Hi!... and Freedom HPV

car7er

Hi!... and Freedom HPV

Postby car7er » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and possibly new to biking again.

Due to having a lower back injury, I haven't been riding for a long time. I've also never been able to be comfortable on a standard bike due to the lack of padding on my rear end ;) When I was a weighty kid, it was no problem but as I got older and thinner, it got unbearable. I bought a bike a few months ago and tried every seat I could get and although its much better, 30 minutes is the most I'm able to withstand.

I've been eyeing off recumbent trikes for a few years but its always been out of my budget. Recently, I've found an affordable second hand one but information is scarce. Its a Freedom HPV Scirrocco. I don't know what year it was made in as I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

I've found a VERY dated looking website and a review on the bike from 1997-8 which rated it very well but thats about it.
http://www.freedomhpvs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are Freedom HPV still in business and even if the bike is that old, is it still worth buying as a first trike for under $1000? From what I can tell, it was a $3000+ machine back in the day.

Thanks in advance. Would appreciate any advice offered.

Ben

zebee

Re: Hi!... and Freedom HPV

Postby zebee » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:42 am

Haven't heard of them but they seem to be before my time recumbenting...

Looking at the page, the only thing that might be tricky is the Sachs brakes, getting bits could be difficult. Wouldn't let that stop you if the shoes have meat on them as they should last a while. I think Greenspeed used to do these so you might contact them via greenspeed.com.au as to possibilities. If there is little or no meat on them then I think you would need to pass it by if the owner can't tell you where to get shoes as those are very old hubs and I dunno you would quickly find replacements.

Other than that it looks like a pretty standard tadpole and for what you want it should do the job as long as it fits you.

car7er

Postby car7er » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks zebee

I ended up getting it for $750. Which I hope is a decent price.

It happened to have Shimano disk brakes and not the Sachs. Does have Sachs written on the twist shifters however but all the gearing and brakes are Shimano.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Looks like it was well looked after for most its life. Needs a bit of TLC now. I took it for a 4km ride this morning and was cut short by the chain slipping and jamming itself into the forks. None of the gear changes were matching with the indexes and it eventually caught me out going up a hill and I came to a quick stop. Chain jumped off when rolling back.

I did a little googling and worked out how to tune the gears correctly and all seems well again. Another 6k's this afternoon without any problems. Since I haven't ridden a bike any real distance for most of my adulthood, it'll take some time to build up my legs. I'm willing, my muscles aren't.

All in all, other than having to get it serviced at some point in the near future and probably some new tyres, all looks well. Had a great time on it.

car7er

Postby car7er » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:33 pm

See if I can post a picture... not sure if I need to get to a post count or not.

Here goes:
My better half having a test riding

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:28 am

Looks like a decent bit of kit. Similar to a greenspeed in some ways.

I think you have done well there and should have a good time on it. I know all about the flesh being weak when I git my first 'bent I was so unfit I was walking up speed bumps... At least with a trike you don't have to worry about balance.

You might want to pick up some be-seen flashing lights front and rear as in places without much traffic people really don't look as such. The see what they expect to see which is cars and you have to attract attention.

Where are you? Might be other riders near you and going out in a group is always fun if only for the looks you get.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:13 pm

Looks nice. Congratulations.
Once you've ironed out the little bugs and got your bent legs
you'll have a ball.
I second getting some daylight bright front and rear blnkies.
I'm partial to a flag as well. I've always had one.

Be aware of visibility issues when left of, or close behind vehicles. Because we are so low we can be invisible in those positions.

John

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:22 pm

yep agree with others comments, good find! I assume you know about the gears inside the rear hub?

The Hookworm tyres that are on it are very tough, unless the rubber is cracked or breaking away they'll last you for ages.

Look forward to hearing more about it!

cheers

glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

car7er

Postby car7er » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:36 am

zebee wrote:Looks like a decent bit of kit. Similar to a greenspeed in some ways.
Before I bought it, I found this magazine in PDF from 1998
http://www.ozhpv.org.au/HUFF/docs/huff8col.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They too said it was similar to the greenspeeds in a number of ways. They also gave it the thumb-sup as a bit better value for money if I remember right.
zebee wrote:You might want to pick up some be-seen flashing lights front and rear as in places without much traffic people really don't look as such.
It's on the list of things to make/buy/do :D
John Lewis wrote:Be aware of visibility issues when left of, or close behind vehicles
Thanks for the tip.
I'd been drooling over a recumbent for a couple of years. I've wanted to test ride one but without the cash, decided not to bother. I figured I'd be too tempted.
I've Watched a lot of youtube videos in those 2 years ;). Visibility seems to be something that everyone talks about. I'll be looking into flags and lights soon. Right now, I'm just riding bike paths as my house is just off a good set of tracks along a creek. I've never been a huge fan of riding on the road. See too many idots driving around here.
chuckchunder wrote:yep agree with others comments, good find! I assume you know about the gears inside the rear hub?
The person I bought it from told me about them. I had an inclining but didn't really understand it. Got a better idea now. I'm still getting use to the twist gears. 3 of them is a big leap up from mu old bikes
chuckchunder wrote: The Hookworm tyres that are on it are very tough, unless the rubber is cracked or breaking away they'll last you for ages.
Good to know. Not sure they're cracked... Faded and looking worse for wear. Not sure how much tread they have left on them. Still about match-head deep I think.
zebee wrote:Where are you? Might be other riders near you and going out in a group is always fun if only for the looks you get.
I'm in Canberra. Seen a few people getting around on them. Not sure I'd be able to make the distance in a group ride just yet. I took it out again this morning. Did the same distance as yesterday but nearly didn't make it back ;) My tired muscles had had enough after 6.2km's.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm pushing into the pedals too hard and wasting a lot of energy. If I remember not to do it, and start to relax 3/4's through at the top of the stroke, things are much nicer. It's the "remembering" part that I have trouble with. :mrgreen:

Thoroughly enjoying the bike already.

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:01 am

Are you using some kind of foot retention like "clipless pedals" or the old fashioned toe straps or heel straps?

Reason I ask is that keeping your foot on the pedal takes energy and muscle. Not a lot but it adds up.

If you don't want to spring for the full clipless (which is expensive unless you find shoes on special) you could try bodging something up like http://www.hobiecat.com.au/forums/viewt ... 82&t=39389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or https://tadpolerider2.wordpress.com/tag ... or-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600093.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) look for "heel strap" or "heel sling"

Or if you know any old school riders (or your local bike shop is more than a department store or a racing depot) you could see if you can score cheapish clips and straps. Or some kind of power strap like http://journal.goingslowly.com/2009/08/power-grips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Lots of websites talk about making your own pedal straps but they are all straight across the pedal and that's not as useful for 'bent riders. Power grips and their knockoffs are at an angle across the pedal so grip harder when you straighten your foot and hold you on the pedal better.

(check velogear.com.au who sometimes have cheap toestraps as in $7 a pair. You might be able to bodge heel slings with those)

One way to stop yourself mashing is to use lower gears. So deliberately stay in a gear where you have pedal resistance but not a lot. Note that one way foot retention helps is you can pull back as well as push forward, If you have your foot tied to the pedal you can concentrate on the pull, the push happens by itself, and you have a smoother more powerful pedal action.

max_torq

Postby max_torq » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi, I am in Canberra too, I hope to see you out and about some time on our trikes.

I ride mostly on the roads and shoulders because of the clearance problem and pedestrians, its not too bad with the cars here, but you need the flag and the flashing lights. If you are clipped in, you should be able to spin in low gear; to me it feels like winching with your legs. It's slow but this develops the trike muscles.

That looks like it could be a quick little machine, I like it.

car7er

Postby car7er » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:33 pm

car7er wrote:Are you using some kind of foot retention like "clipless pedals" or the old fashioned toe straps or heel straps?
The bike came with SPD pedal. I went and bought shoes the same day :).
car7er wrote:One way to stop yourself mashing is to use lower gears. So deliberately stay in a gear where you have pedal resistance but not a lot. Note that one way foot retention helps is you can pull back as well as push forward
Good tip about concentrating on the pull. Will keep that in mind tomorrow.
max_torq wrote:Hi, I am in Canberra too, I hope to see you out and about some time on our trikes.
What side of town are you in max_torq?

Appreciate all the tips and comments!

car7er

Postby car7er » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:33 pm

BTW...

Does a goatee count as a beard? ;)

max_torq

Postby max_torq » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:26 pm

car7er wrote:What side of town are you in max_torq
I am north side of the lake.. often commute to symonston.. and ride around the lake bike track etc. Happy to meet up if you are close enough.

car7er

Postby car7er » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm

max_torq wrote: I am north side of the lake
Cool. I'm in MacGregor. Currently riding around Ginnenderra Creek towards Jeer and the other way towards Latham.

When I've had a few weeks on it and maybe got some stamina up, I think it'd be good to meet up. Would love to have a look at what other recumbents are floating around. I also need to get myself a flag. Sorting out the lights over the next few days.

The other thing I've got to do is set the tow in/out on the front. Pretty sure the right side is towed out by at least 1cm. Left side seems even to the frame.