Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:21 am

I have previously posted about a possible ride out to the Helena and Aurora Range but cannot find the thread. For various reasons the planned ride got put off for a couple of years but I know hope to do in around July/August this year,

Anyway I am tossing choice of bike options (Salsa Mukluk fatbike or my Surly Long Haul Trucker) and wonder if anyone has any experience of the roads from Bullfinch up to Mt Jackson Homestead/across to the Helena and Aurora Range and the back to Southern Cross.

I found one trip report which gives some idea but if any one has any information with a riding perspective in mind I am all eyes.

Image

Trevtassie
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:57 am

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm

I worked out that way in the late 1980s early 90s. From my recollection, you wouldn't need a fat bike in most places, but the fattest tyres you could fit on the LHT would be good. Wide mix of reasonable sand, gravel etc, tubeless or flat proof would be useful, lot of double gees in places. Not sure what's happening with all the bores etc. Even back then they were being decommissioned when the de-stocking was going on so water might be a problem if it doesn't rain.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Trevtassie wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm
I worked out that way in the late 1980s early 90s. From my recollection, you wouldn't need a fat bike in most places, but the fattest tyres you could fit on the LHT would be good. Wide mix of reasonable sand, gravel etc, tubeless or flat proof would be useful, lot of double gees in places. Not sure what's happening with all the bores etc. Even back then they were being decommissioned when the de-stocking was going on so water might be a problem if it doesn't rain.

Thanks. I will give the Surly more thought. It is the cheaper option too as I don't need get a new fork or a new Extrawheel trailer to go with the fatbike.

I will be assuming no water and will carry sufficient to get me from Bullfinch back to Southern Cross; around 30 litres should be enough.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:15 pm

Found this video which gives a good idea of the track at the Range. It gets a bit more interesting around the 7 minute mark ...

https://youtu.be/fyfoCfblziw

clog
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby clog » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:59 am

Hi Andrew,

I have been thinking about doing such a trip for some time myself.
I wasn't sure about the road conditions between Koolyanobbing and the Helena Aurora Range.
Having viewed the video I know some more.
I had been hoping to do it around about this time. However the virus stopped that.
Maybe spring time is now a good option.
I would be taking my Surly with an extrawheel due to the water need.

Cheers Rikus Kaijer.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:42 pm

clog wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:59 am
Hi Andrew,

I have been thinking about doing such a trip for some time myself.
I wasn't sure about the road conditions between Koolyanobbing and the Helena Aurora Range.
Having viewed the video I know some more.
I had been hoping to do it around about this time. However the virus stopped that.
Maybe spring time is now a good option.
I would be taking my Surly with an extrawheel due to the water need.

Cheers Rikus Kaijer.
Great to hear from your Rikus and cool to hear you are planning a trip out there. Starting from Perth or closer to the ranges?

I will be coming from Perth but once I get to Bullfinch I will load up with water to get me up to the Mt Jackson Homestead, across to the ranges and then on to Southern Cross.

I am taking my Salsa Mukluk which will have a rack attached with two small front panniers. That combination with 10 litres in each pannier and six across the top in a Sea to Summit bladder plus my normal water bottles/bladder should just give me enough. No room for error but so may have to look at how I can carry a bit more.

clog
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby clog » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi Andrew,

Yes I too am planning to ride from Perth via the Heritage Trail and Kep track to Northam.
Then through the wheat belt and some rocky outcrops to Southern Cross.
Hope to pick up water at Koolyanobbing. Any idea if this is possible?
On the way back I plan to take the train from Southern Cross.

Cheers Rikus.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:52 pm

From what I can gather Mineral Resources have an iron ore processing hub at Koolyanobbing.

No public toilets according to the toilet map, Wikicamps is just showing a mining camp as a point of interest.

I suspect you could get water from the mining camp but.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:08 pm

JJ's Adventures has been out this way in June 2020 so it provides a good idea of the road conditions.


User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:05 pm


clog
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby clog » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks Andrew for posting these video's.
Good info.

Cheers Rikus.

clog
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby clog » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 am

Hi Andrew,

Have you done your trip to the Helana Aurora Range?
I have just come back.

Cheers Rikus.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 22398
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Walyalup land
Contact:

Re: Helena and Aurora Range - Mt Jackson Homestead

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 pm

clog wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 am
Hi Andrew,

Have you done your trip to the Helana Aurora Range?
I have just come back.

Cheers Rikus.
Hi Rikus

No I haven't. Life got in the road this winter so had to put it on hold for now. How did you find the experience? Any pointers?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users