Edge 510 owners - impressions & gripes

GolferGoneMad

Re: Edge 510 owners - impressions & gripes

Postby GolferGoneMad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
GolferGoneMad wrote:I have had the same issues since upgrading the software to 2.7, sent Garmin an email and waiting a response. Hoping it can be fixed soon.
Good luck with that!!! Let me guess, u will get a standardised email about doing a factory reset!
Well, I'll have to wait for the reply, as it hasn't arrived just yet............ Maybe it will be worth going back to the Factory setting.

I do love my 510 though, so I hope Garmin can fix with next upgrade.

Giant TCR 0 2014
Giant Defy 1

GaryJ

Postby GaryJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread. Has anyone upgraded their 510 to firmware 2.9 and is still happy with it? I just got a 510 today and it's come with 2.7 firmware, I'm contemplating whether I leave it as is or upgrade to 2.9. Looking at the Garmin forums there seems to be a few people with 2.9 that have everything spontaneously wiped and they have to start from scratch again.

GH

Postby GH » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Yeah mine crashed on Saturday, had to reset everything. But that was the first issue in a year or more of ownership.

I think I may have contributed to the crash too by holding the power button too long to turn it off........who knows.

Was a bit of a pain to re enter most of the data needed.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 pm

GaryJ wrote:Sorry to drag up an old thread. Has anyone upgraded their 510 to firmware 2.9 and is still happy with it? I just got a 510 today and it's come with 2.7 firmware, I'm contemplating whether I leave it as is or upgrade to 2.9. Looking at the Garmin forums there seems to be a few people with 2.9 that have everything spontaneously wiped and they have to start from scratch again.
Leave it as it is.
2.9 is a pain in the ....
I have mine having problem with bluetooth sync, unit sometimes do its own factory reset, and most importantly - deletes all ride on its own. Not funny when you have done 160km ride and would like to see how did you go :(

GaryJ

Postby GaryJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:22 pm

rheicel wrote:Leave it as it is.
2.9 is a pain in the ....
I have mine having problem with bluetooth sync, unit sometimes do its own factory reset, and most importantly - deletes all ride on its own. Not funny when you have done 160km ride and would like to see how did you go :(
Out of interest have you tried the reformat thing that people have suggested?

rheicel

Edge 510 owners - impressions & gripes

Postby rheicel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:31 pm

GaryJ wrote:
rheicel wrote: Out of interest have you tried the reformat thing that people have suggested?
heaps mate, heaps. It even reformats itself in some cases. Worst if I use it with bluetooth on longer rides.

GaryJ

Postby GaryJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:34 pm

No worries thanks for that. Might steer clear for now until they get things sorted. I guess I won't be using courses in the meantime because of the distance bug.

GaryJ

Postby GaryJ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:14 am

Firmware 3.0 has now been released, however only one thing in the change log, doesn't look very promising for any fixes from 2.9.... http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=6049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spirro

Postby spirro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:49 am

Well that's disappointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:56 pm

3.10 Firmware is out now. This should now make this unit more robust as the update now addressed the problem on data and settings corruption. Go and grab this update guys :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 am

Only issue I have with Garmin 510 is sometimes my desktop computer doesn't recognise it when I attempt to up load data to Strava and Golden Cheetah after a ride. I have to fiddle with the data cable and unplug and re-plug it in and generally it will work then.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:06 am

Ross, using another USB data cable , the non garmin one seems to have fixed this issue on my 510.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:00 am

The cable used to work fine with my 500, that's why I'm thinking it's a problem with the Garmin rather than the cable.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 pm

I've had mine for about a year now.

The good:
battery never runs out
lots of options for tracking and measuring data
easily configurable
the virtual partner is useful
touch screen works well with gloves on

The bad:
had a couple of instances where it's not picked up the GPS correctly until halfway through a ride leaving me with a big straight line on a route
it crapped itself big time last week and I had to format the hard drive to get it back to life - not a major issue in the end but trying to find the solution was not easy and took me hours of searching on google
Garmin Connect is rubbish compared to Strava and the new upload software is a major step back in time - why remove the web based upload?
Doesn't take advantage of the colour screen very well at all

Overall, a decent piece of kit but probably not worth the money.

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Mine has had the weird issues with patches causing bluetooth drops, restarts, self wipes. Thought the latest firmware stabilised the 510 until today on a 40km ride at around 36km mark decides to turn off and not turn back on. Only started again after plugging in to charge. Indicated 89% battery left. Another new issue.... Sigh

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:33 am

Try to reload the 3.1 firmware again Sychen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:39 pm

djw47 wrote: The bad:
had a couple of instances where it's not picked up the GPS correctly until halfway through a ride leaving me with a big straight line on a route
Mine did this yesterday! Even though before I started pedalling the message came up saying "GPS fix aquired" and everything looked normal on the screen but when I uploaded it to my computer at home the Strava map came out as a straight line. The distance and speed seemed accurate though, but the Garmin did give me an ego boost by saying I had just achieved a new power PR - 440W for 20mins! I WISH! :twisted:

fingy

Postby fingy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Not sure if it helps anyone, the GF's 510 settings were corrupted after a
failed v3.0 update (suspect OEM Garmin USB cable) was interrupted (guessing)
I was able to install v3.1 hoping that would fix it, checked it was installed but all
the settings English, male/fem, weight Etc. could not be changed and those that
could would not remain set the unit was rendered unusable.
She sent an Email to Garmin's customer service and was informed to wait three days
for a reply :shock: so after searching the interwebs I was able to fix it by

- connecting to the PC finding the drive in "my computer" and doing a FAT format
(right click on it)
- switch unit on wait for it to power up then shut down and reconnect to PC
- copy the unpacked contents of a zip file found here to the root folder of the 510
- power up, re-do the start up settings.... all done :)

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:30 am

fingy wrote:Not sure if it helps anyone, the GF's 510 settings were corrupted after a
I was able to install v3.1 hoping that would fix it, checked it was installed but all
She sent an Email to Garmin's customer service and was informed to wait three days

- connecting to the PC finding the drive in "my computer" and doing a FAT format
(right click on it)
- copy the unpacked contents of a zip file found here to the root folder of the 510
Yep, same happened to me, thought it was totally cooked and was anticipating sending it back to Garmin until I found this fix online. Worked a treat BUT it shouldn't be happening in the first place!

sminns

Postby sminns » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:34 pm

djw47 wrote:
fingy wrote:Not sure if it helps anyone, the GF's 510 settings were corrupted after a

(right click on it)
Yep, same happened to me, thought it was totally cooked and was anticipating sending it back to Garmin until I found this fix online. Worked a treat BUT it shouldn't be happening in the first place!
Same to me, I contacted Garmin with no reply but in the meantime I did the format above - perfect now.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:02 am

I'm having issues with Bluetooth, which all the usual 'fixes' aren't fixing. I've tried unpairing and repairing, reinstalling Garmin Connect on my Android phone etc. etc. and although my phone says it's paired with the device and displays the correct passkey etc., as if the device doesn't recognise that Garmin Connect is running.

Does anyone have any tips or procedures for when the Bluetooth connection is playing up?

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 pm

My 500 used to ask if I wanted to calibrate my power meter when it was detected. With the 510, I need to go through the menus to calibrate the power meter every time.

Is there any way to set the 510 so it asks to calibrate my power meter each time it is detected?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Stupid piece of crap. I managed to get it working on Tuesday, but yesterday afternoon they refused to talk via Bluetooth once again.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Finally figured out a process that seems to work... un-pair, power cycle Garmin, re-pair. Hopefully I'll start getting more than a couple of days before it screws up again...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:50 pm

lobstermash wrote:Finally figured out a process that seems to work... un-pair, power cycle Garmin, re-pair. Hopefully I'll start getting more than a couple of days before it screws up again...
Frequent thing for me too, and power cycling generally helps, although automatic upload always fails... Fkn useless thing..,