GT Tachyon Crossover

brasstinman

GT Tachyon Crossover

Postby brasstinman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Does anyone else own a GT Tachyon Crossover? Do you still ride it regularly?
I recently picked this 1991 one owner up which I plan to use for touring and audax rides which I haven't yet started but am aiming to this year.

700D wheels running 650B tyres. It doesn't have the flip stem or the horizontal dropout on the front forks I've seen on some of the bicycles in the US forums.

I rode the bike briefly before disassembly and it rode beautifully. I love the shifters on the bars, the bars are very comfortable.
I'm part way through putting it back together after a disassembly for clean up and some parts being replaced ready for touring duties.

Please let me know if you can't see the pictures of the bicycle as I'm sharing them via google. Or here is a link to the album where they're shared https://photos.app.goo.gl/2WtKRgQfsvppyh7I3

Last edited by brasstinman on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GaryF

Re: GT Tachyon Crossover

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Sorry, can't see the pictures. GT used to make some stylish bikes so it will be interesting to see in photo form.

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Moved the photos to an album and made sure the album and it's content was shared publicly and redid all the links. Hope it's working now.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Yes Photos!

I'm sorry, I've never owned one.

It looks like all the bones are there for a successful touring bike. I really like the way GT extends the top tube behind the seat tube just to accomodate their logo. The rear stay location is also typical GT.

I don't know much about Audax but I think your present tyre choice could be a little heavy? Now - I don't really know what I'm talking about so feel free to tell me to pull my head in.

jwilkersongt

Postby jwilkersongt » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:12 am

I bought this Tachyon new in 1992 and just finished a conversion to 650b

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:21 am

jwilkersongt wrote:Image

I bought this Tachyon new in 1992 and just finished a conversion to 650b
Nice
Anything you can do, I can do slower

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 am

The OP’s Tachyon is has a few differences to other ones I’ve seen. Interestingly the frame is made in Japan and not Taiwan. The steerer is 1”. I thought the Tachyon used a 1 1/8”. And the fork is the same as the one used on the next cross over model down, the Continum.

I just bought a Continum and will post some piccies later.