Pacific Tag Along Bike

tobyshadow

Pacific Tag Along Bike

Postby tobyshadow » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 pm

I recently bought a Pacific Tagalong on Ebay with the hitch that attaches to a seatpost. However, when I got home I realised that the hitch was way too big for my seatpost diameter. I came up with a half arsed remedy by wrapping a bit of inner tube on the seatpost then attaching the hitch and tightening the bolts so that it was very tight.

However, it seems that the hitch constantly moves to the right side presumably because my son leans all the time. However it does not readjust at all so I have to keep stopping and move the hitch back into the correct position.

Just wondering what the best solution would be? Would getting a seatpost shim help?

Also how tight does the hitch need to be on the seatpost? I've seen conflicting ideas on this. Some people have said that it should be not too tight so that there is some movements around the hitch/seatpost. However, I always thought that the tagalong pivots around the quick release bolt on the hitch (that attaches the tagalong to the hitch part).

Thanks.

rkelsen

Re: Pacific Tag Along Bike

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I also bought ours second hand and had the same problem. I just shimmed it up with some 1mm-ish plastic sheeting until it couldn't move anymore (3 layers). It shouldn't move. That's what the pivot bolt is for.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:04 pm

I've been using our Weehoo quite a lot. I also have an Adams single & tandem.

The Weehoo provides superior stability and the coupling link to the tow bike is really simple, well designed and has less parts that could fail. Its really very smart yet so simple.

My observation is that you could safely tow a Weehoo behind a road bike.

We did do a 50km social bunch ride towing the Weehoo behind a single Adams - hard work but doable.

The upright trailer bikes like Adams really require a mountain bike for safety, ie. wider tyres, more upright handling etc. (I am 68-70kg, if you were well heavier than me maybe you could get away with a road bike - for my weight I wouldn't consider trying it).

The kids have less opportunity to "help" on the weehoo due to it being single speed without gears but they pedal the whole time and are none the wiser.

You can easily do bunch rides towing the Weehoo. With the Adams, much more care is required as the kids can "steer" the bike a little by moving their weight around - they should really only be used by experienced cyclists. On my mountain bike I run the rear tyre at 60psi and the front at 40psi which provides the extra front end grip required. The front of the bike gets pretty light with an Adams type bike as you have so much weight hanging off the seat post.

I'm loving the weehoo at the moment! I would let my wife tow it, I wouldn't let her tow either of the Adams bikes.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:15 pm

jacks1071 wrote:I've been using our Weehoo quite a lot.
I'm considering getting one in a year or so.

How do you find the reaction of drivers to it?

Also, how about hills? We've got at least a 4% climb to get anywhere and I am wondering...?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:32 pm

simonn wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:I've been using our Weehoo quite a lot.
I'm considering getting one in a year or so.

How do you find the reaction of drivers to it?

Also, how about hills? We've got at least a 4% climb to get anywhere and I am wondering...?
I zip-tie a SMART flasher onto the flag pole, motorists give you FAR more space. In fact touch wood I havn't had anyone come remotely close to me, very different when you are riding by yourself.

The pole waves around quite a lot with the weight of the flasher on the end and makes the rig look wider than it really is.

Climbing isn't a drama for me, I'm towing it with a 26" MTB and have all the gears in the world.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

TimothyKig

Pacific Tag Along Bike

Postby TimothyKig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 pm

The weight of the average kids bike even in the LBS these days is astonishing - its hard to work out how they actually manage to make them so heavy

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:20 am

TimothyKig wrote:The weight of the average kids bike even in the LBS these days is astonishing - its hard to work out how they actually manage to make them so heavy

Steel is real... heavy lol