Shimano warranty - what DOES it cover???

ashwolters

Shimano warranty - what DOES it cover???

Postby ashwolters » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:17 am

So my Dura Ace C9000 titanium freehub only lasted 4000kms. I attempted to claim under warranty and this is the response I got:

"Freehubs, like spokes and bearings etc. are considered consumable items, subject to wear and tear and as such are not covered by any manufacturers warranty."

So much for having three year warranty on Shimano Dura Ace wheels!!!! I don't think a freehub is expected to wear out after only 4000kms.

The warranty states : "is free from non-conformities in material and workmanship". Is a freehub that wears out prematurely free from non-conformities?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shimano warranty - what DOES it cover???

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Great question, I can't answer but am certain that others will jump in and provide clarity.

Though in purchasing new equiptment there is also a fair expectation that for normal use the item will perform and not fail within a reasonable time frame.

Removing warranty cover for items in use (excluding crashes or 'bad' or improper use) shows that a brand doesn't have much faith in their product.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:12 pm

What was the specific problem with your freehub?

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Sounds unacceptable length of service, given that a $200 fixie will easily last 4000km.

Talk to the retailer you purchased it from. They are the ones would should be replacing it. Not Shimano.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Australian consumer law states you have a warranty for as long as the product is designed to last. Maybe they should put 4000km life on all their advertising...

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:01 pm

BenGr wrote:Australian consumer law states you have a warranty for as long as the product is designed to last. Maybe they should put 4000km life on all their advertising...
More accurately they need to be of "acceptable quality". 4000km life wouldn't be considered acceptable quality by most people. (Though if the lifetime is clearly stated to be only 4000km then that would likely cover them. Though this is not the case.)

In the old Trade Practices Act, goods could be sold if they were of “merchantable quality”. This generally meant that goods bought were reasonable in description and price. The new Chapter 3, Part 3-2, s 54 of the ACL demands that commercial operators have to sell goods that are of an “acceptable quality”.

Goods of an “acceptable quality” are:

• fit for the purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied
• acceptable in appearance and finish
• free from defects
• safe and durable.

The section still requires that goods match its descriptions, but the change from “merchantable quality” to “acceptable quality” may mean that goods that are of merchantable quality might not be considered as acceptable to a consumer, if for instance there is minor blemish in the appearance of a product.(1) However, if the blemish is brought to the consumer’s attention, it may be regarded as a good of “acceptable quality” to the reasonable person if a consumer is aware of the defect, and continues with the transaction.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4305 ... ve-to.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:28 pm

What sort of state was in it when you called "warranty"?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:03 pm

biker jk wrote:What was the specific problem with your freehub?
I too would like to know this.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:53 am

I have had two ultegra freehubs die, both within several weeks of purchase brand new. Shimano would not offer warranty because THEY DON'T STOCK 6700 10spd parts anymore. Oddly enough, they were happy to sell me another one. Say What? I love shimano stuff, but they are terrible when it comes to customer service and warranty. So, I just mailed the broken freehubs back to Shimano Australia head office with an envelope containing a photo of the freehub between my butt-cheeks. I use Reynolds now.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:43 am

harmonix1234 wrote:So, I just mailed the broken freehubs back to Shimano Australia head office with an envelope containing a photo of the freehub between my butt-cheeks. I use Reynolds now.
:lol:
I haven't had much luck with Formula, Joytec or Shimano, now to see how this Halo one will last. The formula hubs aren't that bad because you can buy them cheap and rob the parts out of them to repair the one on the bike. Hubs need constant servicing depending on the conditions and KMs you put them through, haven't had many last over 4000kms without having to service them.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:45 am

Yeah, I did it trackstanding at lights and then went for the big sprint take off when the light goes green to try and keep speed with the traffic. Crunch goes freehub and all the pawls inside all smashed up. Managed to do it to a deore one too. Not the freehubs fault, bad technique. I broke a chain doing this too so I just don't do it anymore.

ashwolters

Postby ashwolters » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Pottsy wrote:What sort of state was in it when you called "warranty"?
The wheels were fine up to this point, really smooth and no noises that would have hinted at an issue. I was riding down a long hill, freewheeling some of the time, and towards the end of the hill when I was slowing down the freehub started locking up so I couldn't stop pedaling. In my mind it appears to be a manufacturing problem which should be covered under warranty. I can't think of anything I did that would cause this.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:32 pm

ashwolters wrote:
The wheels were fine up to this point, really smooth and no noises that would have hinted at an issue. I was riding down a long hill, freewheeling some of the time, and towards the end of the hill when I was slowing down the freehub started locking up so I couldn't stop pedaling. In my mind it appears to be a manufacturing problem which should be covered under warranty. I can't think of anything I did that would cause this.
Sounds like the bearings have run dry or the freewheel was shimmed to tight from new.

zero

Postby zero » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
ashwolters wrote:
Sounds like the bearings have run dry or the freewheel was shimmed to tight from new.

There won't have been any shims involved. Its the freehub, its bolted onto the hub, and the cassette is splined and locked onto it - and yes it is a disposable item.

However IMO a 4000km premature failure on a DURA ACE unit is the kind of thing that shimano would have to have rocks in their head if they don't replace for free - that is just hurting their premium brand. Especially when all too often in the shimano world it turns out cheaper to buy the whole stupid hub again than it does to buy the freehub part alone.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:00 pm

zero wrote:
There won't have been any shims involved. Its the freehub, its bolted onto the hub, and the cassette is splined and locked onto it - and yes it is a disposable item.

However IMO a 4000km premature failure on a DURA ACE unit is the kind of thing that shimano would have to have rocks in their head if they don't replace for free - that is just hurting their premium brand. Especially when all too often in the shimano world it turns out cheaper to buy the whole stupid hub again than it does to buy the freehub part alone.
I haven't disassembled that specific hub but I have done quite a few other Shimano hubs, it will have bearings either side in the freewheel and shims for the bearing crush unless it is fitted with bearing cartridges. It's a lot of man hours to overhaul them, if you aren't set up..