Need Wide Shoe Recommendations - Please help!

Apoca1ypse

Need Wide Shoe Recommendations - Please help!

Postby Apoca1ypse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:24 pm

I am in desperate need for shoe recommendations as I am new to the world of cleats. I have very broad feet and a narrow heel. I bought a pair of Shimano M077's a few years ago, and while they felt fine in the shop, after 15 mins on a bike I was in crippling pain. I packed away the shoes and forgot all about them until recently.

Today I went to a bike shop, and the widest they had was a Shimano M089L. From what I can gather, I need between a 44 and a 46 for length in Shimano's sizing, but the 46 was still way too narrow in the middle. Also, toe space was fine, arch support felt decent, yet they felt a tad loose around the heel.

With that as a reference point, can anyone recommend some shoes to me? While I'd rather the versatility of MTB shoes, I'd just be happy with shoes that fit.

Zippy7

Re: Need Wide Shoe Recommendations - Please help!

Postby Zippy7 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:26 pm

FYI - Shimano do some wide fit shoes, and they are undersized compared to other brands.

Try a wide fitting Lake - some mates have them and swear by them.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:44 pm

There is a recent-ish thread on wider fitting shoes here on BNA

here :- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92356&p=1377655#p1377655

Sidi have a 'Mega' fit in some of their range (both MTB and road shoes) which is truly wide.

Lake standard fits are also a bit wider than many other brands standard fits and lake also have their own special wide fit models too.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Apoca1ypse

Postby Apoca1ypse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Zippy7 wrote:FYI - Shimano do some wide fit shoes, and they are undersized compared to other brands.

Try a wide fitting Lake - some mates have them and swear by them.
Cheers for the tip about Lake. I'll look into it.
open roader wrote:There is a recent-ish thread on wider fitting shoes here on BNA

here :- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92356&p=1377655#p1377655

Sidi have a 'Mega' fit in some of their range (both MTB and road shoes) which is truly wide.

Lake standard fits are also a bit wider than many other brands standard fits and lake also have their own special wide fit models too.
Cheers for the heads up. That thread didnt appear when I tried my (evidently bad) google-fu. Sounds like Sidi Mega stuff is what I'll need if the Lakes dont cut it. Now to hopefully find a place in Canberra that stocks them so I can try.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi Apoca1ypse.
Search for Shimano shoes with a w in the size. It doesn't stand for white as some think. I have them in 47 wide and they are narrow but ok. I reckon to better suit the pedals and some are a compromise.
I think that a 47w would equate to a Aus size twelve yet my standard shoes would be a 10.
I would not buy off the internet if you need a wide fit. I also found many stores simply don't stock them either.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:43 am

Shimano seem to have very narrow shoes. SIDI are expensive and had to find to try (in my area anyway). I'm in same boat. Size 7 / 41 feet but very wide. I use specialized shoes Taho MTB shoes (but I do take them to local shoe guy and get stretched/widened) the road shoes I've got were OK. Good luck find a pair.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:35 am

I had zero luck finding any shops in Canberra with wide fitting shoes in stock. I ended up buying online - if you pay with Paypal, then you can claim the return shipping from them. I bought 2 sets (Bont and Lake - both wide fit) from Bike Bug and returned the pair which were no good - I kept the Lake's in the end as the Bont's were too long and weren't available my exact size so I tried the next closest. Also measure you foot (length and width) and then look up the Bont sizing charts - they are the only company which actually provides width ranges for their shoes, which is really useful.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I have had a few things to do with Paypal and had negative results ,many communications, and it was always my good self left in the lurch. I hope you do better.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Apoca1ypse

Postby Apoca1ypse » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:00 pm

nickdos wrote:Also measure you foot (length and width) and then look up the Bont sizing charts - they are the only company which actually provides width ranges for their shoes, which is really useful.
That is super useful, thankyou :)

owly

Postby owly » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:01 pm

You must have purchased the Lake 3XX or 4XX series, with the heat-mouldable heel, if you have a narrow heel, right?
(narrow heel here myself, and the CX237 had heel lift).
MUFC :twisted:

Apoca1ypse

Postby Apoca1ypse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 pm

I tried some Sidis and they were not suitable sadly. On the plus side I learned that I have 6E feet...

I'm saving up to try a pair of Lakes but it's slow going with life being what it is.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:04 pm

I normally wear sidi's (and have had shimano and nike and answer in the past. I also have some northwaves and they are much much wider than all the rest.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

mav

Postby mav » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Lake, Northwave and Bont make wide shoes. I've owned all three brands for that reason.

owly

Postby owly » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 am

Don't understand the Northwave comment. In standard fit, they're narrower (shape cuts back around the toes) at the front than Shimano.

My example being Sonic vs RP5.
MUFC :twisted:

mav

Postby mav » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm 46 wide with Bonts. Northwave (Italian sizing) 47 fits just as well.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Dunno, I got some northwaves in the same size as my sidi and hey were huge, so huge I swapped down a size and they are still much wider than my sidi's (and any other cycling shoe i've owned).

Also you're talking road shoes, we're (OP) talking mtb shoes... maybe thats the difference...
owly wrote:Don't understand the Northwave comment. In standard fit, they're narrower (shape cuts back around the toes) at the front than Shimano.
My example being Sonic vs RP5.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex