Need a HS-3 halogen bulb. Where to buy?

tmac100

Need a HS-3 halogen bulb. Where to buy?

Postby tmac100 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:03 am

Now I am in Doha Qatar, but arrive in MEL on June 16th. Any idea where I can get one of these bulbs for my 2012 B&M Lumotec dynamo-driven headlight on my Brompton. Cannot find one here in Doha. SjSCycles can ship from UK, but postage = cost of the bulb....
TIA for info.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Need a HS-3 halogen bulb. Where to buy?

Postby Duck! » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 am

Try any automotive parts shop - Repco, Autobarn etc; HS3 is reasonably commonly used in car lighting.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:44 am

This HS-3 bulb Is 6 v. Auto electronics are 12 v..

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 am

Dynamo lights are a bit of a niche product in Australia. In Melbourne I would suggest trying St Kilda cycles https://stkildacycles.com.au or Abbotsford cycles https://abbotsfordcycles.com.au. While the bulbs are not listed on their websites, they may still have some or know where to get them.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Have you tried Jaycar?

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:Dynamo lights are a bit of a niche product in Australia. In Melbourne I would suggest trying St Kilda cycles https://stkildacycles.com.au or Abbotsford cycles https://abbotsfordcycles.com.au. While the bulbs are not listed on their websites, they may still have some or know where to get them.
Thanks for this, find_bruce. Abbotsford has none. I await a reply from SKC. No big rush as I am riding my Brompton here in Doha, Qatar carefully with no light. No bulbs available here, and since I will be bicycle touring in OZ June - Aug, figured I could get a 6v HS-3 in OZ. Time will tell... but the headlight is compact and gives off a lot of light - when the bulb works :roll:

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:52 pm

We are used to having to order everything online here, often international, so you will probably just have to do that. 25 million spread over the size of entire USA or EU is a hard market to cover with local stores.

Australia Post has a Parcel Collect system where you can register a virtual address at most post offices anywhere in the country and collect from there. So that will be useful if you are traveling around for some time. May be some ID hassles with passport ID, I'm not sure.
Beware that's for world postal partners only, not most couriers.

Get yourself a basic battery led light, from $10. It is generally law that you must have lights after sunset.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Thank you, for this extra info. Yes, Australia is a huge country spread out over the size of the USA, or EU is quite the sight(s) to see. That is why I have been living and touring occasionally since 1971. A very safe country for touring in the outback.

Back in June to do Cape York - but only in the daylight :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Personally I would take the opportunity to switch to an LED, but ymmv.

Are you running a rear light & need the 2.4w version or not & want the 3w version. I am about to place an order with bike24 and can get the 2.4w for €2.10 or the 3w for €3.28. Will need to get them to you in Melbourne, but plenty of time for that
Anything you can do, I can do slower

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for this help. However ....
I can get the bulb sent to me from SJSCycles in UK to here in Qatar for the same price as St. Kilda Cycles sells it in Melbourne. AusPost costs double that SKC price Now that is the price of 2 nice beers in Young and Jacksons!!. Better to get the bulb from UK, bicycle here and then come to OZ - and have a beer (AT) Y & J. :roll:

Then of course there is another complication. My Brompton has a battery powered tail light (also dead) that switches on when the headlight is on. As I have new B&M rear lights purchased from Bike 24, I may just change the hybrid rear light and go dynamo all the way. With time it makes sense to switch to LED lighting, but now it is cheaper to get a HS-3 bulb and use what I have. Here in Doha, at 28C during the day it is still great for bicycling :D

Onward...

AliC

Postby AliC » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:47 pm

St Kilda Cycles still has a few of the HS3 6V 2.4W bulbs as of June 2021. $10 + $8 to ship within Australia.
But, Dorcy has advised that it should be possible to upgrade to an LED using their D1644 40 Lumen LED bulb, widely available (eg Amazon for ~$6).
www.dorcypacific.com.au