Help me choose my Cyclocross bike

Agent009

Re: Help me choose my Cyclocross bike

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:58 pm

10speed - that SLR 0 is still available. Pretty much the last one anywhere.

However, it's a medium. At 185cm I really think I need to go large so may have to pass :(

Will pop in over the weekend for a look though.

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:36 am

Well I'm thinking of taking all your advice on board and going the 2018 toughroad slr gx 0.

Makes me a bit nervous as I've never owned a dropbar bike before. I sat on one and it felt a little awkward but I'm sure I'll get used to it. And given it only has 1x drivetrain, I only need to worry about gears with right hand.

Also, given I will have a "one bike quiver" I really wanted something that will be great at all things. The other thing that worries me with dropbars is going for casual rides with kids, especially when we need to dodge a lot of people walking. I know flatbars would be better for that so dropbars have me a bit worried from that angle as well. There's only 2 of these bikes left in stock so I need to make a decision tonight and I'll ring up and pay a deposit tomorrow.

DefytheOdds - your review is one reason that is swaying me. How does it go for speed on the road vs your road bike? Also, how does it go for a more casual ride in a more upright position? The 40mm tires I'm happy with...are they decent though? When the time comes I'll probably replace them with Schwalbe G-One all round or Panaracer Gravelking SK's.

Also, is there room for a bell and front light on the dropbar? And maybe a silly question, should I put a kickstand on it. I've never owned a bike without a kickstand but they dont seem to be as popular anymore?

Anyway, thanks again.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:50 pm

The stock 40mm tyres are excellent. A good compromise between supple and sturdy.

I had this bike fitted with flat, platform pedals. I specifically did this to be able to use the bike for everything. I go out with my son regularly in a trailer I tow with the bike.

I ride road often also and is not that much slower than my Defy which is setup race orientated.

The tyres wont need replacing in my opinion. I would recommend putting in a little more sealant than stock for a bit of comfort.

If anything drop bars are better than flat as they are narrower so avoiding people is easier because you won't take up the whole path.

If I had to only have 1 bike, it would be the Toughroad. I hardly ride the Defy anymore simply because the Toughroad literally goes anywhere.

Buy it, don't over think it, and enjoy it.

Thank me later ;)

Agent009

Postby Agent009 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks mate.

PS. Love the look of the SLR GX 0 2019 model.

Great colour!