2019 Cycling Fatalities

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:04 pm

Scott_C wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:47 am
In addition to the fatality in Richmond earlier this morning another cyclist has been killed in a hit and run incident in Horsham, Vic:
https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/655 ... t-horsham/
I believe that was Liam Batson, whose killer has now been found guilty of "dangerous driving that led to the death". More from ABC news here Jury finds South Australian B-double truck driver guilty over fatal collision with Horsham cyclist.

On a positive note the "he came out of nowhere" defence was rejected and the prosecutor was reported as saying
"It's not a cyclist's job to stay out of the way of other vehicles" and there was "nothing inappropriate" about Mr Batson's riding that could have contributed to the collision,
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
uart
Posts: 3214
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby uart » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:45 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:04 pm
On a positive note the "he came out of nowhere" defence was rejected
Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch to describe someone travelling in the same direction as yourself, and in front of you, as "coming out of nowhere".

brumby33
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Location: Albury NSW on the mighty Murray River

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby brumby33 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:50 pm

I'm really cheesed off that lately there's been a number of Deaths lately around this Country whether they be cyclists or pedestrians and they've just been left for dead with the driver doing a runner without stopping.
For me, this tells me that they know they weren't supposed to be behind the wheel in the first place so driving illegally in the first place before anything else, mostly it's because they are already unlicensed, disqualified or under the influence of a drug or alcohol, I mean in most cases what else could it be?
I lost my confidence in the human race when I learn that someone hit someone with a motor vehicle and just drove off without at least checking on their welfare. Are people really becoming that insensitive?
The laws of this Country really need to stop being so bloomin' Woke and charge these AS5 hats with 20 years behind bars for voluntary manslaughter.....the voluntary part comes into it when they decide to keep going without stopping to check what or whom they've hit and leave them to die.

Maybe the only way to get proper sentencing is to become a republic so none of any judging in any state or Territory in Australia becomes the responsibility of the Queens/ Kings Council and that we here in Australia set out own levels of judiciary.

If it was me, I'd bring back the chain gangs out in the middle of nowhere chipping rocks with a pick like they did in the old days....Prison systems have become way too soft.

anyway...there's my feelings on it.....sorry for rant!!
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:43 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:50 pm
Are people really becoming that insensitive?
This is not new: the local laws have had (presumably through a recognised need) a requirement to stop and render assistance since the Road Traffic Act was first written in 1974 (FYI sect. 54. (6))

I sincerely doubt that was the first act to include such a provision.
brumby33 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:50 pm
I lost my confidence in the human race ….
Rx: one of The Red Hand Files, daily, while symptoms persist.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 14863
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:00 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:50 pm
I'm really cheesed off that lately there's been a number of Deaths lately around this Country whether they be cyclists or pedestrians and they've just been left for dead with the driver doing a runner without stopping.
For me, this tells me that they know they weren't supposed to be behind the wheel in the first place so driving illegally in the first place before anything else, mostly it's because they are already unlicensed, disqualified or under the influence of a drug or alcohol, I mean in most cases what else could it be?
I lost my confidence in the human race when I learn that someone hit someone with a motor vehicle and just drove off without at least checking on their welfare. Are people really becoming that insensitive?
The laws of this Country really need to stop being so bloomin' Woke and charge these AS5 hats with 20 years behind bars for voluntary manslaughter.....the voluntary part comes into it when they decide to keep going without stopping to check what or whom they've hit and leave them to die.

Maybe the only way to get proper sentencing is to become a republic so none of any judging in any state or Territory in Australia becomes the responsibility of the Queens/ Kings Council and that we here in Australia set out own levels of judiciary.

If it was me, I'd bring back the chain gangs out in the middle of nowhere chipping rocks with a pick like they did in the old days....Prison systems have become way too soft.

anyway...there's my feelings on it.....sorry for rant!!
I'm with you.

Why waste the money on jail.

A daily wire brush and dettol would do the trick ....

Plenty of people to volunteer to deliver the treatment


User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 4051
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm
Location: Wurundjeri Country

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby P!N20 » Thu May 04, 2023 7:33 pm

Truck driver Amala Paulson given three-year prison term over fatal collision with Horsham cyclist Liam Batson

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-04/ ... /102303428

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10613
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 04, 2023 7:36 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:33 pm
Truck driver Amala Paulson given three-year prison term over fatal collision with Horsham cyclist Liam Batson

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-04/ ... /102303428
Interesting - it's the first time I have seen a judge treat Sorry Mate I didn't See You as increasing the drivers culpability - finding "The opportunity you had to see him was over a significant time and distance as you approached,"
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby zebee » Fri May 05, 2023 5:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:36 pm
P!N20 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:33 pm
Truck driver Amala Paulson given three-year prison term over fatal collision with Horsham cyclist Liam Batson

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-04/ ... /102303428
Interesting - it's the first time I have seen a judge treat Sorry Mate I didn't See You as increasing the drivers culpability - finding "The opportunity you had to see him was over a significant time and distance as you approached,"
Maybe I'm just a cynical sod but I reckon being trans was a big mark against her. Everything else about her - good driving record, good character references - are a reason to be hit with a feather as we have seen so many times and will again.

Zebee

User avatar
redsonic
Posts: 1778
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby redsonic » Fri May 05, 2023 6:11 pm

They are going to appeal the sentence. It looked like the prosecutor was on his game. In answer to another truck driver who said Liam Batson was hard to see and riding too far right:
Prosecutor Andrew McKenry told the court Paulson had at least 30 seconds to see Mr Batson and pass him safely as she was driving on a straight road on a clear day with good visibility.

"Any driver maintaining a proper lookout must've seen that cyclist," he said.

He said that indicated "prolonged inattention" but the defence argued that was speculation.

"It's not a cyclist's job to stay out of the way of other vehicles" and there was "nothing inappropriate" about Mr Batson's riding that could have contributed to the collision, Mr McKenny told the court.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: thamete