Research to rebuild a 1949 Massey

Cowtown B

Research to rebuild a 1949 Massey

Postby Cowtown B » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:28 pm

I've recently taken possession on my father's Massey 28" bike he was given as a 14 y/old which would make it 1949. He tells it was bought new in Brisbane for 20 quid - which would equate to a weeks wages.

I'm looking to restore it as faithfully as I can to the original - its in pretty bad shape having sat under a dank house for near on 40 years. Components are all there - just rusty. My dad says the seat is not original as he didnt like what it came with and my brother absconded with the upturned handlebars many years ago I am told. I will not be parting with the bike once it is restored rather, using it for historical rides and display.

Can anyone shed some/any information on the company and where I may find some information and photos to assist in the rebuild process, and or, access parts. I'm going to sandblast the frame to strip it bare and see where we go. I'm assuming I wont be able to source 28" inch rubber for the wheels.

From what paint is left and what I can recall seeing of it as a child, it was a two-tone green red combo. It is not a Massey Harris from what I can gather being a different company.

I've read through some of the threads on old bikes and looked at some sites but no information has come to light as yet - apart from a 1938 article in the Brisbane Telegraph of the day. But article is no help.

Any assistance would be appreciated and any information I gather in the process i am happy to share including pics.

P!N20

Re: Research to rebuild a 1949 Massey

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Let's see some pics!

Mods: please move to the retro section.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Cowtown B wrote:I've recently taken possession on my father's Massey 28" bike he was given as a 14 y/old which would make it 1949.
nice to keep it in the family

As per the suggestion by P!N20 I have moved the thread to the retro forum. I have quoted you so you should get a notification directing you to the changes location
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Cowtown B

Postby Cowtown B » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks.

Hanging up in garage currently and will post up a 'current condition' pic soon.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am

Such a worthwhile project. Best wishes but I'm sorry I can't help with your investigation. Only my encouragement.