Anyone ridden in Okinawa?

BugsBunny

Anyone ridden in Okinawa?

Postby BugsBunny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Couple of my mates and I have booked a cheapy flight to Okinawa so wondering if anyone has tips on planning our route.

We arrive Thur around 11am and depart Sunday 12 noon. Our rough plan is:

Day 1 - Arrive Okinawa airport, unpack bike bags and leave them in the storage facilities until we depart. All our gear comes with us. Ride about 80km from the airport to Nago. Hotel booked.

Day 2 - We plan on doing *some* of the day 1 route from the Tour de Okinawa. One guy plans to do the full loop, whilst me and Willy will do some sort of out and back ride. Any ideas on where to ride / places to visit would be good. Willy and I plan to take it easy. Return to same hotel. http://www.tour-de-okinawa.jp/en/COURSE/cycling.html

Day 3 - Check out of hotel. Again a bit open but we plan on doing "some" of the day 2 route from the tour, but probably head over the eastern side of the island then finish up in Naha. Hotel booked in Naha.

Day 4 - Early morning check out and ride to airport.

Bugs

Trevtassie

Re: Anyone ridden in Okinawa?

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:40 pm

What time of year?, pretty hot there at the moment!

PA

Postby PA » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 pm

November 10th and 11th.

Looks like a interesting ride.
Mouse magnet

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Hey guys

We will be there 13-16th Sept - so it will be around 30 degrees. We are not officially doing the Tour de Okinawa but copying their route as inspiration for our own ride.

Bugs

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Will be a bit cooler then... and nice weather, providing a typhoon doesn't get you!

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Trev

You wouldn't believe this, but I strike gold with what looks like perfectly sunny weather in Okinawa and no typhoons there - BUT, we've got TWO typhoons in succession on the HK side. The first one's a bit of a wimp, so shouldn't affect my outbound flight but the second one is a super typhoon with wind speeds of 260km/h and that hits HK on the day I return. Alas, I've now needed to take an extra day of leave... so we'll go explore southern Naha. :D

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:56 am

We made it safely back to Hong Kong from Okinawa. We avoided the terrible typhoon which swept through HK mainly on the Sunday and kudos to the airport authority and airlines for getting all 500+ cancelled flights back on track. We were able to call up the airline (yes get through on phone) and they patiently helped us reschedule our return flight on Monday.

Anyways, Okinawa is nothing like the mainland of Japan in terms of mountainous scenery but what it lacks in that it makes up for in beautiful coastline cycling routes and awesome beaches.