Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby kilroy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:19 am

Hey guys, I'm after a cheapish set of TLR/TLC carbon wheels (disc centrelock / thru axle) for my Specialized Roubaix. I'm finding the DT Swiss alloy wheels very sluggish up any sort of hill. The bike is about a kg heavier than my old Domane, but it feels 5kg heavier on climbs. I'm after something lower profile (40mm or less).

My budget is around $1000-$1200 so I'm looking for a decent used wheelset that weighs in at ~1550g or less. I've been looking on Facebook Marketplace and the most common ones are Roval (Alpinist series), Giant (SLR 1) and Bontrager Aeolus (Pro 3/37v). Just after opinions on the reliability of the three mentioned or any other candidates I should be looking at. I'm on the South Coast of NSW over Xmas and I was hoping to pick up a set while I'm there. I'm also open to suggestions on other brands readily available second hand and anything I should be looking at when picking up a set.

Any opinions or pointers would be appreciated.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

blizzard
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:56 am

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby blizzard » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am

Rival would match your bike. Both them and the Bontrager use DT Swiss internals, which means most shops will have spares.

I would also consider getting a set of Farsports or Light Bicycle wheels with DT350 hubs around 40mm - 50mm and ~1400g form a little bit more.

warthog1
Posts: 14380
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 am

Giant may well be hookless. Newer ones are I believe
I have some hookless Light Bicycle WR50 with dt350 hubs. Happy with them as they are wide (25int 32ext) and run a minimum 28c tyre due to the width. 55psi at my 76kg is heaps on the front and same at the rear with a larger 32c tyre.
If the wheels are narrower and you are heavier more pressure may be required making hookless less desirable imo.
Deeper wheels are free speed though. Less about the weight and more about the aero. 10s of thousands of ks on 50 mm deep rims. Wind simply is not an issue for me at that depth.

Agree on the farsports wheels. A bit cheaper than Light Bicycle. Should be able to spec a new set at your budget. https://www.wheelsfar.com/
MrPurple has some I believe and is happy.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby kilroy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:17 am

blizzard wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am
Rival would match your bike. Both them and the Bontrager use DT Swiss internals, which means most shops will have spares.

I would also consider getting a set of Farsports or Light Bicycle wheels with DT350 hubs around 40mm - 50mm and ~1400g form a little bit more.
I did see a set of Farsports for around the $1300 mark but they did not have the DT Swiss hubs. Very light though - 1240g. Thanks, I'll add them to the list.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby kilroy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:21 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 am
Giant may well be hookless. Newer ones are I believe
I have some hookless Light Bicycle WR50 with dt350 hubs. Happy with them as they are wide (25int 32ext) and run a minimum 28c tyre due to the width. 55psi at my 76kg is heaps on the front and same at the rear with a larger 32c tyre.
If the wheels are narrower and you are heavier more pressure may be required making hookless less desirable imo.
Deeper wheels are free speed though. Less about the weight and more about the aero. 10s of thousands of ks on 50 mm deep rims. Wind simply is not an issue for me at that depth.

Agree on the farsports wheels. A bit cheaper than Light Bicycle. Should be able to spec a new set at your budget. https://www.wheelsfar.com/
MrPurple has some I believe and is happy.
Thanks, I'm 85-88kg at the moment, so maybe I should avoid hookless? Thanks for the info.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

blizzard
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:56 am

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby blizzard » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:42 am

kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:17 am
blizzard wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am
Rival would match your bike. Both them and the Bontrager use DT Swiss internals, which means most shops will have spares.

I would also consider getting a set of Farsports or Light Bicycle wheels with DT350 hubs around 40mm - 50mm and ~1400g form a little bit more.
I did see a set of Farsports for around the $1300 mark but they did not have the DT Swiss hubs. Very light though - 1240g. Thanks, I'll add them to the list.
One thing with Farsports is their Wheelsfar website is pretty bad to use, and compare rim specs. I would watch out for the rim width, they have a lot of narrow rims in their range. I would be looking at minimum 28mm external rims to play nicer with wider tyres.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:49 am

blizzard wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am
I would also consider getting a set of Farsports or Light Bicycle wheels with DT350 hubs around 40mm - 50mm and ~1400g form a little bit more.
i bought the farsports feder with dt240s. under 1300g. close to the best wheels i've ever ridden

warthog1
Posts: 14380
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:21 am

^^Nice.

I don't mind the sound of these in a 42mm depth.
https://www.wheelsfar.com/revo-road-dis ... p0146.html
30mm wide ext and no holes in the rim bed 1445gm with dt350 hubs.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 7009
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:47 am

jasonc wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:49 am
blizzard wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am
I would also consider getting a set of Farsports or Light Bicycle wheels with DT350 hubs around 40mm - 50mm and ~1400g form a little bit more.
i bought the farsports feder with dt240s. under 1300g. close to the best wheels i've ever ridden
I have the same rim but with DT350s (the new version with 36T ratchet and some weight loss). Very happy with this Farsports wheelset.

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby kilroy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm

The Farsports look good. Are we up for GST when they land? There is something on the site about EU duty paid only.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:04 pm

kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm
The Farsports look good. Are we up for GST when they land? There is something on the site about EU duty paid only.
sent you a PM

2wheels_mond
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 6:17 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:48 pm

kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm
The Farsports look good. Are we up for GST when they land? There is something on the site about EU duty paid only.
I recently bought some FarSports wheels - 50mm deep, 24mm int / 30mm ext width, DT 350 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, 1396g, very happy with them! Tubeless setup was very easy - I ordered with a sealed rim bed so no tape was needed either.

Total cost including shipping was $849 USD (currently $1260 AUD). I recommend contacting them via WhatsApp to organise the sale - easier than going through the website.
Last edited by 2wheels_mond on Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby kilroy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:55 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:48 pm
kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm
The Farsports look good. Are we up for GST when they land? There is something on the site about EU duty paid only.
I recently bought some FarSports wheels - 50mm deep, 24mm int / 30mm ext width, DT 350 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, 1396g, very happy with them! Tubeless setup was very easy - I ordered with a sealed rim bed so no tape was needed either.

Wow, sounds pretty damn good. How long did it take to get the wheels?
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

2wheels_mond
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 6:17 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:16 pm

kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:55 pm
2wheels_mond wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:48 pm
kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm
The Farsports look good. Are we up for GST when they land? There is something on the site about EU duty paid only.
I recently bought some FarSports wheels - 50mm deep, 24mm int / 30mm ext width, DT 350 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, 1396g, very happy with them! Tubeless setup was very easy - I ordered with a sealed rim bed so no tape was needed either.

Wow, sounds pretty damn good. How long did it take to get the wheels?
Ordered 29 September, posted 25 October (there was an 8-day Chinese holiday 'golden week' period during that time), passed customs in Sydney 2 November, delivered in Tasmania 6 November (2 business days).

User avatar
Retrobyte
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:41 pm

Another happy Farsports owner here. Less than a month from ordering to delivery. Trouble free wheelset after 2 years of riding. Despite the website being ordinary, they are really good via email if you have questions or need specifics.
Last edited by Retrobyte on Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:23 pm

I wouldn't be mentioning the gst status in an open forum. It may impact others

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 9871
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby Duck! » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 pm

blizzard wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am
Rival would match your bike. Both them and the Bontrager use DT Swiss internals, which means most shops will have spares.
The Giant wheels mentioned up the page also use DT hub guts. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 9871
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby Duck! » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:04 pm

Also take a look at Carbonal, another, less well-known Chinese manufacturer. I've only bought rims from them and done my own builds, but they also offer complete wheels to a variety of specs. The rims I've built with (both for my own use and for others) have been faultless.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 7009
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:57 am

jasonc wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:23 pm
I wouldn't be mentioning the gst status in an open forum. It may impact others
Exactly. It drives me crazy when people do it on here.

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby kilroy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:41 am

Duck! wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 pm
blizzard wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:14 am
Rival would match your bike. Both them and the Bontrager use DT Swiss internals, which means most shops will have spares.
The Giant wheels mentioned up the page also use DT hub guts. :)
Yeah, I see several of the SLR 1's under $1400 and they are quite light at a smidge over 1400g.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

kilroy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Riverina, NSW

Re: Reliable used carbon disc wheelset recommendations

Postby kilroy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:43 am

Duck! wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:04 pm
Also take a look at Carbonal, another, less well-known Chinese manufacturer. I've only bought rims from them and done my own builds, but they also offer complete wheels to a variety of specs. The rims I've built with (both for my own use and for others) have been faultless.
I was looking at their website and was wow'd by the prices until I saw they were in USD with no option to change to AUD. Seem comparable in price and specs to the Farsports.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users