'Retro' steel vs 'Modern' article

WyvernRH

'Retro' steel vs 'Modern' article

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Not sure if I'm a bit late on with this link.
As someone whose riding has spanned various frame materials and equipment fads over the years I found this article highly amusing if ill-informed (and badly written but that's by the by)

http://road.cc/content/news/237514-retr ... -britannia

The rider/writer seems very unadaptable and have little understanding of bike setup and gearing options from any period.

Richard

10speedsemiracer

Re: 'Retro' steel vs 'Modern' article

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:09 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Not sure if I'm a bit late on with this link.
As someone whose riding has spanned various frame materials and equipment fads over the years I found this article highly amusing if ill-informed (and badly written but that's by the by).....
In same boat, re the equipment fads (so much changes and yet is still the same old stuff).

Still, ignoring the talking muppet on the video, is nice to see pre-'87 frames in motion.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:17 pm

I tripped over the extended version of the video after watching the short version:

Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

uart

Postby uart » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:34 pm

WyvernRH wrote: The rider/writer seems very unadaptable and have little understanding of bike setup and gearing options from any period.
Richard
LOL. I don't know where he got the idea that you aren't allowed to use comfortable bar tape or anything wider than 23c on an older bike. That is quite bizarre. :shock:

I did really like his analogy about riding one of these old bikes though - that after a while it becomes "just like riding a bike". You don't say? Look, I'm a just simple soul, that sounds a bit too abstract a concept for me. 8)