Exposure Lights - Maxx-D Mk.4

Lukeyboy

Exposure Lights - Maxx-D Mk.4

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:51 am

Name of product
Exposure Lights - Maxx-D Mk.4 2012

Where bought and price
Trail Mix (Victoria - http://www.trailmix.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) - Light $390/Remote $40

How it is used
At night, early morning, on road/off road, commuter, racing, pretty much anything involving the use of a bike light.

Description
Weight (including bracket): 337g
Output: 1285 lumens
Power: 10400 mAh Lithium Ion battery
Burn time: High (3 hrs) Medium (10 hrs) Low (24 hrs)
Modes: High, Medium, Low, Flash
When you buy the light you get a softbox, a manual/product guide/product decals-stickers, 2 chargers (1x usb/1x powerpoint), 1 quick release mount (includes different size bar mounts) and 1 cleat.

When purchased it comes in a nice softbox where the mounts and chargers can be stored for transportation or storage when not in use.

Although when I got mine the zip had broken off. I don't really care about that. The light is what's important!

It attaches to the handelbars utilising a mount and a quick release system that is used by pulling up/down (depending on how you mount the light to the handlebars). If you race or do any charity rides be careful where and how you mount the boards/cables and anything else to the handlebars as it has the potential to not lock correctly and pop the light off. In saying that when I got it I had to pop the quick release up using a screwdriver as I struggled using my hands. Even when I did that the mount stayed attached and wouldn't come off the rail. Since it was brand new it need to be used a few times to losen things up.

It comes with a series of different spacers on the mount depending on the size of your handlebars without the need to buy different mounts. For road bike handlebars it will fit without the need for any spacers but it will damage the bars so use the rubber attachment that it comes with to prevent it.

Its very easy to mount and set up if you'd like it dead straight and not able to move but it can be very fiddly to set up in terms of how you would like to swivle to the left and right (I got mine setup on the second go so its still easy). Too lose and the light can move around on rough and bumpy surfaces/accidental hand/arm movements. Too tight and it won't swivle at all. Its basically user perference. Its fine having it dead straight but its also good being able to turn it to the left/right around slow long corners and turning it slightly as not to blind oncoming riders/pedestrians. Some swivel to the left and right.

Some issues can arise if you have other attachments on your handlebars such as GPS, video camera mounts and the sizes of accessories. I use the kEdge GoPro and Garmin mounts but was still able to fit the light on.

The only issue I have is that some of the light happens to fall on the corner of the Garmin 800 GPS unit because of its size/positioning but its only a very small amount and isn't noticable to the visual spread on the ground or the GPS unit itself. Smaller sized GPS units like the Garmin 200/500 are small enough that the light doesn't land on it that much.

There are addition accessories such as battery packs, mounts and remotes. Due to it only having one port a battery pack and remote can't be used together at the same time. One accessory that should be purchased is the remote switch. Instead of taking your hand off the handlebar to switch brightness modes on the back of the light you can just click a button and it changes. It can also be turned on and off using the remote. The only thing that it doesn't have going for it is the length of the cable which somewhat limits its placement on road bikes. However on mountain bikes its a great length as there's no slack in the cable to get caught up on anything. The valcro strap could be longer and then cut to size by the user depending on the riders bike and setup.

Video - Uploading.

Positives
+ Heat: When stationary with the light on high beam the unit can heat up a little bit but as long as you're moving and generating airflow you wouldn't even have known the light had been on high beam for the last 2 hours if you went to touch it.
+ Sideway swivel: Very good for adjusting the light for those long slow corners and passing pedestrians/riders.
+ Spread: Good enough that the brake leavers can cast their own shadows.

Negatives
- Size: Its a bit bulky but its brightness makes up for it.
- Visual battery life: The amount of charge left can be difficult to spot from the light on the back. Something along the top would have been better to see while riding without focusing on the function button to see what colour it is.
- Price: Its abit expensive for a light but its ability and brightness make up for it.

Additional notes
The 2013 edition (Mk5) is yet to be in stock but it will 25% brighter than this version :shock:

Reccomendation
I would reccomend it. Its a bit pricy but there are other options for those on a budget such as the Diablo/Toro/Strada/Race models. It's not as bright but its cheaper. If its in your budget go for it. Alot of lights are fixed but being able to turn the light left/right and have it stay locked in that position is a fantastic feature. Combined with the remote accessory its well worth the price.

OVERALL SCORES

Quality ImageImageImage

Performance ImageImageImage

Value for money ImageImage