't need N+1, particularly as I haven't told Liz about the ladies Legnano, the EA Boult, the Ace Special or the Giessauf renovated Super Elliott.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:53 pm

The hubs were given a polish this morning. And nice enough to share.
Blumfield Duralites 32/40

And the Cyclo front wingnuts were in the box of bits Dave gave me when I bought the frame.

The rims are now paid for and collected. Constrictor Boaloy in beautiful condition. No further polishing needed.
The Constrictor Boa pedals have arrived, bathed in kero, then a warm spa in the ultrasonic cleaner, then a polish. No need for any rechroming. Another item finished.

I have been playing with the paint scheme in Illustrator, and made some maskings in paper. If they get Dave's approval, I will see if the frame painter wants them cut in vinyl for him to use.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Another great read Philip he bike will be another excellent build as always looking forward to seeing the finished project. I think the wheels will really set it off.

Danny

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun May 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Many thanks to Mario: a Cyclo bar end shifter
Image for the front derailleur.

and many thanks to my brother-in-law for taking on the task of fabricating a reproduction Pennine CO2 pump lever.
After many iterations of the custom tools, he came up with one that he was happy with.

form and function.

The pump on the right is the original version with knurled bands for grip.
The pump on the left is the later version where the grips were cut bands from Dare handlebar sleeves. I am getting a quote on getting these moulded from a section of a sleeve I have left over from the Hobbs bike. It is in yellow, and the grip bands were always in red.
Then I can replace the red bar tape that came with the pump I bought. If the quote doesn't proceed then it is time to buy a knurling tool and ask Peter to fabricate a aluminium master on his lathe and then have my urethane makers use that to create a mould to make the two bands.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

7VEN

Postby 7VEN » Sat May 28, 2016 3:49 pm

That Cyclo bar end shifter is a thing of beauty Phillip! Project is looking good!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat May 28, 2016 5:56 pm

the forks are about to have a 2800 km round trip to have the brazed on bit removed.
Personally couriered.

7VEN

Postby 7VEN » Sat May 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:the forks are about to have a 2800 km round trip to have the brazed on bit removed.
Personally couriered.
Tell me more!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat May 28, 2016 8:44 pm

7VEN wrote:Tell me more!
a drive over to Wollongong, before a short break to a part of Australia closer to NZ than it is to the Australian mainland.

While I am in Wollongong it will be a short drive to meet with legendary Australian frame builder Geoff Scott to give him some of my Brooklyn decals and for him to debraze the light mount on the right fork blade.
Some Italian cable outers are tracked to Adelaide after their trip from Chicago, so they will wait until I get back, and the moulding of the red grips for the Pennine pump was collected this week.

You must be excited about your latest Hobbs.
Still think that fork need shifting rearward to be much closer to the freewheel.

and a teaser for you. Not mine.

Have you seen many with the metal badge like this?
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LG

Postby LG » Sat May 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
a drive over to Wollongong, before a short break to a part of Australia closer to NZ than it is to the Australian mainland.
Lord Howe Island I assume you lucky bugger, very high on my priority list as well. I believe there is a forum member on the island.
LG = Low Gear

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat May 28, 2016 10:37 pm

no, further east than Lord Howe, but about the same land mass.
We'll be there for Bounty Day.

LG

Postby LG » Sun May 29, 2016 7:39 am

Ah of course, the part of Australia that doesn't want to be part of Australia. One of two Australian Islands which are closer to NZ than Australia. Bike riding there?
LG = Low Gear

7VEN

Postby 7VEN » Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
and a teaser. Have you seen many with the metal badge like this?
Sounds like a great trip. Who does that belong to and what are the plans for it? Not sure I've seen one like that before!