Merida CYCLO CROSS 300 vs Kona Jake vs Cube CROSS RACE

gomz

Merida CYCLO CROSS 300 vs Kona Jake vs Cube CROSS RACE

Postby gomz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:18 am

Hi all,

I'm planing to buy my first cyclo cross bike, can you help me to chose? I have three bike's on my list:

Merida CYCLO CROSS 300
http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bike ... -2213.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kona Jake
http://www.konaworld.com/jake.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cube CROSS RACE
http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/road-race/c ... nred-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KGB

Re: Merida CYCLO CROSS 300 vs Kona Jake vs Cube CROSS RACE

Postby KGB » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 am

How big are you? I'm short and one problem I find is toe overlap with the front wheel on frames in my size. Really annoying for racing. It's a balance with the geometry between having enough clearance and keeping the handling sharp.

Otherwise, how and where are you buying?

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:29 am

Only comment I can make is that the Jake has an alloy fork :)

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:07 am

Not sure about budget but I'd go for the Focus mares - I think you can find them for $1500 with full 105.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:24 am

The guy at work has a Kona Jake the snake that he commutes on (btw not sure how much diff there is between the Jake and the Jake the Snake), but its bulletproof. Its been first in the rack just about everyday for the last 3 years in all kinds of weather and it just looks so solid...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

gomz

Postby gomz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm 175cm, and inseam 79cm, after testing Merida 54 and 52, im not sure which one to chose, Jake 53 is perfect, and im leaning more to Merida 52.
I will use bike sometimes for daily comute (9km, road) and some light training on the road (3x per week, 40-80km), plus sometimes off road, maybe next year after I get in shape some cross race (more for fun).

Jake and Merida 300 have alloy fork, which i prefer, I'm still not so confident in "cheap" low end bikes with carbon forks, maybe I'm wrong?
Plus Merida have extra brakes levelers, which are quite useful in city, during maneuvering in traffic, but they take extra space on the bars.
I like Shimano 105, shifting is slightly smoother then Tiagra, and there is no extra cables on the side which is more comfortable and allow more positions on the bar, but i read that Tiagra is more robust, and can handle more beating on the rough terrain?

If I opt for Shimano 105, then my choice is Merida Cyclocross 500 or Giant TCX SLR 2

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bike ... -2212.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 743/76164/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it worth to give 300$ more for TXC SLR 2 instead Merida 300?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:14 am

If you are comparing the Merida CX 500 and the Giant TCX SLR2 (as you should be) then the extra $250 for the Giant is not worth it (unless it fits you better) given that both bikes in Australian specification have virtually the same driveline and brakes. Kona Jake stands no chance spec wise in this company...but if it fits...then who cares.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:17 am

gomz wrote: Jake and Merida 300 have alloy fork, which i prefer, I'm still not so confident in "cheap" low end bikes with carbon forks, maybe I'm wrong?
Plus Merida have extra brakes levelers, which are quite useful in city, during maneuvering in traffic, but they take extra space on the bars.
I like Shimano 105, shifting is slightly smoother then Tiagra, and there is no extra cables on the side which is more comfortable and allow more positions on the bar, but i read that Tiagra is more robust, and can handle more beating on the rough terrain?
- Low end carbon forks are not bad. Carbon is slowly finding its way into lower end bikes, doesn't mean they are rubbish.
- Brake levers (interrupters) are rubbish as well. imo avoid these. They mess up the feel of the brakes at the shifter.
- I'm not sure where you read that tiagra can take more of a beating. But 5700 105 (10sp) and 5800 105 (11sp) are pretty bulletproof. You could run sora on a cross bike and it will still be fine in terms of durability.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

gomz

Postby gomz » Mon May 04, 2015 10:41 pm

After testing Merida Cyclocross 300/500, Cube Cross Race Disc, Kona Jake, Giant TCX SLR2

I bought Stevens Gavere Disc, Shimano 105 2x11-speed, TRP Spyre disc brakes, alu frame and fork, and just 9.7 kg (best in price range) no carbon and still lighter then bikes with carbon forks, love it.
Best part bike come already build from factory with mechanic signature, just pump the tires and ready to go :)
Still waiting for delivery, I will post my impressions.

Need to buy accessories and upgrade tyres
Continental Gatorskin or Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite tyres
Seat Bag, most likely Topeak Aero Wedge, plus tube, CO2, and tools
BBB SpeedCage Bottle
Polaris Clarity Sports Glasses, later some sun glasses adaptive to the light intensity

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2015/index.p ... lang=en_US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Nice rig - congrats.

Not sure about your distrust of carbon forks though - odd???

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Nice. Though there's no way that'll be 9.7kg unless you bought the smallest version of it - and can ride it without pedals!! Alloy fork will be strong but it will beat you up. All the best.

Presumably you aren't in Oz since we can't get this one here...

vbap_commuter

Postby vbap_commuter » Tue May 05, 2015 2:09 pm

That's nice looking bike.

I just picked up a 53cm Norco A1 Threshold after my 2yo Kona Jake's chain stay broke (several months after a crash into a car...)

Definitely notice difference between carbon vs alu forks

The Norco (pretty much same spec) weighs ~10.9kg, inclusive of Maxxis Overdrive Plus 32c tyres, m520 pedals, a couple of cheap bottle cages, lights & bell.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Where did you get that an alloy fork will beat you up? All the alloy forks I have used have been the opposite.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 12, 2015 9:44 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Where did you get that an alloy fork will beat you up? All the alloy forks I have used have been the opposite.
I have a Scott CX Comp which came with an alloy fork that was fatiguing on our hard ground and corrugated roads compared to the Kinesis carbon fork that replaced it. The Scott fork now does duty on the Ghettograveller where it is stiffer and lighter than the steel Giant fork that was in it.

I also had a MTB with a Kinesis alloy fork in it that was a wonderful to steer (so stiff!) but deadly on the small bumps because of it. Now run another steel MTB with a carbon rigid fork that is still wonderful to steer but actually has small bump compliance.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 12, 2015 9:53 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Where did you get that an alloy fork will beat you up? All the alloy forks I have used have been the opposite.
My experience has been with older alluminium forks from the 90's