SRAM 22

Xplora

Re: SRAM 22

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Yoda, if they had discs, they might not have crashed to start with ;)

MikeB... Say What?! 1200 bucks without a crankset????!?!?! you must have missed something there... surely?

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 pm

sumgy wrote:
Xplora wrote:You're right, sumgy, that the racing is different, but the reasoning is wrong. Bicycles pile up MUCH more than motos in mass accidents and the lower speed does mean you're much more likely to get tangled up with the bicycle.
Yep agreed entirely.
I have actually said exactly that elsewhere on either this or another forum.
I just could not be bothered arguing with Jason. :mrgreen:
May be true for the current MotoGP formula, but definitely not so for other classes, such as MotoX. Lower speeds, but many large pileups, with discs, and spokes both. Still not aware of any significant issues that can be attributed to the presence of discs.

In any event, I believe the UCI ban on discs based on safety grounds is fallacious. They have been in use now for many years and have proven to be both effective and safe. Exposed chains and sprockets are more likely culprits – as anyone whose hand has slipped while loosening a pedal axle will most certainly agree.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 pm

rdp_au wrote:In any event, I believe the UCI ban on discs based on safety grounds is fallacious. They have been in use now for many years and have proven to be both effective and safe. Exposed chains and sprockets are more likely culprits – as anyone whose hand has slipped while loosening a pedal axle will most certainly agree.
Where have they been in use for many years where there is high speeds (40km/h+) with riders riding in tight formation??
Certainly not in MTB or CX.
Think about what you are typing before you hit the keys.
About the only time MTB riders are in tight formation is when they are jammed up behind each other in singletrack.
From experience, at these times they are probably going so slowly that they are basically stopped.
CX is likely about the same.

And why are you loosening a pedal axle whilst racing your bike?

lock_

Postby lock_ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

sumgy wrote:Where have they been in use for many years where there is high speeds (40km/h+) with riders riding in tight formation??
Motorcross maybe?

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:12 pm

lock_ wrote:
sumgy wrote:Where have they been in use for many years where there is high speeds (40km/h+) with riders riding in tight formation??
Motorcross maybe?
I am out of this argument.
Moto has NOTHING to do with bicycle racing.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Definitely. ;)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Xplora wrote:Yoda, if they had discs, they might not have crashed to start with ;)

MikeB... WT??! 1200 bucks without a crankset????!?!?! you must have missed something there... surely?
Not from what I know. Its almost 400 per lever (560 for the Red ones !) andthen 300 for the RD and about 110 for the FD.

Wish I was wrong on the lever price, but I think im right

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Personally think you are more likely to get burns from a disc rotor than amputation. A bladed wheel has the potential to do way more damage IMO. Just ask Dimma about his incident with the Kangaroo.

Discs will be legal. I give it 3 years.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Xplora wrote:If you want to stay cables, you have that option for the moment. Hydro is better for all situations. Whether or not it is needed, that's a different question. But you need to try and stop a car without hydraulic assistance a few times. It feels identical to the cable brake system on a bicycle.
I think you must be talking about vacuum assistance there. It won't stop at all without hydraulic assistance :mrgreen:
I would argue hydraulic rim brakes are an increase in complexity and potential serviceability for naff all net gain. Modern rim brakes offer fantastic power and modulation in the dry. Problems in the wet aren't down to a lack of clamping force, so can't see much of an improvement there.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm

warthog1 wrote:
I think you must be talking about vacuum assistance there. It won't stop at all without hydraulic assistance :mrgreen:
I would argue hydraulic rim brakes are an increase in complexity and potential serviceability for naff all net gain. Modern rim brakes offer fantastic power and modulation in the dry. Problems in the wet aren't down to a lack of clamping force, so can't see much of an improvement there.
Modern brakes are good yes, but discs are better.

have you ridden a disc equipped road bike yet ? Not just a MTB or CX, but a roadie.

When you have tried one, then come back and offer opinion

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

have you ridden a disc equipped road bike yet ? Not just a MTB or CX, but a roadie.

Since when have I had to have actually have done something to have been able to post my opinion?
And since when did you become a moderator and be able to tell people what to do?
When you have the word Moderator under your user name come back and tell me what to do.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm

All right lads, put the keyboards down and back away, keeping your hands where I can see them.
I don't want to have to go red on anybody...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Pass the popcorn please.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:

I was not talking about discs. I think you missed me mentioning hydraulic rim brakes in your haste to defend disc brakes. :P
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 am

warthog1 wrote:

I was not talking about discs. I think you missed me mentioning hydraulic rim brakes in your haste to defend disc brakes. :P
oops. Was on phone and without glasses

And sumgy, ease off. Some opinion is presented as fact, and that's how it came across. Too many people judge things without actually trying.

Meh, 1st world problems.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 am

MichaelB wrote:

And sumgy, ease off.
Good advice.
Worth you considering.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Lets decide to move on ladies and gentlemen.
Cycling is in my BNA

lock_

Postby lock_ » Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am

Road Bike Review posted up their article on the SRAM 22 press camp. Even includes a nice little promo video "review" of the groupset.

Freewheeling: The Road Disc Revolution Is Now

Still waiting Shimano...

Mozzar

Postby Mozzar » Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 pm

There is no need for hydraulic brakes of any sort on a road bike and if the cable starts to leak then you can't do anything about it without changing an expensive cable and bleeding the brakes. But with cable brakes you can tell when your cable is about to ware out and needs replacing and can be done before it happens. Also cable brakes are far more servicable and cheaper to replace.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 09, 2013 1:07 pm

lock_ wrote:Road Bike Review posted up their article on the SRAM 22 press camp. Even includes a nice little promo video "review" of the groupset.

Freewheeling: The Road Disc Revolution Is Now

Still waiting Shimano...
There is some press showing in July (for shimano that is) that I'm hoping to get an invite to :D

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Mozzar wrote:There is no need for hydraulic brakes of any sort on a road bike and if the cable starts to leak then you can't do anything about it without changing an expensive cable and bleeding the brakes. But with cable brakes you can tell when your cable is about to ware out and needs replacing and can be done before it happens. Also cable brakes are far more servicable and cheaper to replace.
There's no need for bikes, theres all sorts of alternatives... :roll:

I choose to ride bikes, and choose to ride both a roadie and a mountain bike. Both of my bikes have hydraulic disc brakes because in my experience, they offer the best braking that i have tried. Not sure why anyone else feels the need to say that they aren't needed unless they add that THEY don't need them. :?
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 pm

OK.
I dont need them.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't NEED them, but having tried them (and for some too) I think they are way better.

But if they are not for you, then that's great.

The one thong that is significant is that on all the reviews to date have been positive, and have seen where they are better than rim brakes, but again, they don't need to convince me :mrgreen:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Mozzar wrote:There is no need for hydraulic brakes of any sort on a road bike and if the cable starts to leak then you can't do anything about it without changing an expensive cable and bleeding the brakes. But with cable brakes you can tell when your cable is about to ware out and needs replacing and can be done before it happens. Also cable brakes are far more servicable and cheaper to replace.
Sounds like a comment from a mid 90's mountain bike magazine :)

Hydraulic disc brakes require next to no maintenance. I think I have bleed 2 sets of disc brakes in 10 years. Brake pad changes are a lot easier as well.

Basically that line of argument is a moot point.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Yep, strictly speaking derailleurs are not needed either, but they have useful advantages. :smile: