commuting to work (35Km a day)

1Rowdy1

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:05 pm

I am 52, obese and have the onset of Emphysema, I manage 20kmh over 50k's on a flat bar without any problem. I don't use drops as it restricts my breathing too much. In a couple of weeks you'll be smashing it, the best bike to get is the one you like to ride.

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 am

hi guys

me and my husband have both decided to pick up the sport of cycling .. on the weekdays to commute to work and on the weekends to ride to the city.
We are both pretty fit .. eg we run 5km a day to maintain a regular level of fitness.
We both have little knowledge of bikes and after posting a few times on this forum I have learnt alot of things.

We have both decided to go drop bars and have decided on a budget of $1000 per bike. Can you guys please suggest some bikes that would make good road bikes in our budget:
I guess Giant, Trek and Cannondale are brands to look for. How about Merida?

thanks for your help so far.. Have learnt loads and would love to hit the road soon.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am

I have a Merida roadie (carbon endurance type), happy with it. The sub $1000 road bikes might be harsh on anything but smooth bitumen with 23/25mm tires. I'd avoid Giants if it comes with the D fuse seatpost on cheaper models. As is usually stated 'fit' is the most important first step, then compare comfort, specs and price plus value of a good bike shop if you're not up on self maintenance. I prefer flat bars myself, try one yourself especially in traffic and on shared paths.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am

HH, there are no bad $1000 bikes for your usage so any of the brands will be fine. You will be looking at an alloy frame with a carbon fork and entry level gearset/chainset. I would suggest making sure a 28mmtyre will fit so you can have a bit more comfort/versatility. Watch the prices and if $1k is your budget, start to compare the models and wait for specials to get the best specification under your budget. For example the entry level Giant Contend looks to be a great bike and rrp is $999, but if the next model Contend (rrp $1,199) is on special for less than $1k then go with it.

Another thing to consider is that entry level road bikes are usually plentiful on the second hand market, they have either been looked after and upgraded quickly by a keen cyclist or unused by someone who got excited about cycling and never ended up going cycling. Buying something off either of these types of people will save you a lot of money :wink:

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:18 am

thanks guys..

will keep looking..

Do they have good boxing day specials around?

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 am

Paddles wrote:
Another thing to consider is that entry level road bikes are usually plentiful on the second hand market, they have either been looked after and upgraded quickly by a keen cyclist or unused by someone who got excited about cycling and never ended up going cycling. Buying something off either of these types of people will save you a lot of money :wink:
that sounds like me when i first started .. lol. i kept my first road bike for 3 months before upgrading.

Merida is a good brand. they make reliable bikes at very good value.
Under-rated. you also have the 99bikes' network of shops providing support.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 am

^(@Paddles) 2nd hand is fine if you understand what you're looking at, but difficult if you don't. If you can take a friend it would be wise.

Not really anything "bad" at ~$1000, though at that price it's usually a compromise between:
* Component spec level (Shimano: Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105 in ascending order)
* Brand name (Specialized/Cannondale/Trek vs say Reid)
* Frame/fork material (Carbon vs alloy; probably not likely to find carbon under $1k)
* Quality of service from the shop (e.g will they swap a saddle for you, or help you adjust the fit of the bike to get you comfortable).

No best answer to the above, but the best advice is to test ride as many options as you can, and pick the one you like the most for whatever criteria you prefer (ie what bike makes you want to ride it).

Merida is a fine brand, they are the "home brand" of the factory that manufactures bikes for many other brands.

Some other cheapies to consider, if you're willing to trade off service for price:
Reid in North Melbourne (eg the Falco Elite) https://www.reidcycles.com.au/bikes/road-bikes.html
Cycling Deal in Dandenong South https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/bikes/road
Polygon from https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/bikes ... road-race/ (eg Strattos S5)
(Used bikes:)
Alchemy Cycle trader in Knoxfield https://www.alchemycycletrader.com.au/

Last point (for now!) - Don't forget to budget for helmet, padded shorts/bibs, shoes, pedals at a minimum (most bikes come without pedals...).

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:00 am

Happyhunting wrote:thanks guys..

will keep looking..

Boxing Day sales not really, but now is a good time to shop while 2019 models are being released and 2018 models are being run out cheap

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Happyhunting wrote:thanks guys..

will keep looking..

Yep, they release new models in Q3 (?) of the year so last year's bikes get discounted.

You sometimes see bike stores doing a Tour de France sale on road bikes around July as well.

I vote for drop bars due to multiple available hand positions for comfort. If you don't want to be bent over too harshly, consider an "endurance" geometry bike which is slightly taller at the front and a bit more upright. We're talking a few cms of difference, not a few inches, so it depends on your flexibility.

I have a Giant Contend which I think is in between "bent over" race geometry, and more upright endurance geometry. I'm stiff as a board but have no comfort problems doing 100kms+ on my bike. Assuming you're wearing padded cycling shorts that is :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi guys

Did some shopping online and saw the below:

Specailised Allez sport
Merida Scultura 200
Cannondale Synapse disc Sora
Giant Contend 1
Trek Domane AL 3

Any points to consider for the above?

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elstern ... 1195679487

saw this on gumtree. what do you guys reckon?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Happyhunting wrote:saw this on gumtree. what do you guys reckon?
Nowhere for racks.
Nowhere for mudguards.
Skinny tyres.

I wouldn't chose to commute on that. Doesn't mean you can't.
Great for playing on the weekend.

If you're going to spend $800 on a used bike to commute, look for something like a Malvern Star Oppy S2 or S1 (and spend a little bit on rack & guards) There was one of them languishing on Gummy in MEL for sub $500 last year
Happyhunting wrote:Any points to consider for the above?
See notes on the gummy bike.

If you want to buy a race bike and commute on it, do so. If that's the sort of bike you want, go for it. You need to buy the bike that makes you smile.

(I used to commute in a mid-engined open-top italian sports car with lumpy cam, race suspension and sticky tyres so guilty as charged)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Happyhunting wrote:https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elstern ... 1195679487

Yeah, that will work fine for commuting. I commute on something far more exotic than that bike and it works fine. I've put a lot of kilometres on my Giant either commuting (which it does a lot of), 100km rides frequently, going up and down mountains overseas (that is it my avatar), sometimes at massive speeds, it has been superb. It is as smooth running today as it was when I got it many years ago.

But just make sure you seek permission here before buying the bike, most important. :P

On practical things, I work in an office which has lockers and showers. I like to ride fairly quickly to work anyway - so I shower once I get to work. I leave work shoes at work in the lockers along with some other things like toiletries, etc. I leave a casual jacket there as well. So I commute with just what I need in a small backpack (what they give us in the Haute Route cycling events, I have a number of them now) - and that's just the clothes I need to change into, my phone, other essentials. I can keep things at work, that works well.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:42 pm

That's a nice bike HH, and very good quality for an entry level bike. Consider what you might be carrying with you on your commute. Do you need mudguards or rack/pannier or will you be carrying minimal gear in a small backpack and leaving all your clothes at work? Confirm with the owner if bigger 28mm tyres can be fitted, this will make commuting a bit more comfy.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Happyhunting wrote:https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elstern ... 1195679487

More info required. Year and riding volume are important. Most moving parts wear and can be exy to replace (chainrings, cassette, pedals, wheel bearings).
The weight of the previous owner I rate important as well, and what how he used it (racing, commuting in all weather, rougher roads).
Maintenance history would be nice. I keep receipts from shop work for about 5 years.

Anyway, you want to clarify your need for racks, mudguards, tire durability/width. This bike is unlikely to take a tire wider than 28mm.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Whatever bike you buy, I’d suggest something low to mid range. No point spending a bomb on a commute bike. With that in mind, I suggest going somewhere like 99 Bikes. They have a large range and you’ll be able to test ride a few different bikes.

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:10 pm

TCR ADVANCED SL 0 2013 - Medium

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hawthor ... 1197475025

saw this on gumtree..

its priced at 1800

i am 170cm ... would i fit into a M size giant frame?

also is that a good price given the bike is 5-6 years old?

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Giant TCR Advanced SL Carbon road bike Campagnolo small

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/knoxfie ... 1197693749

came across this beauty

Alchemy Cycle Trader is one of Australia's largest licensed pre-owned bicycle dealers - sold by these guys

what do you guys reckon.. (need to seek your permission first :)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Happyhunting wrote:Giant TCR Advanced SL Carbon road bike Campagnolo small

came across this beauty

Alchemy Cycle Trader is one of Australia's largest licensed pre-owned bicycle dealers - sold by these guys

Alchemy is the brainchild of a guy who was heavily into the bike retail scene once upon a time, however is nothing more than an overpriced bike flipper. Apparently buyers get a Roadworthy Certificate with each bike....

Too expensive, the gimmicky nature of the RWC annoys me and the TCR is probably a fraction racy/aggressive for your intended usage.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:07 pm

The ride you're describing (Forest Hill region to various locations) is an area I'm very familiar with. Canterbury road hills mean disc brakes are nice to have as is climb-friendly gearing, especially Canterbury rd down to or up from Middleborough rd. Your $2000 should find something worthwhile. Might be worth a quick trip into Cycle Works on Whitehorse rd Box Hill (near the VFL ground & the Tudor Motor Inn) and have a look at their range.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Happyhunting wrote:Giant TCR Advanced SL Carbon road bike Campagnolo small

came across this beauty

Alchemy is the brainchild of a guy who was heavily into the bike retail scene once upon a time, however is nothing more than an overpriced bike flipper. Apparently buyers get a Roadworthy Certificate with each bike....

Too expensive, the gimmicky nature of the RWC annoys me and the TCR is probably a fraction racy/aggressive for your intended usage.
I ride one of those, they are fine (mine are a little bit newer than that). You can set them up to be relaxed, and they are comfortable bikes anyway.

I wouldn't go that one without a good inspection of it.
Happyhunting wrote:TCR ADVANCED SL 0 2013 - Medium
That's closer to the ones I have, but again - you'd want to inspect it well before parting with that sort of cash.

I'm unsure you'd fit on the medium (a 54cm) that well. Maybe it's a bit big? I'm 175cm and have a 54cm, saddle is quite high. 110mm stem and 40cm bars (on the SL1). My SL3 as 38cm bars, but aside from that and the groupset is pretty much identical. Maybe it might work, but remember these SL framesets tend to have integrated seat post - not adjustable, see:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zpx ... rFv-X2.jpg

If the standard Giant carbon stem doesn't fit right, Pro Vibe 7S stems are available in a big range of lengths and angles, surely one of them will be suitable.

On a more aggressive bike (Mavic Canyon Aeroad CF SLX medium), the setup looks like this:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-TzL ... sts-X2.jpg

Again, I have quite long legs and arms, hence the high saddle (Fizik Antares).

Although I'm very happy to say Giant TCR Advanced SL bikes are lovely things, with the fixed seat post that's something to remember and also how the bike has been treated previously.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 am

HH - as you intend to ride the bike for commuting, you also need to take into consideration your office's end-of-trip facilities (as many had adviced here).
do you need pannier & rack? or a backpack? do you have locker facilities at work?
how about bike secure area?

i've been fortunate that all the work places i have commuted to, have designated secure room/cage for bikes. even then, a good lock is still a worthy theft-deterrent.
[i once had to share my bike lock with a fellow commuter who had lost his lock in the bike cage. he ended up locking his very expensive Santa Cruz to my commuter :D]

the TCR SL0 is a very nice bike. the "0" designates it as the top-of-the-line model isn't it?
i would really hate to lock it outside my work place!

my $0.02 - $1800 is a lot of money to spend on your first bike, especially a commuter. any chance of looking at a cheaper model? and once you find out how much you enjoy cycling then consider upgrading to a more exotic one?
it's a longer learning curve to get to your ideal bike but along the way, you'll find out more about what you like and don't like about your bike and make a better informed decision?
whatever it is .. take your time. don't rush ..

Cosh

Postby Cosh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:53 am

Merida Scultura 400
Alloy frame, carbon forks and full 105 groupset.
99 Bikes are selling the 2018 models for $1,200, hard to go past for the spec.
I was in the same situation as you and ended up getting a Scultura 200 with the 9 spd Sora groupset. I ended up swapping out to full 105 and it was well worth it, particularly the brakes. The frame also "just" fits 28c tyres.

There's also the Polygon Strattos S5 for $1,100 online, with full 105; it has pannier mounts as well.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm

caneye wrote:the TCR SL0 is a very nice bike. the "0" designates it as the top-of-the-line model isn't it?
i would really hate to lock it outside my work place!
SL1 and SL0 are the top of the line models, the zero models are the Di2 electronic Dura Ace bikes. the ones are the mechanical Dura Ace usually. the SL3 is also quite a high end bike, just with some cheaper components in a few places, but the frame is still the same top end one. :idea:

I'd never want to lock up a 0 or a 1 outside of a workplace.

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 am

Hi guys

Went to some bike shops on the weekend and they all recommend full 105 groupset

What do you guys reckon
anything else to consider?

I was thinking buying new - second hard seems to hard atm.

the point at the end of the days is its going to be a commuter bike doing between 25-40Km a day and I want it to give me 10 years or so (with regular service).