Dean Toseland or Whitehorn?

hiflange

Dean Toseland or Whitehorn?

Postby hiflange » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm trying to identify the rider in this photograph from a collection that has been loaned to the WAHCC. Almost everything else in the collection dates from 1947 or 1948. The inscription on the back says Dean Whitehorn, however it was made many years after the photo was taken and the current custodian thinks that it's Dean Toseland. The rest of the collection is images and race programmes from Kalgoorlie and the Eastern Goldfields.

Last edited by hiflange on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverlight

Re: Dean Toseland?

Postby silverlight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:04 am

Thats Dean Whitehorn
I havent got my site at the moment but i have a profile on him,
One of Australias best cyclist and having met the man he is an absolute gentleman,

SL

hiflange

Re: Dean Toseland?

Postby hiflange » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:26 am

I figured you'd have something on your site, it was my first port of call, but "under construction"? What's happened?

silverlight

Re: Dean Toseland or Whitehorn?

Postby silverlight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:05 am

Hi RobertFrith
Just doing a bit of a clean-up, tidy up on the site but taking longer than expected.
Hopefully up in the next few days

SL

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:11 am

Are there any good sources of info on Deane Toseland or Dean Whitehorn? I know Toseland burst onto the scene in the 1934 Centenary 1000 & twice won the Warnambool, but haven't seen much on him.

Similarly Dean Whitehorn won numerous national track titles, was part of a group of riders who were sent to Europe in 1952, along with John Beasley, Peter Anthony, and Eddie Smith, but I haven't seen much written about him
Anything you can do, I can do slower

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:55 am

Hi All
Sad news of Dean Whitehorn passing away in the last couple of days.
Dean was an absolute legend of Australian cycling, a colossal amount of victories to his name and was also still riding in the veteran races in his later years.
I met Dean Whitehorn a few years ago, he kindly showed me his scrapbook and talked about his victories and the fun times with many cycling greats, he had such enthusiasm for the sport and showed me his trophies & awards cabinet and also got on his exercise bike to give me his daily run down of himself staying in shape, the bottom image of Dean on my site was given to me by Dean himself so I could get a copy to put on the page ( www.aussievelos.net ) and he also signed a postcard sized image for me.
A true gentleman of cycling and remains as Australians finest cyclist of the past era.
RIP.

DanielleSpicer

Postby DanielleSpicer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi all.
Dean Toseland was my great grandfather. I am trying to compile all I know about him currently. He built me my first bike!

cYn

Postby cYn » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:07 pm

I cant pm as I'm only new but can someone please pass my email address through to the user above me. My grandfather William Whitefield knew Dean and raced with and against him and has some stories to share. He's 93 at the moment and I'd like to facilitate her having a chat to him.

amyannick

Postby amyannick » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:04 am

cYn wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:07 pm
I cant pm as I'm only new but can someone please pass my email address through to the user above me. My grandfather William Whitefield knew Dean and raced with and against him and has some stories to share. He's 93 at the moment and I'd like to facilitate her having a chat to him.
I've sent the two of you a PM so you can connect.

cYn

Postby cYn » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:53 am

Thankyou. I really appreciate it.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 pm

It would be great if some of the stories can be shared :-)