Convert SS to Fixed?

KetoPirate

Convert SS to Fixed?

Postby KetoPirate » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi all

I bough a cheap single speed bike and took the crappy brakes off it. Is there a simple way to conver the single speed wheel to a fixed? Or do i have to replace the whole rear rim?

Thanks

KGB

Re: Convert SS to Fixed?

Postby KGB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:12 am

It's quite easy to remove the ss cog but will require a specific tool. Threading on the fixed cog can be done by hand BUT to tighten it properly you either need a chain whip tool or you really need to Stomp on the pedals hard (ideally while clipped in). Your biggest problem is that there most likely won't be a lockring thread on the hub. I don't use a lockring when racing on the track but on the street I'd say it's a good idea to have it on there as a safety measure to stop the cog unwinding in emergency situations.
Post a pic of the hub and we'll be able to tell you more.

In short: its easy but may require tools you don't have.

KetoPirate

Postby KetoPirate » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks KGB

I managed to get the single speed free wheel cog off. It was just the standard threaded type. I ordered this: https://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/ ... ilver.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully it fits. After a bit of research i found out about the "suicide hub" and plan to use red loctite and rotafix it on. Will keep the front brake just in case.

If anyone knows where I can get a fixed 170mm symmetrical fat bike hub i will just build a fixed rear for it but will use the death trap method for now :P

Cheers

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:27 pm

That cog will almost certainly fit there's only one screw-on standard. There's a small chance that your chain line may be out, so check it once you have everything together.

And make sure you use a lock ring
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 pm

You can use a bottom-brace lock-ring on a threaded rear hub - it is the same diameter and thread. This used to be called a "suicide hub" as the lock ring can unthread. proper fixed gear hubs have a left-hand threaded locking which will tighten as the sprocket loosens.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:37 pm

What's the BB height? I have a bike that's fine as a SS but sucked as a fixie because the BB is too low, so I needed to take a really wide line around corners to avoid pedal strike. 10 3/4" (273mm) or higher is fine, assuming you're using double-sided SPDs. You can go a tiny bit lower if your pedals are very low-profile.