2024 10,000 km+ Club

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21420
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:44 pm

ningnangnong wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:39 pm
g-boaf, those are incredible numbers, well done. I would be surprised, but I remember how many kms you were doing prior to your accident - an insane amount.

What do you do for recovery? Do you have rest days? Share some of your secrets!

Just easy days, try to eat well - keep enough protein, stretching. The stretching is really important now.

I just have to keep moving, if I don’t then I get very sore.

warthog1
Posts: 14376
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:53 pm

jasonc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:36 pm
1492kms with 18796m of up
Nice work Jason 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:56 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:53 pm
jasonc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:36 pm
1492kms with 18796m of up
Nice work Jason 8)
Less than half g-boaf... but I'm happy

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:09 pm

2009kms with 25466m of up

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21420
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:09 pm
2009kms with 25466m of up

Nice elevation!

I’m at 4100km and 52,160m+

I was at 260w today for almost 40 minutes, quite happy with that.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:12 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 pm
jasonc wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:09 pm
2009kms with 25466m of up

Nice elevation!

I’m at 4100km and 52,160m+

I was at 260w today for almost 40 minutes, quite happy with that.
coming from you who is over double me for elevation

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21420
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:27 am

jasonc wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:12 am
g-boaf wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 pm
jasonc wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:09 pm
2009kms with 25466m of up

Nice elevation!

I’m at 4100km and 52,160m+

I was at 260w today for almost 40 minutes, quite happy with that.
coming from you who is over double me for elevation
We are almost the same for elevation -v- distance though, that's what seems to matter in this topic.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:24 am

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:27 am
We are almost the same for elevation -v- distance though, that's what seems to matter in this topic.
you have to keep the elevation over 1% of distance

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21420
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:27 am

jasonc wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:24 am
g-boaf wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:27 am
We are almost the same for elevation -v- distance though, that's what seems to matter in this topic.
you have to keep the elevation over 1% of distance
Not easy around my area that's for sure. I wish it was easier to get over to the north side of Sydney - but I just hate riding on busy roads with very little cycling infrastructure.

warthog1
Posts: 14376
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:32 am

Unlikely to happen here either. Gravel ks have less elevation and I choose bitumen roads that are safer and less trafficked. Elevation is less important than not getting run over or close passed repetitively.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:28 pm
Location: 'The Cattery'.

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:44 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:32 am
Unlikely to happen here either. Gravel ks have less elevation and I choose bitumen roads that are safer and less trafficked. Elevation is less important than not getting run over or close passed repetitively.
Agree, totally. I have travelled pretty much every track and road in the Great Otway National Park over 40+ years where elevation picks up on the Deans Marsh side, undulates along ridgelines then falls on the coastal side, and one thing that continually makes an appearance in all weather is gravel riders coming at speed around corners — heading straight for the front end of my car! If cyclists think the Otways is a safe environment to ride at high speed, I must counter that with the number of accidents that have occurred, particularly on the winding, narrow Benwerrin-Mount Sabine Road, where gravel bulks and washouts, poor visibility (rain and fog) combine with the travesty of near-invisible cyclists dressed entirely in black! Lights on please guys! Always expect something coming around or stopped on the sweeping bend ahead that you may not hear, much less see.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:32 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:32 am
Unlikely to happen here either. Gravel ks have less elevation and I choose bitumen roads that are safer and less trafficked. Elevation is less important than not getting run over or close passed repetitively.
Weirdly I find the opposite around here - I struggle to do a gravel ride without getting 1000m elevation. And that's without any significant climbs - there just seem to be a lot of rolling firetrails around Brisbane so you rack up 1000m without particularly remembering any climbing.

Totally worth it for the lack of drama from motorists though. I think I've actually only had one near miss while riding on actual gravel and that was some moron in a Hilux doing 80 in a 50 zone around a blind downhill corner on the wrong side of the road. I find it surprising that someone would have multiple near misses with gravel bikes on gravel roads as above, but I honestly don't know your roads.

I agree with the comments about visible clothing though. Santini just sent me an advertisement for a new gravel jersey - the colour options are military green, dark brown or cream (which is actually grey). No thanks.

warthog1
Posts: 14376
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:24 pm

Yeah no close calls on gravel here. About 15k km of it so far. The absence of traffic and hence morons is one of the main draw cards.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21420
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:09 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:24 pm
Yeah no close calls on gravel here. About 15k km of it so far. The absence of traffic and hence morons is one of the main draw cards.
Fortunately we have reasonable paths around here that are quite fast (and not crowded) so you can get in some okay riding, just that getting elevation means doing a lot of repeats and loops. Yes I'd like to be riding over towards West Head and those areas but no, not with the traffic situation. I don't want to take those chances.

Even on my normal ride I will take a very steep and hilly way back to avoid a back road that is frequently used by people rat-running at high speed.

warthog1
Posts: 14376
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:09 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:24 pm
Yeah no close calls on gravel here. About 15k km of it so far. The absence of traffic and hence morons is one of the main draw cards.
Fortunately we have reasonable paths around here that are quite fast (and not crowded) so you can get in some okay riding, just that getting elevation means doing a lot of repeats and loops. Yes I'd like to be riding over towards West Head and those areas but no, not with the traffic situation. I don't want to take those chances.

Even on my normal ride I will take a very steep and hilly way back to avoid a back road that is frequently used by people rat-running at high speed.
Yep you take what is available. :)
Avoiding motorists is priority one.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mr Purple
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 pm

2,046km/31,591m.

63 KOMs. It's getting a bit silly again.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:51 pm

Another month, another 1000kms
2507kms with 32375m of up

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21420
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:11 pm

4960km with 62,827m+.

I had a 130km ride on the weekend which is the longest I've done in a while. I didn't end up in pain so hopefully that's the turning point and I can start getting in some longer rides than that. I'm working on getting my power back - intervals are a bit blah but they work.

warthog1
Posts: 14376
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:48 pm

Well over double my ks. Slow start to the year here. Had stuff on and missed a few rides.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1
Posts: 14376
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Bendigo

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:52 pm

2206k
22284m up
Slow start to the year for me.
Daughters car was crashed into and written off (she is fine) so the bank of Dad has added to her payout and got a new one. A lot of mucking around finding one, picking it up, getting a roadworthy and insurance. Rego tomorrow hopefully. Couldn't book a rego inspection until the 12th March so will just front up first thing tomorrow. If that fails we have to drive to Ballarat to do similar. :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AndrewCowley
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 am

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:56 pm

3,140 km with 44,800 m of elevation.

Solid start to the year.

jasonc
Posts: 12207
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:20 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:56 pm
3,140 km with 44,800 m of elevation.

Solid start to the year.
Very. Nice work
2826km with 36036m of up

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 21420
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:36 am

Both of you nice elevation percentages!

Mine will slip, I’m doing some interval training during the week to try and drag up the FTP. Hard work.

ningnangnong
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Bikini Atoll

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby ningnangnong » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:20 am

Everyone ^^^ is smashing it, love to see it! :)

2641km with 20,218m of up over here.

The last month has been a struggle with a lot more days than usual off the bike. I've been on annual leave where I was planning to do lots of riding, but ended up with pneumonia in the first week and subsequently felt like crap for week two of leave as well.

To compound things, some routine blood tests have revealed my haemoglobin levels are quite low. Here I was thinking I may be overdoing things.

Garnett1
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:35 pm
Location: Melbourne, Victoria

Re: 2024 10,000 km+ Club

Postby Garnett1 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:35 pm

YTD: 2091kms, Elev gain: 27,162 M.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chalkie, skyblot