The end of women's cycling?

biker jk

The end of women's cycling?

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Calvin27

Re: The end of women's cycling?

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:36 pm

This is not the end to women's cycling. It's something else all together.

basically on other threads the main options are:
1. No 'divisions' - free for all
2. More divisions, everyone is a winner
3. No divisions + all out drug and substance use permitted
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 am

Not the end of women's cycling but makes the whole thing a bit of a joke really. I feel for the legit female competitors......

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:49 am

Renée Richards in 1977 was not the end of women's tennis, Caster Semenya was not the end of women's athletics and Rachel McKinnon will not be the end of women's cycling.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:Renée Richards in 1977 was not the end of women's tennis, Caster Semenya was not the end of women's athletics and Rachel McKinnon will not be the end of women's cycling.
Why did the IAAF change the rules with regard to some women with high naturally occurring testosterone levels? Perhaps because Semenya was killing women's running?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:42 pm

biker jk wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Renée Richards in 1977 was not the end of women's tennis, Caster Semenya was not the end of women's athletics and Rachel McKinnon will not be the end of women's cycling.
Why did the IAAF change the rules with regard to some women with high naturally occurring testosterone levels? Perhaps because Semenya was killing women's running?
Because any competitive advantage comes from androgens especially testosterone, not from notions of gender
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm

find_bruce wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Because any competitive advantage comes from androgens especially testosterone, not from notions of gender
So RIP biology.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:47 pm

biker jk wrote:Why did the IAAF change the rules with regard to some women with high naturally occurring testosterone levels?
Thirty seconds with your favourite search engine and ten minutes of reading would have answered that question.

e.g. The Debate About Caster Semenya Isn't About Fairness Diana Moskovitz, Deadspin or this one on Slate or this one on outsideline

Beyond the vexed question of having demonstrably flawed political animals like the IAAC or IOC being allowed to define "womanhood", especially given that all elite athletes are genetic anomalies, there's one key takeaway:
Diana Moskovitz wrote: What do you mean I’m not a woman? Everyone treats me like one.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Possibly controversial though. How about the UCI just comes out and says "males who have a gender change after 2020 will not be allowed to compete in womens cycling".

It doesn't mean they can't get the change. It doesn't mean they can't ride their bike. It just means they can't compete. It's probably a bit harsh but if you put it out there then people know that up front. There are enough barriers to womens cycling without spending a lifetime trying to get there and then having this potentially happen.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:54 pm

from what I have read it's not the current level of testosterone in their bodies but the makeup of the muscle fibers they built when they were previously male. I don't believe hormone therapy affects this when they transition.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:13 pm

tallywhacker wrote:from what I have read it's not the current level of testosterone in their bodies but the makeup of the muscle fibers they built when they were previously male. I don't believe hormone therapy affects this when they transition.
It's muscular-skeletal differences, lung capacity, haemoglobin AND trans women are permitted three times the testosterone of biological women. A total farce.