Best way to boost iron levels

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nitram

Best way to boost iron levels

Postby Nitram » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 am

My blood tests come back with low-ish iron, and the Dr said to take iron tablets. Last time I did that I ended up with severe constipation :shock: which is something I struggle a bit with at the best of times, particularly when I'm riding a fair bit.
Any suggestions as to get the iron levels up without this side effect ?
Ta
Nitram

Nobody

Re: Best way to boost iron levels

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:51 am

Nitram wrote:My blood tests come back with low-ish iron, and the Dr said to take iron tablets. Last time I did that I ended up with severe constipation :shock: which is something I struggle a bit with at the best of times, particularly when I'm riding a fair bit.
Ta
Nitram
Could you post you iron studies results? Or do you remember what the numbers were? Were any of your red blood cell markers low? The reason I ask is that what the medical industry flags as low can be different to what the science says is low. Higher iron levels carry a higher cancer risk, so it's a good idea to be careful about the level of supplementation.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am

Nobody wrote:
Nitram wrote:My blood tests come back with low-ish iron, and the Dr said to take iron tablets. Last time I did that I ended up with severe constipation :shock: which is something I struggle a bit with at the best of times, particularly when I'm riding a fair bit.
Ta
Nitram
Could you post you iron studies results? Or do you remember what the numbers were? Were any of your red blood cell markers low? The reason I ask is that what the medical industry flags as low can be different to what the science says is low.
Definitely. If your blood profile is normal and your iron studies are low normal then no amount of iron supplements will increase the numbers.

If you are iron-deficient then that's a completely different matter.

The bigger issue is what is your end-point? Do you want to have a better test result? :D
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 am

Nitram wrote:My blood tests come back with low-ish iron, and the Dr said to take iron tablets. Last time I did that I ended up with severe constipation :shock:
A friend who is a GP said he always prescribes a mild laxative whenever he prescribes iron tablets, for this exact reason.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Mububban wrote:A friend who is a GP said he always prescribes a mild laxative whenever he prescribes iron tablets, for this exact reason.
Not necessary if you use the gluconate preparation.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Eat a lot of steak & mushrooms :)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Cook with a cast iron pan. And cook that steak & mushrooms in said cast iron