Gentle coastal ride from Melbourne to Sydney

Mouse9

Gentle coastal ride from Melbourne to Sydney

Postby Mouse9 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 pm

We're coming from Scotland for the first time for our son's wedding to an Australian girl on 27th October which is near Melbourne. Once we've recovered we'd like to cycle to Sydney and will be bringing our bikes which are Giant hybrids.

We've done a fair bit of cycle touring in various countries but we're in our sixties, aim to do only 30-40 miles a day, not more than about 45, and would like ideally to stop each night somewhere we could swim in the sea. We won't have tents so would need to find accommodation as we go along. We don't have a budget as such and are of what you might call average means.

We've read that the scenery might be better inland and it would probably be more direct so we're not entirely ruling that out but we'd prefer to start and finish each day with a swim.

Any advice re route and places to stop/stay would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and kind regards,

Mouse9

Derny Driver

Re: Gentle coastal ride from Melbourne to Sydney

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 am

Tough ask.
You don't want to go inland - towns are too far apart and the heat and boredom will kill you. The East coast is the way to go. You do realise its about 600 miles (1000km) and you will need around 16 days to do it. Theres plenty of towns along the way but paying for accommodation will be expensive.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 pm

I doubt the inland scenery would be better, but that depends on your tastes I suppose. I suggest you stick to the coastal route.

Despite its name, the NSW Coastal Cycle Trail continues as far as Melbourne.

Use the WikiCamps app to find accommodation. Since you are on a budget, caravan park cabins and backpacker hostels will be the most affordable options.

Better still, join Warmshowers, get the app, and take advantage of willing hosts along the way
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:43 pm

I can tell you a bit about my neck of the woods. I'm a little over half way from Melbourne to Sydney at a town called Merimbula in NSW.

If you come the coast way, then your 45 mile (70 km) maximum will work out OK. For example it would get you from Lakes Entrance to Orbost, then Cann River, Genoa, Eden. They are each between 60-70km apart. Not much swimming to be had apart from Lakes Entrance though until you get to Eden.

Once you get to Eden, you will be travelling through coastal towns most of the way up to Sydney. I'd suggest stopping a night in Merimbula, even though it is only 30km from Eden, because it's a nice place to rest up and you will need it after riding up through Cann River to Eden. Then you can take the coast road off the highway up through Tathra to Bermagui (74km), then back onto the highway to Moruya (78km) where you can get off the highway again to Bateman's Bay via Broulee. There are a couple more places further north where you can go the scenic route and plenty of beaches.

I don't think I'd call it a gentle ride though! There are a fair few tough climbs in there that you'll have to contend with. And a lot of highway with heavy traffic. October is a bit early for the peak but it still gets pretty busy north of here.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Mouse9

Postby Mouse9 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:49 am

Thank you all very much.

To be honest don't really know what to do. Have discovered weather is likely to be cooler than 27° we were initially advised and there could be quite a bit of rain.

Without the swimming it could still be a good ride but might not be best use of our time in Australia.

We can't come all that way and just go to the wedding.

Have considered taking the bikes to the east or west coasts but when you get far enough north for it to be hot enough to swim jellyfish would seem be a problem and the sea would probably be too rough.

Heading north to Alice Springs doesn't have the accommodation stops.

Can't imagine how this sounds.

M9

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:31 am

Just stick to you original suggestion - cycle up the coast.

November is late spring here - it's an ideal time for cycle touring before the heat of summer.

Surely you don't think Australian weather could possibly be worse than Scottish weather. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 am

Just keep in mind, in Australia the distances between places are probably a fair bit more than in Scotland.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 am

RonK wrote:I doubt the inland scenery would be better, but that depends on your tastes I suppose. I suggest you stick to the coastal route.

Despite its name, the NSW Coastal Cycle Trail continues as far as Melbourne.

Use the WikiCamps app to find accommodation. Since you are on a budget, caravan park cabins and backpacker hostels will be the most affordable options.

Better still, join Warmshowers, get the app, and take advantage of willing hosts along the way
Caravan park cabins these days are priced in the budget motels range ($100 upwards per night) but the advantage over motels is that the cabins have cooking facilities so you can self cater.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:44 am

Mouse9 wrote:We're coming from Scotland for the first time for our son's wedding to an Australian girl on 27th October which is near Melbourne. Once we've recovered we'd like to cycle to Sydney and will be bringing our bikes which are Giant hybrids.

We've done a fair bit of cycle touring in various countries but we're in our sixties, aim to do only 30-40 miles a day, not more than about 45, and would like ideally to stop each night somewhere we could swim in the sea. We won't have tents so would need to find accommodation as we go along. We don't have a budget as such and are of what you might call average means.

We've read that the scenery might be better inland and it would probably be more direct so we're not entirely ruling that out but we'd prefer to start and finish each day with a swim.

Any advice re route and places to stop/stay would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and kind regards,

Mouse9
You could just stay in Victoria. Get the train from Melbourne to Warrnambool, take a day trip to Port Fairy (good YHA there) then return along the Great Oceam Road to Melbourne then continue east to Bairnsdale and get the train back to Melbourne. The waters in Vicroria are cold for swimming but coming from Scotland it may not be a concern for you!

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/oceania/
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 am

If I was you I would hire a camper van, throw the bikes in it, and then drive to some of the wonderful beach-side places dotted along the coast between eastern Victoria and Sydney. Stay for a day or two and do some day rides. Pick your places and there are some excellent rides to be had. Go further north, there are some great swimming beaches north of Sydney. The water is warming up in November, still a bit cool where I am but I know people who swim all year round.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Both Mike'a and SilentC's suggestions are very good. I have no idea what it costs but If a campervan is too expensive then perhaps a rental station wagon (estate) or hatch and car based camping would do.

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Blow that...
Come down to Tassie!!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Mike Ayling wrote: Caravan park cabins these days are priced in the budget motels range ($100 upwards per night) but the advantage over motels is that the cabins have cooking facilities so you can self cater.
That is my experience here in the west. I tend to go with motels now as they are more likely to be cheaper and often I can book through http://Booking.com which can provide a hassle-free way to cancel or change dates.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 pm

October-November? Melbourne?

1. Go up to the north, through our goldfields, and maybe even over to the Grampians (not very much like the UK Grampians), then Port Fairy for a loop back to Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road. You should be able to find caravan park cabins and reasonably-priced B&Bs in many of the larger towns along the route; they will be cheaper than along the coast, and motels are *horribly* sterile places. Oct-Nov is a great time for wildflowers in the bush, and you will see more up this region than along the coast

2. Head further north, into southern NSW to areas like Bathurst, Hill End, Sofala. A little bit drier and on the route to Sydney.

The East Coast route along the Princes Hwy does not go very close to the actual coast very much at all. Do NOT be swayed by this, especially in October. Our waters are damn cold that early in spring.

Mouse9

Postby Mouse9 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 am

Thank you all very much. A little disappointed by the 'damned cold waters' but it is Australia and there will be plenty to do.

Margot paints and will love the galleries. She also has cousins in Brisbane so we're thinking now of cycling part of the route from Melbourne to Sydney, a chunk of the highway from Sydney to Brisbane, where I believe there's a parallel cycle path (?) and then maybe a loop north along the coast from Brisbane and back round inland.

Takes a lot of research...

Thanks again

M9