Lemond Trainer

grumpymongrel

Lemond Trainer

Postby grumpymongrel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi can anyone tell me if you can fit a 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed Lemond, and how

macca33

Re: Lemond Trainer

Postby macca33 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:50 am

I believe Shane miller had the rear of the cassette machined to allow it to be fitted to a 10-speed Lemond freehub - he may have a youtube of the process on his channel.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

eeksll

Re: Lemond Trainer

Postby eeksll » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:26 pm

if you have a dedicated bike for the trainer, you can just use a 11 speed cassette and remove the smallest 11 tooth cog, add a spacer or two on the other side so you can tighten the lockring down.

I use a spare 10 speed wheel on my trainer, my bike is 11 speed. In order to be able to do this without messing with the cable tension I put the right amount of spacers on the back of the cassette so the index points are at the right spot.

For me this worked out pretty perfectly to 2 spacers I had. My fallback option was to use a plastic spacer from an old cassette and just sand it down on a flat surface to get the right spacing. Due to spacing it out, I only get to use 9 of the 10 gears, the 12 tooth isnt actually biting on any spline.

I also installed a dork disk on the wheel. Not sure how you would do this on the trainer or if its necessary.