Electric Trike Accident

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:32 pm

I had accident on Saturday with my trike on the Footpath as a car was coming out of the Drive way and i was just on the edge of the drive way when the car pulled out. I know it is illegal to ride on the Footpath i was also told this by the Police and i most certainly don't want to ride on the footpath either after this accident. Luckily i only sustained grazing and bruising my helmet, speed, and the trike definitely save me from injuries.

However i have no choice but to ride on the footpath because it comes down to practicality's. I live on a very busy road where i am sure if i got hit it would have been far worse than what happen on the footpath. Also this main road has no bike lanes. I am a disabled rider my right hand is deformed and my right arm is shorter than the left. Because of this i cant put my right hand on the right handlebar to push it. I can i reach the right handle bar but it is very awkward and i am on angle when pushing and it would very easy to loose control if i am walking down a hill. Walking up the hill would be impossible to push the trike because it is heavy.

So does anyone have suggestion on how i could walk with the trike safely and also get up the hill. You will need to think out of the square for this one.

zebee
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby zebee » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:32 pm

However i have no choice but to ride on the footpath because it comes down to practicality's. I live on a very busy road where i am sure if i got hit it would have been far worse than what happen on the footpath. Also this main road has no bike lanes. I am a disabled rider my right hand is deformed and my right arm is shorter than the left. Because of this i cant put my right hand on the right handlebar to push it. I can i reach the right handle bar but it is very awkward and i am on angle when pushing and it would very easy to loose control if i am walking down a hill. Walking up the hill would be impossible to push the trike because it is heavy.

So does anyone have suggestion on how i could walk with the trike safely and also get up the hill. You will need to think out of the square for this one.
This is an upright trike? Not a recumbent?

You say it is electric. Most motors have a throttle, for just this reason. If yours does then get it moved to the left so you can use it with your left hand standing on the left side of the bike. Any bike shop doing electric bikes should be able to extend the cable for you. If it doesn't have a throttle talk to your bike shop about options to fit one.

Going down is a bit harder. Fancy motors have regen but I presume yours does not? You may need some form of drag brake on both back wheels (if an upright) but working out how to do that is well beyond me! If you can't use your right hand then presumably you are braking with your left now? Is it that you don't have enough strength in the left hand to brake when needed, or is is that keeping it straight and braking the front wheel is too hard when you can't steady the right side?

If I was you I'd ride on the path at least down hill at walking pace and add a canopy to give you a lot more visibility. I don't have a pic of the one on my trike but this is what I use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005820019980.html
I have rejigged it some and beefed up the framework with pvc pipe as it moves a bit much at speed otherwise. Also on Ali Express are canopies for scooters (motorcycle type) that might work.

I found that I was a lot more visible using the canopy on my recumbent from all directions. You may find if you have one that road riding becomes more likely.

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:21 pm

zebee wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 pm
dbr wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:32 pm

However i have no choice but to ride on the footpath because it comes down to practicality's. I live on a very busy road where i am sure if i got hit it would have been far worse than what happen on the footpath. Also this main road has no bike lanes. I am a disabled rider my right hand is deformed and my right arm is shorter than the left. Because of this i cant put my right hand on the right handlebar to push it. I can i reach the right handle bar but it is very awkward and i am on angle when pushing and it would very easy to loose control if i am walking down a hill. Walking up the hill would be impossible to push the trike because it is heavy.

So does anyone have suggestion on how i could walk with the trike safely and also get up the hill. You will need to think out of the square for this one.
This is an upright trike? Not a recumbent?

You say it is electric. Most motors have a throttle, for just this reason. If yours does then get it moved to the left so you can use it with your left hand standing on the left side of the bike. Any bike shop doing electric bikes should be able to extend the cable for you. If it doesn't have a throttle talk to your bike shop about options to fit one.

Going down is a bit harder. Fancy motors have regen but I presume yours does not? You may need some form of drag brake on both back wheels (if an upright) but working out how to do that is well beyond me! If you can't use your right hand then presumably you are braking with your left now? Is it that you don't have enough strength in the left hand to brake when needed, or is is that keeping it straight and braking the front wheel is too hard when you can't steady the right side?

If I was you I'd ride on the path at least down hill at walking pace and add a canopy to give you a lot more visibility. I don't have a pic of the one on my trike but this is what I use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005820019980.html
I have rejigged it some and beefed up the framework with pvc pipe as it moves a bit much at speed otherwise. Also on Ali Express are canopies for scooters (motorcycle type) that might work.

I found that I was a lot more visible using the canopy on my recumbent from all directions. You may find if you have one that road riding becomes more likely.
Thank you for your reply. I have a stand up trike very well built and solid.Here it is here. https://cargocraft.com.au/products/heavyhaul-personal/
I do have throttle which cuts out if it goes over 6k which wont happen going up the hill which will be very slow. I would have get another throttle on the right side for walking as i am left handed. The problem going downhill is the brakes are on the left side so i wouldn't be able to control the speed.

User avatar
redsonic
Posts: 1778
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby redsonic » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:24 pm

Not sure what state you live in? In Qld, for example, riding on the footpath is legal.
It might be possible to get your trike declared a mobility device for use by you on the footpath. There has been some recent media about this; a fellow managed to get an exemption for his electric skateboard as it was his best means of mobility with his disability.
Worth investigating given your difficulties walking with the trike.

User avatar
Bunged Knee
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Location: Not drowning in Parramatta river yet

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:38 pm

From your post of Left hand shifter thread.
https://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopi ... 3#p1586403

Your trike had a removable thumb throttle on the left hand side.

Was it on your trike or not,then it should be put on as it will help to walk your trike uphill. This throttle is limited to 6kph.

ps, did you get another different e-trike or not....

At redsonic, he's in Victoria.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:38 pm
From your post of Left hand shifter thread.
https://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopi ... 3#p1586403

Your trike had a removable thumb throttle on the left hand side.

Was it on your trike or not,then it should be put on as it will help to walk your trike uphill. This throttle is limited to 6kph.

ps, did you get another different e-trike or not....

At redsonic, he's in Victoria.
Yes the throttle is on the left but i still need to use that if i am riding so i would need another on the right for walking. I have also contacted Vicroads to see if a exemption is available for the footpath. In the end if i do ride on the footpaths the cops are not going to do anything about it. What gets me is who ever made these laws think Children are immune to being hit by cars what happen to me could have happen to a child on the footpath and a lot of them go faster than me. I saw one child today no helmet and because of my experience i felt like going out asking him where is his helmet.

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:29 pm

redsonic wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:24 pm
Not sure what state you live in? In Qld, for example, riding on the footpath is legal.
It might be possible to get your trike declared a mobility device for use by you on the footpath. There has been some recent media about this; a fellow managed to get an exemption for his electric skateboard as it was his best means of mobility with his disability.
Worth investigating given your difficulties walking with the trike.
We are a bit behind in Victoria. However i have contacted to Vicroads to see if such a exemption exists.

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 7272
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:09 am

In this case, the law is an ass. Ride the footpath (slowly and safely) and in the unlikely instance you get some sort of fine challenge it in court. If you ride cautiously nd give way to oedestrians it's highly unlikely to come to a fine.

Its illegal to ride footpaths in NSW, but I choose to ride the footpath on my commute. It is far more dangerous riding in a narrow lane while cars have sun in their eyes. I only occasionally see a pedestrian on this stretch and always ride around them on the grass or sometimes hop onto the road if there's a break in traffic.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:59 am

bychosis wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:09 am
In this case, the law is an ass. Ride the footpath (slowly and safely) and in the unlikely instance you get some sort of fine challenge it in court. If you ride cautiously nd give way to oedestrians it's highly unlikely to come to a fine.

Its illegal to ride footpaths in NSW, but I choose to ride the footpath on my commute. It is far more dangerous riding in a narrow lane while cars have sun in their eyes. I only occasionally see a pedestrian on this stretch and always ride around them on the grass or sometimes hop onto the road if there's a break in traffic.
I go down to the bike path which isn't far from my home. But to get there i either have to use the main road which is dangerous or use the footpath. On the way back it is easier as i have a service road and then i have to use the footpath for the rest of the journey.

As you said the Law is a ass. But the cops don't enforce the footpath rules as they as they have other things to do.

And i love how the posties who are on motorbikes and are just as vulnerable are allowed to ride on the footpath and they don't go slow either.

User avatar
uart
Posts: 3214
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby uart » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:01 pm

bychosis wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:09 am
In this case, the law is an ass. Ride the footpath (slowly and safely)
^ Yes this. Cars coming out of driveways are always a risk when you're on the footpath, so you just have to ride at a speed that mitigates that. Given it's a short distance and at slow speed then the chances that the police will hassle you is less than being struck by lightning, so don't stress over it. Just keep doing what you've been doing, but with a little bit more caution around the driveways.

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:08 pm

I can work out why the driver never saw me. It a apartment complex and the drive is steep incline going into the underground car park. They should have a mirror near the footpath so they can see this should be mandatory with all steep drives.

zebee
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby zebee » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:56 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Yes the throttle is on the left but i still need to use that if i am riding so i would need another on the right for walking. I have also contacted Vicroads to see if a exemption is available for the footpath. In the end if i do ride on the footpaths the cops are not going to do anything about it. What gets me is who ever made these laws think Children are immune to being hit by cars what happen to me could have happen to a child on the footpath and a lot of them go faster than me. I saw one child today no helmet and because of my experience i felt like going out asking him where is his helmet.
I'm confused... if the brake and throttle are on the left, then you walk on the left side of the bike and you have them available to you.

Or is it that because your right arm is short you walk on the right side so it can reach the bar?

Find some clear flat ground and experiment with walking on the left, using the throttle with your left hand and controlling the bike with your left hand. A lot of work for one arm but I suspect that arm has a fair bit of strength!

You might consider a bit of tube attached to the right side bar angled so your right arm can reach it when you walk on the left. Something that can fold down and when folded up it is rigid. I can sort of see the kind of thing in my head but a lot depends on your exact body and the bike. Ah for the days of rec.metalwork when you could say "I need this" and some bright lad would pop up and do it! Anyone know someone handy with tools who likes a challenge?

Until then maybe an MTB bar end attached to the bars in about the middle of the vertical bit pointing left? Depending on how short the right arm is that might give you enough to manage with.

User avatar
antigee
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby antigee » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:11 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:29 pm
redsonic wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:24 pm
Not sure what state you live in? In Qld, for example, riding on the footpath is legal.
It might be possible to get your trike declared a mobility device for use by you on the footpath. There has been some recent media about this; a fellow managed to get an exemption for his electric skateboard as it was his best means of mobility with his disability.
Worth investigating given your difficulties walking with the trike.
We are a bit behind in Victoria. However i have contacted to Vicroads to see if such a exemption exists.
the Victorian TAC website says that you can get an exception to ride on the footpath because of a medical or health condition:

"Who can ride on a footpath
You can ride on a footpath if you:

......have been given and are following the conditions on a medical certificate that says you have a disability that makes it difficult for you to ride on the road. You need to follow the conditions on your medical certificate and show it to a police officer or authorised person when asked are an adult accompanying someone with a medical certificate cycling on a footpath."

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... s/bicycles

and click on infrastructure related rules

having said that and having experienced riding with my daughter when she was primary age it needs a lot of caution and we only ever did it to access quieter roads

back to the OP and sorry if stating the obvious: are there any groups in your area that support riders that need bike/trike modifications the solution maybe obvious to someone that has seen similar issues?

hunch
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:06 am

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby hunch » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:50 am

bychosis wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:09 am
Its illegal to ride footpaths in NSW, but I choose to ride the footpath on my commute. It is far more dangerous riding in a narrow lane while cars have sun in their eyes. I only occasionally see a pedestrian on this stretch and always ride around them on the grass or sometimes hop onto the road if there's a break in traffic.
I'm not entirely sure about a trike(or an electric powered one), the law in NSW was amended several years ago to allow an adult like the OP to use the footpath on a bike. Needed an authority from your GP to be carried and a yearly renewal. Probably have to encounter a cop having a bad day or be doing something dumb to be challenged otherwise.......members of the public being self-righteous are way more likely to cause issues.

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:27 pm

The Law is a ass. i got a fine today $192.00 by mail for riding on the footpath which is ridiculous. I only got caught because of the accident but they should be enforcing the law on everyone not just accidents and if they cant enforce the law then this law should be removed it isn't a very fair law. I could fight this in court but it would be too much hassle.

I am seeing the doc next week for the medical certificate exemption.
when it says You need to follow the conditions on your medical certificate. Would this mean certain roads i could ride on because i can ride on streets, bike lanes?

zebee
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby zebee » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:24 pm

dbr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:27 pm

I am seeing the doc next week for the medical certificate exemption.
when it says You need to follow the conditions on your medical certificate. Would this mean certain roads i could ride on because i can ride on streets, bike lanes?
That is going to depend on the doc. My guess is those would usually be things like "no being on the road after sunset" for people with vision problems or "only within a certain distance of home" for people with cognitive impairment.

It is possible the doc will want to put a condition like "only do 10kmh on footpaths" to match what mobility scooters are allowed to do.

I suggest you see how the doc approaches it. If they say anything but "here you go, don't hit pedestrians" you can talk about how the bike lane network is not really there and you have to use roads to link to it so you need to be able to ride on footpaths to do that, and to do basic things like shopping.

Zebee

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 7272
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:19 pm

dbr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:27 pm
The Law is a ass. i got a fine today $192.00 by mail for riding on the footpath which is ridiculous. I only got caught because of the accident but they should be enforcing the law on everyone not just accidents and if they cant enforce the law then this law should be removed it isn't a very fair law. I could fight this in court but it would be too much hassle.
That socks. Can you ask for a review without going to court? Perhaps get your medical certificate first, and ask for leniency based on your certificate and not knowing it was possible to get one or something similar. Don't just pay it up front.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

dbr
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Electric Trike Accident

Postby dbr » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:11 pm

bychosis wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:19 pm
dbr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:27 pm
The Law is a ass. i got a fine today $192.00 by mail for riding on the footpath which is ridiculous. I only got caught because of the accident but they should be enforcing the law on everyone not just accidents and if they cant enforce the law then this law should be removed it isn't a very fair law. I could fight this in court but it would be too much hassle.
That socks. Can you ask for a review without going to court? Perhaps get your medical certificate first, and ask for leniency based on your certificate and not knowing it was possible to get one or something similar. Don't just pay it up front.
I cant request a review because as far as i can see none of them apply to me. https://online.fines.vic.gov.au/Your-op ... t-a-review

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users