Anyone ride a fatbike.

Mugglechops

Re: Anyone ride a fatbike.

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:00 pm

eldavo wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Global Fatbike Day was last Saturday. We did our part at Sussex Inlet
Nice photos and turnout, is the white On-One Fatty rider on BNA? I wanted to ask about the smaller frame bag (since my other larger ones don't fit) and the carbon fork.
No he is not. What do you want to know? I know the bag came from here

And the fork is the on-one carbon one.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks for the bags link, the fluoro orange ticks the box with the graphics and white frame.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:08 pm

cray- wrote:
eldavo wrote:I saw a Mongoose Beast at Malaga Cycles, the steel single speed accessible one-sized frame in one emerald green colour. $469 sticker price with 'can do you a deal' tempter.
I thought of calling Cray right away :) We're talking the U$169-200 Walmart bike that is understandably landing double the price here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKHaR8JUEg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Couple months late on the uptake, but yeah looks like they're finally bringing them in officially. 5x showing in WA on bikeexchange: http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/-/-/WA ... se%20beast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't pay more than $250 though, bugger that Australia Tax.

*EDIT*. AAaaaahhh just figured it out, the 2015 Aus model has an $279 front disc brake fitted. That assplains it. :shock:
If this beast is the same as the Walmart one could you not instead by the big a blue version for just over $200
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:32 pm

bychosis wrote:
cray- wrote:
eldavo wrote:I saw a Mongoose Beast at Malaga Cycles, the steel single speed accessible one-sized frame in one emerald green colour. $469 sticker price with 'can do you a deal' tempter.
I thought of calling Cray right away :) We're talking the U$169-200 Walmart bike that is understandably landing double the price here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKHaR8JUEg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Couple months late on the uptake, but yeah looks like they're finally bringing them in officially. 5x showing in WA on bikeexchange: http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/-/-/WA ... se%20beast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't pay more than $250 though, bugger that Australia Tax.

*EDIT*. AAaaaahhh just figured it out, the 2015 Aus model has an $279 front disc brake fitted. That assplains it. :shock:
If this beast is the same as the Walmart one could you not instead by the big a blue version for just over $200
There's a Big Dubya Fatty? Damn, off the forum for a few months and I miss out on all the news. Off to check the BigW thread now.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:46 pm

I didn't know it made it via BigW. Found it here...
http://www.bigwchristmas.com.au/product ... tyre-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beaches will never be the same from this Xmas!

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Yep, looks like it came out of the same Chinese factory, just different stickers. Not gonna drop $300 on one, done some more research on the original Walmart Mongoose Beast and have re-evaluated my entry price point. Hopefully they ordered huge stocks, they don't sell and they clear 'em out for cheap like the Single Speeds.

Couple other throw away fat tire abominations from Walmart:

26in Mongoose Dolomite Men's 7-speed All-Terrain Fat Tire Mountain Bike, Navy Blue/Red

20in Mongoose Massif Boys' All-Terrain Fat Tire Mountain Bike, Black/Yellow

20in Mongoose BMaX All-Terrain Fat Tire Mountain Bike, Black/Gray

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:30 pm

Seeking advice on frame sizing. I currently have a Giant XTC 2 which is a large frame (chart below) and was playing around with Salsa Mukluk geometry chart this morning and it seems that my Giant XTC 2 falls between their medium and large frames. I also tried using Sheldon Brown (RIP) revisionist theory of bicycle sizing but that gives much the same result.

(1) Are 26" MTB frame sizes a good basis for working out a fatbike frame size?
(2) Assuming yes should I go larger or smaller?

The bike will be used mainly for fatbike loaded touring and also at times fitted out with 29er wheel set for more dirt road/black top touring so I am thinking being able to maybe stretch out (will be using Jones H-Bar Loop bars) would be helpful.

Thoughts?
Andrew

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:24 pm

I would tend to size down. Go the medium with the 605 top tube. Especially given the substantially slacker Salsa head angle...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:28 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:I would tend to size down. Go the medium with the 605 top tube. Especially given the substantially slacker Salsa head angle...
Thanks. I should look into this but what is the effect of the slacker head tube angle?

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 am

18" Surly Puglsey on eBay for $2,500. Seller claims basically new bike.

Andrew

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:I would tend to size down. Go the medium with the 605 top tube. Especially given the substantially slacker Salsa head angle...
Thanks. I should look into this but what is the effect of the slacker head tube angle?

Andrew
Means the wheelbase should be similar to your XTC despite the shorter top tube. Impact is that it won't be as sharp a handler but it will descend with less sketchiness...all good things.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:06 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Means the wheelbase should be similar to your XTC despite the shorter top tube. Impact is that it won't be as sharp a handler but it will descend with less sketchiness...all good things.
Thanks ...

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I know the bag came from here
Due to my small 16" frame there wasn't enough room there to justify the expense I decided.
I remembered I had these new unused from a motorcycle years ago. I cable tied them into position, tested with 2 x 500g muesli tins in each side of about same shape/size to fill it out for clearance test. Seems like they would fit a 2L bladder in each side plus some room, but I decided to stick to bottles to use across bikes rather than bladders so I have more cages for other bikes and 1L bottles ordered. One side also has an external bottle compartment
I used a couple of bungee hooks to compress them, stop any movement, and allowed me to hold dirtier stuff like banana peel and sandy socks on the outside. Pics in use here:
http://s16.photobucket.com/user/tillis/ ... 20Hillarys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dual-Sport Tank Panniers
Durable black saddlebags keep your gear close at hand in 2 zippered compartments
Simple to install. Unscrew the gas cap, drop the bag into place, screw cap back on
Insulated exterior pocket holds a 1-liter water bottle
Mesh pocket inside tucks away wallets and keys
600D polyester pack cloth is coated for water resistance
Equipped with storm flaps and deluxe zipper pulls
Fits most Motorcycles and ATVs
Includes optional Velcro type fasteners to secure bag to sides of gas tank
Also works nicely as small saddlebags

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:45 am

No mention of Rohloff XL 170mm in this thread...

http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speed ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Hey anyone know where I can hire a fat bike for a day?

I'm keen on buying one and have my eye on BD bullseye monster which will set me back under $800 here. But every time I look at it I get spec crazy and end up with a higher spec model - then I may as well buy the bigfoot. So it's clear there is no way out and I just need to ride one. I'm planning to just use it as my recreation bike - mostly when riding with a very slow group (wife for example).

So anywhere I can hire these to try out in Melbourne? I'm not keen on the borrow arrangements from lbs - they tend to get pushy.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Salted Bikes

Andrew

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:53 pm

I too am very curious about Fatbikes.

Did some googling and fishing thru the thread(s), but still have a couple of questions.

How do fatbikes go on the road? Slower (cf a roadie) I'm sure, but are they incredibly cumbersome and unwieldy on the road or entirely pleasant to ride?

On the beach, could you do a 20km ride easy or would that utterly destroy you. (pls give an answer for both soft and wet sands)

Kids on fatbikes. Good idea or are they better off sticking to a more conventional (roadie, MTB, BMX) offering until they get stronger/more skilled.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:26 pm

1. Yes. They'll go anywhere you can pedal and with some aplomb, just don't expect speed!
2. Yes. Provided you can manage 20 kms on an MTB in the first place. Soft sand will slow you down somewhat. Wet packed sand is akin to a gravel path.
3. Kids can go fat without a fat bike as most 20" bmx will take a wide tyre anyway. Few fat bikes are sized for children...

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Cheers. Exactly the info I wanted.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:26 pm

I rode my Fattie to work on ride to work day. I got there the same time as everyone on road bikes. I was pretty stuffed though.

Riding in really soft sand will destroy you. 5kms like in the photo had me at close to max heart rate at about 5kmh.

Bike is actually standing up on it's own.

Riding at low tide I was doing 30kmh no handed easily.

I am buying my son a Fatbike. He is only 2 days old at the moment but he is getting one :D

Rocksicles

Postby Rocksicles » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Hey guys, i was considering getting the On-One Fatty for a bit of commute/street fun.
But i noticed on their site, they have a fatty version of the front suspension Parkwood frame.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOFT/on-o ... rail-frame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But i can't find any info on it. Not much on the site, they seem to have a lot in stock.

Any ideas?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 am

Rocksicles wrote:Hey guys, i was considering getting the On-One Fatty for a bit of commute/street fun.
But i noticed on their site, they have a fatty version of the front suspension Parkwood frame.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOFT/on-o ... rail-frame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But i can't find any info on it. Not much on the site, they seem to have a lot in stock.

Any ideas?

Basically it'll be a smidge longer and little slacker than the Fatty - mostly in the top tube it seems. It 'might' need a taller than usual fork too but I suspect you could pair it with the Fatty fork if you want to (and get the right adapter headset). Otherwise...throw a Bluto suspension fork under it...

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I am buying my son a Fatbike. He is only 2 days old at the moment but he is getting one :D
Congrats on the new son. I bought my (ahem, his) first fat bike for father/son time when he was born, he's 3yo now though, and I've upgraded his bike and got one for myself to join him.
Funny looking back and seeing the neglected dogs with 70's long hair styles compared to now.

So I've got my first proper MTB and it is a fat bike so I missed the whole last 30 years of original MTB. Ignoring my first bought bike a 1996 Giant Iguana SE hardtail I used on-road with knobbies.
Not my build, new to me, but I wouldn't have spent/spec'd better myself. I just elevated the bars/seat and now swapped the flat pedal for XT sealed Click'R pedals. I've used it so much picking up double-gees (caltrops) the rear tubeless is flat, so just bought more of the Bontrager TLR sealant in small bottles, and will be buying the big bottle as soon as someone local re-stocks it.
I've used it to seek out local climbs to test traction, and have found use for the 22/42 gearing and Nate rear at 3psi, it's like discovering a whole new world of riding all over again.

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/tillis/ ... each/story

My favourite bit of the video is the 25m30s mark of "nigh-nighs" when it goes to sleep and the music starts :)
https://youtu.be/7RQnf5yFtaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: Thanks to Aushiker for being a Mukluk wavelength and finding it on ebay sharing it to the facebook fat-bike group. Destiny for the win :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks Eldavo. That's a nice looking Mukluk.

xx68

Postby xx68 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:23 pm

I have entered the world of the fat bike , it makes me giggle like a child , test rode by splashing through puddles , jumping off kerbs , wheelying and generally speeding about in the rain !
So , it's home now and will do a 'proper ride ' when the weather is a bit better - don't want to get my new toy dirty .....