Trek domane 5.9 ultegra di2 or dura ace manual

rjk

Postby rjk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 pm

I like the trek domanes, about perfect for this old man.

but the question i have should i get the ultegra di2 or the dura-ace 9000 manual.

I was dead keen to get the di2 but the more i think about it, the lighter option of the dura-ace is starting to win me over.

Both are exactly the same price , what to do, what to do.

HELP
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

reefer

Re: Trek domane 5.9 ultegra di2 or dura ace manual

Postby reefer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Whats the real difference in weight? Half a bottle of water?

When I test road a Di2 bike, I really liked how much easier it was to shift, especially the front shifting and in fact it will be my misses next group set :D Then I will be able to get myself some Di2 love :wink: I’d prefer campy EPS but just can’t justify the extra expense.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm

I've never ridden the mechanical Dura Ace but I do own a Domane 5.9 with Ultegra DI2.

I love it. Shifts very smoothly. I also think with the compact gears I am in the 50 ring a lot more and my pedalling is alot more efficient.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Di2. You don't have any fast bikes, if you feel that old you won't get much faster. That said, I am guessing you'd prefer to take this baby out 1-2 times a week without any thinking? Just set and forget comfort? That's Di2. Get them to put Aura 5 TLR wheels on it, I got the Auras and they are euro cool :D

If you were racing I'd suggest DA, or if you liked mucking around with mechanical. I can't see the value in your weekender needing that kind of attention; the commuter is different. You're suppoed to destroy that ;)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Di2 is just lovely. Really shifts beautifully.

I can hardly fault it on my Giant - except when I really hammer in the small chain ring and higher gear at the back, when it will sometimes skip. And the days of tuning gears are gone. Praise the lord! :D

T3z

Postby T3z » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Test ride both and see what you like better.
Id personally go for the dura ace mechanical as it has better bearings whereas ultegra uses more basic bushings

Phil

Postby Phil » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I have the 5.9 with Di2. Love it - leaves the Campy 11 Super Record for dead in terms of shift quality. As for the weight, well when I get the roadie off the wall during the week its still a couple of KGs lighter than my MTB, so who cares, shift quality wins over 300grams or whatever it is. You will change front rings so much more often, as it just works so effortlessly.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:34 am

T3z wrote:Test ride both and see what you like better.
+1

took a Di2 demo bike for a spin and promptly handed it back after 5km the shifting felt artificial. Then took a DA 9000 demo out and thrashed it round the local crit track (a few times) without missing a beat (and did not want to hand it back). I know which one I would want of a race (or even road) bike.

That said, trying to work out how to get Di2 onto my TT bike.
Last edited by nickobec on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:00 am

I'd be getting the Mechanical Dura Ace.

Mechanical will never get a flat battery on a 160km ride in the middle of no where.

As for the tuning of derailleurs of mechanical groupsets, how often do you have to do that now? Not very often I dare say. Probably about as often as you do your brakes, which you will have to still do with Di2.

Derailleur adjustments are a 1/2 sec on the fly job with a 1/4 turn of a barrel adjuster, not a big thing.

In 3-5 years down the track your Dura ace equipped Domane will be worth more second hand after you sell it. You will sell it because the new bike you purchased will have electronic shifting with better battery life, a built in power meter and hydraulic disc brakes. A true adjustment free ride.