Custom Built Cycles (CBC) twin tube road bike 1980

Macclesfield

Custom Built Cycles (CBC) twin tube road bike 1980

Postby Macclesfield » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 pm

I recently picked up a Custom Built Cycles (CBC) twin tube road bike from a garage sale. It's a 1980 model. I've fixed it up a little the first picture is how it looked originally. I've searched everywhere and I can't find one like it, can anyone help with information about it? Thanks

cray-

Re: Custom Built Cycles (CBC) twin tube road bike 1980

Postby cray- » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm

"Custom Built" in name & decals only I'm afraid. Looks like a pretty run of the mill, mass produced mixte to me. Back in the '80s many bike shops would buy generic bikes made here in Aus or Asia and put shop decals or generic decals onto them. Nothing special about this that I can see, probably more suited to the Retro forum than Dragsters/Lowriders/Cruisers. Quite a few examples in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's cleaned up alright, ride it and enjoy it or fob it off to some hipster kid for as much as you can get for it.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:53 pm

+1 -cray said it well.

It's no delicate, precious orchid... but still a serviceable, presentable and rideable example. You've done it well by cleaning it up.

You soon learn that anything with a sticker that exclaims "Custom Built" is anything but that. It's a bit like putting racing stripes on a Hyundai. It'll still do the job, but it's no more special.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:08 pm

cray- wrote: It's cleaned up alright, ride it and enjoy it or fob it off to some hipster kid for as much as you can get for it.
Looks like he took your advice.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CBC-Custom-B ... 15d&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$50 would be more realistic.

Macclesfield

Postby Macclesfield » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi thanks for the info, I had it on eBay before I read these. I new it wasn't custom built but I thought it would be worth a bit because the twin tubing.

jreid8

Postby jreid8 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:30 pm

Hello,

I just joined this forum today as I am about to do some long distance touring with children and thought I would get some ideas from those who have pedalled that track before.

While searching custom built bikes, I happened upon this thread and may be able to add a little interesting insight.

A few years ago to help keep my 90 year old father on two wheels I bought a circa 1970 tandem from the son of an elderly couple.

The bike had been gathering dust and rust for some years, but it seemed a fairly simple fixer upper for what I needed. When I enquired as to the bikes history the chap told me his mother had an illness that prevented her from riding solo so his father apparently had the bike purpose built to enable his mother to join them on family rides.

The bike was apparently fabricated by a friend of his fathers in Adelaide who had received a Gov't grant to establish a new local manufacturing industry, and was building relatively low cost European style bikes to customer specs. The bike was (and still is) branded "Custom Built T for Two" by CBC (Custom Built Cycles) - Adelaide South Australia.

The bike carries the "Operation Boomerang" Australian Made Logo, and a lifetime frame guarantee for the original purchaser....something that outlived the manufacturer....

Some of the welding around the bottom brackets isn't too pretty, and things like the pump brackets look like they were a quick and dirty after thought, but the frame is still fairly sound so has lasted quite well.

Here are a couple of images for anyone interested.....

Now back to touring research.....
Cheers
JR

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:03 am

Probably way too late for a reply, but I just came across this post & I have to say, what a great story! For this bike to be used not once but twice to enable older family members to keep enjoying riding is great!
Good stuff JR! ( hope the tour with the kids went well!)