Cycling = Money as a way to make people listen?

opik_bidin

Cycling = Money as a way to make people listen?

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Came across several articles of how bicycle industry (either production or tourism) can revive the economy of a country or small towns:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... y-strategy
the UK cycle industry is no pipsqueak: it is actually worth three times more than the UK steel industry, and employs twice as many people.Cycling-related businesses generate at least £5.4bn for the UK economy each year, and they sustain 64,000 jobs – some in bike shops, but most in cycle tourism of one sort or the other.
https://www.bicycling.com/rides/a226520 ... n-america/

When the Dirty Kanza gravel race began in Emporia, Kansas, in 2006, with 34 participants, it departed from a hotel parking lot with little fanfare and almost no knowledge from townspeople that it was even going on. Now, it’s grown exponentially—1,000 participants signed up for the 200-mile race this year, with an additional 1,350 people riding the 25, 50, 100, and 350-mile versions of the ride. That growth has been a huge boon for Emporia. The racers who stay in town spend money on hotels, food, gas, and last-minute ride supplies and repairs. “We have merchants that tell us Dirty Kanza weekend is worth more to them than Christmas,” says Jim Cummins, race director and founder of the event. The total economic benefit for the area? Nearly 2.2 million dollars, says Susan Rathke, Executive Director of the Emporia Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Small towns and gravel events go well together. After all, the things that draw riders to a gravel ride or race—quiet roads with few cars, and natural scenery—are usually found outside of major metropolises.

Scott TenCate organizes the Barry-Roubaix gravel road race in Hastings, Michigan. He says that residents were initially skeptical about the benefit of the race. Several people in the town of 7,000 complained that it made it tough to get from one side of town to another. But with focused community outreach—and some firsthand experience with what the race did for local businesses financially, including one local five and dime that did four months’ worth of business on race day—the overall attitude changed. Now, it’s a staple community event that involves many of the volunteer groups in town, and brings in up to $750,000 to the surrounding community, TenCate says. Plus, locals were impressed with the attitudes of the cyclists they encountered. “Obviously, when you’re a part of the cycling community you know how great it is,” TenCate says. “But when you heard outsiders talking about how good cyclists are and how polite, and kind, and generous...that was cool to hear.”

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2018/ ... economies/

That impact goes both ways. According to a 2014 study by the University of Montana, cycling tourism has a substantial impact on the state.

The study, conducted by the University of Montana Institute for Tourism and Recreation Research looked at the effect of bicycle tourism statewide. It found that the industry contributed nearly $377 million annually to Montana’s economy. Of the nearly half million bicycle tourists who visited the state, the average cyclist spent around $75 a day and stayed for at least a week.

For rural communities, that kind of expenditure can greatly increase viability, and towns are learning how to capitalize on it. A hundred and fifty miles south of Ovando, another small Montana town shows up on cycling maps, at the intersection of the Lewis & Clark and the TransAmerica Trails.

After spending two years watching cyclists passing through, resident Bill White decided the time and need was right to do something to engage the Lycra-clad tourists. “All the bike riders passing through were like gold going by in a river,” he said in an interview for Montana Quarterly. “I started thinking about how to make Twin Bridges more than just a place to get a cup of coffee.”

White developed a proposal for Bike Camp, got a building permit, and raised $9,000 for materials. The town broke ground in April of 2009 and the camp was ready by June.

In the first year, around 300 riders used the camp. White said that by July of the second year, the number of visitors was already up by more than 50.

Those early cyclists left feedback for Twin Bridges (and enough donations to cover the cost of building Bike Camp), and the town found that the average expenditure per night per visitor was $24.92. In a small community like Twin Bridges, the economy is a closed loop, amplifying any expenditures. Overall it was determined that the cyclists brought at least $10,000 into the local economy

That figure is lower than the UM study estimate, but regardless, “it’s good for the local economy,” White said. “Especially the grocery store, the ice cream shop, the restaurant, and the laundromats.”

It’s personal interactions and community attitudes like those in Twin Bridges and Ovando, more than any university study, that excite proponents of cycling tourism. “There’s increasingly more stories coming out about how bike touring and bike travel can benefit rural communities,” said Laura Crawford of Missoula-based Adventure Cycling. “There’s maybe not an attraction that would pull people off the freeway, but if you’re going through by bike, you kind of rely on those communities as a place to stop for the night, stock up on food or grab coffee.”
And ofc, we have the success story of TAS

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-26/ ... by/9276384
Inside, locals who work in the logging industry sit beneath photos of mountain bikers riding through fern filled forests. Tourism operators come in for dinner and to sip craft beers that some locals describe as "newfangled grog". People who are known as the local greenies also come in. No-one is screaming in anyone's face about forestry.

This is the new Derby. The people living here have discovered a new way of negotiating the forest debate in Tasmania. They seem to have found the peaceful solution decades of political fighting couldn't bring.
and then we have this :
https://thediplomat.com/2016/04/the-pro ... -industry/
Last week, Arrium, one of the two dominant steel manufacturers in Australia went into voluntary administration with debts of over $AU 3 billion ($US 2.3 billion).
With the failing of the company having the potential to affect up to 8,000 jobs nationwide, there have been calls for the federal government to bail out Arrium. The opposition Labor Party wants to instigate a national steel plan to try and prevent future occurrences of this nature.

The most significant impact would be on the state of South Australia, where the company employs 3,000 people. This is further concentrated in the city of Whyalla, where almost one in five people are directly employed in the metal manufacturing industry
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... bbb399f89b
Many of the state’s smallest towns are slowly dying.
Villages and hamlets dotted across NSW are shedding people who are moving to larger regional centres to be closer to better health, education and transport facilities.

Towns like Wagga Wagga and Dubbo have been described as “sponge cities” by demographer Bernard Salt, because they soak up people from nearby dwindling smaller towns.
https://junctionjournalism.com/2018/08/ ... own-dying/
“Ardlethan is an ageing population,” Pauline says. “We’ve got a lot of older people here. It’s going to die. It’ll be here but it’ll die. There’s nothing for people to come here. There’s no jobs. And what jobs there are, people will stay in them forever. So, the kids have to go away to get a job.”

Ardlethan – population 350 – is symptomatic of many similar-sized towns that, one day, might cease to exist as Australians who were born in the country are increasingly gravitating to the major cities.
[shareyoutube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uh_sEUs374[/shareyoutube]

Can we get a more positive message of cycling as an industry, either manufacturing and tourism? Reviving the dead industry, reviving small towns, and showing a more environmentally friendly activity that brings much more money and also spread it across australia (no, no mining and land clearing required), not just concentrated on the big cities.

As many people here are so crazy int sports that it becomes a lifestyle, I'm sure many will love touring australia or visit these dying towns if it can be proven to be safe for cycling, especially gravel roads doesn't need to be maintained that much (if at all).

Somehow, I think if it's about money, reviving small towns, and economic/environmental impact, I think people would start to change their minds.

human909

Re: Cycling = Money as a way to make people listen?

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Forrest, Vic and Bright Vic have embraced cycling as big money earners.

But I don't see how cycle tourism in small towns will change the landscape in urban centres. It won't stop the haters. It won't make bad drivers into considerate ones and it won't change the infrastructure planning.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:55 am

I saw this on FaceBook, from the Brisbane Valley Railtrail Users page. It's a letter to a NSW paper in response to an earlier letter complaining about cyclists.

Sir, – Col Locke’s letter of October 19, mocking efforts to promote the idea of a rail trail from Tumut to Batlow with yellow bicycles, betrays his ignorance of the opportunities a rail trail can bring to the area.

This Sunday, my family and I will ride bikes along part of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail in Queensland. We are hiring bikes from and using the shuttle service of Out There Cycling, a small business made possible by the rail trail.

We will eat lunch at one of the cafes along the trail that are thriving thanks to the trail. On the trail, we hope to encounter the clydesdale drawn wagon of Heartland Heavy Horses, another tour operator which has recently opened as a result of the trail.

The following Saturday, I and 160 other cyclists will ride from Yarraman to Toogoolawah.

A local transport company and bus charter company have been engaged to ferry our bikes to the start line and the cafes and pubs along the route will be bursting at the seams with hungry and thirsty patrons.

I enjoyed a similar event in July, when over 200 cyclists enjoyed the full length of the trail over three days, putting thousands of dollars into the tills of the local businesses along the way.

One need only look at the Facebook page of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail Users Association to see how frequently and enthusiastically the trail is used and how the local communities have benefited from this healthy and environmentally friendly activity.

As a representative of the Gilmore Progress Association and other community groups, Mr Locke should encourage the productive use of public land for the community’s economic, health, and social benefit.

Yours etc,

Michael Healy

Online version is at: https://www.tatimes.com.au/rail-trails- ... Fz9uPJeTVw

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:40 pm

human909 wrote:Forrest, Vic and Bright Vic have embraced cycling as big money earners.

But I don't see how cycle tourism in small towns will change the landscape in urban centres. It won't stop the haters. It won't make bad drivers into considerate ones and it won't change the infrastructure planning.
Yes, but we fight the battles we can win, and change the tide of the war little by little. I'll be making cycling-urban-cars next if I could. But one by one, and win them.

As we are talking about it, here is the Tumut-Batlow FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/tumutbatlowrailtrail/

about NSW premier
Well folks, what an incredible evening in Albury tonight where I met with the NSW Premier the Hon. Gladys Berejikiln. It was a Liberal party meet and great and a bit like speed dating, but I managed to have three conversations about The Tumut-batlow Rail Trail and the Brindabella Road Upgrade committees work in supporting Snowy Valleys Council and our groups advocacy role.

The Premier in her speech specifically mentioned Rail Trails, pointing out that she was responsible for the funding of the first Rail Trail on Government owned land in NSW, Tumbarumba-Rosewood Pilot rail trail which is currently under construction.

She is a very impressive lady, spoke beautifully from the heart, and had all of our attention. With our conversations being private "one on one" I respectfully cannot divulge the content, but rest assured the Tumut-Batlow Rail Trail was showcased tonight like never before; the Premier is very aware of our committiees efforts.

I explained to the Premier our "yellow bike promotion, in particular our Mascot "McLaren" the little yellow bike that just happened to be in front of my vehicle at the front door of the Albury venue (I got there an hour early to get a prime spot to grab the Premiers attention).

Remarkably after hearing of the two young Tumut girls who donated their bikes to the rail trail cause, the Premier agreed to go outside for a photo shoot so I could send it to the two girls and post the story on Facebook; what a wonderful gesture on the Premiers part.
http://www.armidaleregional.nsw.gov.au/ ... ITRcFrw-4g

The report estimated the full Armidale to Glen Innes trail would cost $24 million, including around $13 million for the section within the Armidale Region, and based on conservative projections could generate $4.5 million each year in tourism and local patronage.

A Ben Lomond to Black Mountain trail was estimated to cost $6.5 million and inject about $1.2 million into the local economy annually.

“While further steps must be taken before Council could fully commit to establishing the rail trail, investigations so far indicate the project would be a great way to utilise a corridor that has sat unused and idle for approximately three decades,” Councillor Murray said.

“It’s important to note this is not a choice between trains or a rail trail. In the approximately 30 years since rail services operated in the corridor, there has been no viable proposition to restore rail operations on that line and the State Government has firmly indicated it was highly unlikely any train services would be viable in the foreseeable future.”
and a comment from fellow NSW human
Ross Mayberry
This is good news. Here in Mudgee we have trying to get a foot in the door for a 92k Rail Trail from Kandos to Gulgong. We are fortunate that our area is already a popular destination for travellers and we have existing infrastructure. This can only increase and landholders along the way will really benefit selling farm produce and providing accomodation.
#nswgovernment #mudgeeregion

Gavin Jeffries
Apparently cycling events can draw a few people to towns to ride their bikes, spend money in local shops and contribute to a Shire’s economy

So today in Bowral, 3,000 riders brought themselves, their bikes, their families and their mates to ride, have fun and spend money. If just the riders spent $100 locally for the weekend, that’s $300,000 to local businesses

In reality, the multipliers are more likely 6,000 people and $200 ...

I say “go hard, yellow bikes”. May you encourage the wheels to spin in the Snowy Mountains, to increase visitation and contribute to the prosperity of small business in wonderful towns such as Tumut and Batlow

https://www.facebook.com/11363841868211 ... 320041139/
We need more positive messages and positive impacts. And if we already have undeniable proof that something similar works around the world, we can push this.

and...let's help each other. don't see mtb trail as not my job, but see it as a fellow bike rider and helping the small towns and dying industry.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:25 pm

A good example is....
The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa
https://ragbrai.com/
If done well it can become very big buz and promotion for small towns while being a solid community event.
So big they need a.....
Lottery

RAGBRAI is limited to approximately 8,500 week-long riders and 1,500 day riders. Entries can exceed the number of riders allowed, so a random computer lottery takes place after all of the entries are entered in the computer. You must register and provide payment in order to be considered for the lottery. Just because your check is cashed or your credit card is charged does not mean you were selected in the lottery. If not selected, you will receive a full refund in the form of a check.

RAGBRAI had too many entries over the past few years and has had to turn away riders in the lottery. The odds of getting in the lottery are very high, but certainly not 100%. Entries that miss the deadline will not be entered into the lottery.

The computer lottery can select individuals or groups of more than one person, so that people who wish to participate together are not split up. In order to be considered in the lottery as a group, the members of a group must register as a group, and appoint one person to be the GROUP CONTACT. That person accepting is responsible for sending one payment to cover all costs of the group, registering vehicles if desired, taking delivery of the group’s Participant Packet in June, and distributing the participants’ credentials and merchandise.

For week-long riders it is not on a first-come, first-served basis. Everyone who completes registration process between November 15 and April 1 will be included in the lottery. Day riders are not subject to the lottery.

I dunno in the sense I haven't really rad in depth about it but seems the jungle drums are beating out that the TDF is struggling? (Support? Financial? Over hyped?)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:07 pm

New Zealand is a great example - their investment has increased the active participation rate of locals but of course is a major tourism magnet.

A lot of this was off-road and different levels of difficulty and one approach was that the federal government delivers half the funding while the local council or other local business / initiatives deliver the other half. This also mean't it wasn't simply 'free money'... but needed a much bigger active community engagement.

For some project it means there are full-time or part-time jobs for building and managing trails and of course the tourism value in providing accommodation, food, car / bike hire and income that goes to other tourism activities.

New Zealand is brilliant for cycling... but Australia also has such stunning and diverse options to easily compare however significantly underselling the potential.
Cycling is in my BNA

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:43 am

https://www.railtrails.org.au/ra-nsw
What are Rail Trails?
Rail trails built on disused or abandoned rail corridors offer people of all ages a uniquely quiet, safe and easily graded path to enjoy. By opening up these corridors, visitors and residents alike can enjoy some of the most scenic regional areas in NSW while also learning of the important history of these areas and the rail lines that contributed to the development of this nation. They also act as conservation corridors.

Where are they?
Rail trails have been successfully developed in all other states of Australia and are well established in Europe and America. Victoria has over 800km of high standard rail trails.

Who uses them?
Locals use rail trails the most: to walk the dog or as a safe and pleasant ride with the kids. Visitors come: about 40,000 people visit north east Victoria’s rail trails each year, and each visitor spends on average $244 a day according to a La Trobe University study.

How do they protect rail corridors?
Some of the unused rail corridors in NSW have already been cut by freeways and other developments; all are generally neglected and undervalued. Rail trails will protect these corridors, making them highly valued assets of the communities they pass through. Rail trails keep corridors intact for the public use and available for future transport needs.
Walking and riding in safety while enjoying the regional towns and beautiful countryside of New South Wales: rail trails offer this possibility ... but are a dream at the moment on NSW’s many disused government rail corridors.

NSW is missing out
All the images on this page are from rail trails on government rail corridors in other states.

The people and regional businesses of NSW are missing out on the economic and health benefits that rail trails can deliver.

Overseas and in all other states of Australia rail trails attract both local and widespread use, help bind communities and are destinations for tourists.

Why no rail trails in NSW?
There are virtually no rail trails in NSW primarily due to complex issues unique to NSW. At times there have been concerns from some adjacent landholders, concerns addressed or unfounded on established interstate rail trails.

The Fernleigh Track Rail Trail, on a former Newcastle private coal line, is now a popular local resource and convincingly demonstrates that the people of NSW would enthusiastically adopt and use rail trails in NSW.

Short term goal: let’s get started
Feasibility studies undertaken for rail trails in several areas already provide convincing arguments for the benefits trails will bring. It is now time to establish initial pilot rail trails on these to conclusively demonstrate the benefits of regional rail trails here in NSW.

Northern Rivers Rail Trail (132km)
Between Casino and Murwillumbah in northern NSW.

Tumbarumba to Rosewood (21km)
Part of the proposed Riverina Highlands Rail Trail.

Gundagai (4km)
Part of the proposed Murrumbidgee Valley Rail Trail.

Show support for rail trails
Following the fantastic Launch of Rail Trails for NSW in March we now need to show the state government that there is broad support for the widespread development of rail trails in New South Wales before the railway corridors degrade further and are lost forever. Write to your local state member and ask for rail trails to be established in NSW.

You can find NSW parliamentarians’ contact details here

The Ministers to contact are:

Minister for Transport, Andrew Constance, bega@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Minister for Tourism and Major Events, Stuart Ayres, penrith@parliament.nsw.gov.au
Minister for Regional Development, John Barilaro, monaro@parliament.nsw.gov.au
Minister for Health, Jillian Skinner, northshore@parliament.nsw.gov.au
Shadow ministers to contact are:

Mick Veitch MLC, Shadow Minister for Primary Industry, Lands, Water and Western NSW, who introduced the rail trails bill, mick.veitch@parliament.nsw.gov.au

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:46 am

a giid video from seth bine hack

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:54 pm

https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2015/ ... MzNc-MtdWw

Business Case for Converting Street Parking Into Bike Lanes
ERIC JAFFE MAR 13, 2015
An annotated, chart-filled review of 12 studies from around the world.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:28 pm

Facebook link

More cyclists than ever are visiting Victoria's High Country, contributing to the region's billion dollar tourism economy. Numbers have spiked since Tourism North East launched its targeted cycling strategy almost two years ago.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 pm

https://www.facebook.com/BrisbaneValley ... __tn__=H-R

A Shout Out for rail trail campaigners all around Australia

Occasionally I get told by ill-informed people, usually in a snide comment on social media, that running a rail trail campaign isn’t such a great deal. Set up a Facebook page, set up an online petition, write a couple of letters, how hard is that?

What you see on the surface is just the tip of the iceberg.

Literally hundreds of meetings, conversations, correspondence with all levels of Government, lobbying local politicians, getting involved with local election campaigns, online petitions, fund-raising, videos, events, phone calls, research, reports, market stalls, public signage. dealing with Trolls, and then more of the same. It’s a daunting task that is not for the faint hearted.

Interesting that I recently had a conversation with the Ken Hillier, the son of John Hillier who campaigned for another of Australia’s great iconic rail trails, the High Country Rail Trail in Victoria.. It was uncanny how his experience was so like ours.

So, I’d just like to give a shout out to all the people campaigning for rails trails on our disused railway corridors around Australia.

Sometimes it will seem like an impossibly daunting task, but the wind of change will eventually blow in your direction. There will suddenly be a small but seismic shift in attitude as the powers that hold the purse strings realise rail trails are a fantastic benefit for the community.

What can be a better use of public money than investing in a recreational asset that brings so many economic, social and health benefits to so many people?

The world is a strange place. When you try to do the right thing, some people will be pleased you're doing it, others will hate you for it, but when you succeed, it’s important to keep in mind that the people who matter will thank you for it. P.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 pm

https://bicyclensw.org.au/tumbarumba-to ... l-success/

We are pleased to announce that Snowy Valleys Council have begun design, and will shortly begin construction, of the Tumbarumba to Rosewood Rail Trail.

The planned completion is set for 2020 and this rail trail will provide a test case and lessons to help the development of other rail trails in NSW.

Bicycle NSW lent its voice in support of the efforts by Snowy Valleys Council, Tumbarumba Community, Friends of the Rail Trail and the Historical Society to get the trail built.

The process of transferring the land to council, dealing with biosecurity compliance for adjoining farms and planning under and overpasses has added complications and delays.

“We were pleased to support the Tumbarumba to Rosewood Rail Trail and efforts to make this beautiful part of the Snowy Valleys accessible to more people,” said Bicycle NSW CEO, Alistair Ferguson.

“This creates another great destination for people travelling within and to NSW, as well as a brilliant active recreation space for the local community,” said Alistair.

Bicycle NSW supports rail trails and the opportunities they provide for bike riding and active recreation.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 am

opik_bidin wrote:https://bicyclensw.org.au/tumbarumba-to ... l-success/

We are pleased to announce that Snowy Valleys Council have begun design, and will shortly begin construction, of the Tumbarumba to Rosewood Rail Trail.
I'm a big fan of rail trails. Love 'em. I do wonder.....given your views on public transport and rail in particular, what would you do if the authorities decide in the future that a rail line would be a good thing to rebuild? There's precedent....Whittlesea CC commisioned a feasability study and initial plans for rail trailing the old, abandoned Whittlesea line. Waste of money; the state is gradually rebuilding a much needed rail line. What would the advocates have said if the rail trail had to go for this to happen? NIMBY? Let them live in high desity pockets of inner Melbourne?

I look foward to riding that new RT. when completed. :)

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 pm

opik_bidin wrote:Facebook link

More cyclists than ever are visiting Victoria's High Country, contributing to the region's billion dollar tourism economy. Numbers have spiked since Tourism North East launched its targeted cycling strategy almost two years ago.
Yes it sure is beautiful here. Just one thing, can you all leave your cars at home and arrive here by train or bus (or even bicycle).
Our lovely historic towns are being clogged up by visiting cars with bikes on the roof.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:36 pm

fat and old wrote:

I'm a big fan of rail trails. Love 'em. I do wonder.....given your views on public transport and rail in particular, what would you do if the authorities decide in the future that a rail line would be a good thing to rebuild? There's precedent....Whittlesea CC commisioned a feasability study and initial plans for rail trailing the old, abandoned Whittlesea line. Waste of money; the state is gradually rebuilding a much needed rail line. What would the advocates have said if the rail trail had to go for this to happen? NIMBY? Let them live in high desity pockets of inner Melbourne?
Yes, interesting as my understanding of the RT's around here (NE Victoria) still have the 100ft corridor and tracks under the spray seal, without Govco relinquishing ownership means they can be reinstated back as a rail line.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:06 pm

fat and old wrote:

Look at what people need, thats the answer.

If the rail trail really has to go, then OK, it has to go. If it has to stay, then it has to stay. Rail trails, especially good ones thatconnect communities will see much more people coming into the area.

And it means people are interested in cycleways. Combining cycleways with public transport for A->B is the best thing,

well, its not like there are abandoned highways that had to be destroyed and turned back into parks, houses, etc right?

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:13 pm

[/quote]well, its not like there are abandoned highways that had to be destroyed and turned back into parks, houses, etc right?[/quote]

Ah, parts of the old Hume in certain places have been restored back to green belts, farmland and bushland.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:34 pm

rokwiz wrote:
well, its not like there are abandoned highways that had to be destroyed and turned back into parks, houses, etc right?[/quote]

Ah, parts of the old Hume in certain places have been restored back to green belts, farmland and bushland.[/quote]

Yes, I did it as a sarcasm. as those highways with billions of taxapayers money, and then returned back to nature, what a waste of money.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Who uses them?
Locals use rail trails the most: to walk the dog or as a safe and pleasant ride with the kids. Visitors come: about 40,000 people visit north east Victoria’s rail trails each year, and each visitor spends on average $244 a day according to a La Trobe University study.

Really....$244 per day per person...wow....I've never spent that much on a holiday in my life, even on a car road trip buying petrol and Brekky, Lunch and Dinner for 2 and accommodation. And this is on average so that must mean some spend a lot more than that and tight arses like me don't :lol:

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:11 pm

brumby33 wrote:Who uses them?

Really....$244 per day per person...wow....I've never spent that much on a holiday in my life, even on a car road trip buying petrol and Brekky, Lunch and Dinner for 2 and accommodation. And this is on average so that must mean some spend a lot more than that and tight arses like me don't :lol:

brumby33
That will be the cost of accommodation in Beechworth alone

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:06 pm

rokwiz wrote:
brumby33 wrote:Who uses them?

brumby33
That will be the cost of accommodation in Beechworth alone
Can buy a good tent with that money :mrgreen:

VWR Patagonia 2017

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:58 pm

opik_bidin wrote:
rokwiz wrote:well, its not like there are abandoned highways that had to be destroyed and turned back into parks, houses, etc right?

Ah, parts of the old Hume in certain places have been restored back to green belts, farmland and bushland.
Yes, I did it as a sarcasm. as those highways with billions of taxapayers money, and then returned back to nature, what a waste of money.
Aye? How is it a waste of money? The road was used for decades by locals, interstate transport, tourists and so on. Now it's been closed and repurposed as park or bush land. Did you ever use the old Hume, prior to duplication?

Are you seriously advocating for no roads at all? What about rail...if you're being sarcastic did you mean to say that the old lines were a waste also? I'm really not sure, hence the question.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:21 pm

https://mailchi.mp/northernriversrailtr ... Amux5oxZgc

THE NORTHERN Rivers Rail Trail (NRRT) business case has been presented to Richmond Valley Council at their last meeting.

The business case, prepared by Bathurst-based consultancy BusinessSense, covers the 45km Casino-to-Eltham section of the 130kms Casino-to-Murwillumbah rail corridor. Richmond Valley and Lismore City councils each contributed $15,000 for the report and NRRT contributed over $70,000.

Cr Mustow said the proposed rail trail provided a safe, environmentally-friendly option for both visitors and local people who participated in a range of activities.

He said importantly, the report highlights that the land would remain a rail corridor, meaning it could be used for transport in the future if required.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:48 pm

At least the media is now promoting rail trails as a holiday destination, hope it pushes regionals to support rail trails to push tourism and get $$$ in the area

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019 ... 1572829564

On the rails: four Australian cycleways built on abandoned train tracks

From Victoria’s high country to the south coast of Western Australia, these cycling holidays have gentle hills and few cars to contend with

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will :P ) but I believe that Vic rail allows people to take bikes on board regional country trains already packed to the hilt with baggage and not have to box it, can't comment on QLD rail but NSW rail and it's aging Countrylink XPTs, required you to box your bike like as if you're going somewhere by plane, wheres the incentive if ya gotta muck around having to dismantle your bike, box it up if you want to spend a week or so around Dubbo or the Clarence Valley and/or the Tablelands etc people including myself wouldn't bother dismantling my Touring bike into a box just for a 5 hour train trip but I would if going overseas.

NSW needs to adapt their carriages so that at least half of 1 carriage on a set is for storage of bikes and other people's gear, I don't mind paying for that priviledge of taking my bike on the train with panniers and stuff on it ready to roll once you get there as long as I don't have to box up the bloody thing......if NSW did this, there'd be a lot more groups, families and overseas visitors take a bike out in the Country to see NSW. Not everyone has a car that can carry one or more bikes with everything else. It's so relaxing sitting in a train, watching the world go by not having to worry about the cost of a car and running it and just relax.....if Countrylink did this with the new XPT replacement trains due in 2023/4, then regional towns will surely benefit.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017